Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

A2W on street car?

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2008, 09:11 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bigredhelland

I do agree with you that a GOOD A/W setup cann run great... but we do get VERY hot in July and August... ESPECIALLY with our humidity levels where the moist air does not absorb the heat as fast and cooling is a greater problem. have you even been street racing in MN? It gets DAMN hot here!

Kind of true... But up here it doesnt matter as much what exact time you car runs at the track... as long as you can stay ahead of the guy next to you...

Ok... so we might NOT have a lot of passes go over 125mph on the street, but back to back is the norm around here and our cooling systems have to be able to handle it. We dont have a drag track and our cars dont generally get cool down time until were going home or the action is over. Many guys around here run a IC and METH or nitrous to help cool the IAT's

During january maybe... but in July or August when street racing is at its peak, It would be 100 deg. near you and 95 deg. here but we run 100% humidity for days on end. I have lived in Michigan and in Minnesota and MN is DEFINATLY hotter and more humid. i have been to Florida many times and we get just as hot as you do in our summer months.

I DO agree with you here! Design a system the meets or exceeds your needs and you wont have a problem, right? Our systems might not need to work as hard (as say someone's in Florida or a warmer area) for as long of a part of the year, But they DO need to work as good at certain times of the summer.

100 cubic feet... Are you serious??? wow i feel bad for the cars that you wrench on!
Lets say for example your using 4" tubing... that has a cross sectional area of approx. 12.5" square. now lets say that you need 15 feet (180 inches) of tubing to plumb from your turbo through the IC and to the TB... 180" x 12.5"^2 = 2250 cubic inches. A CUBIC FOOT (like the one you seem to be so famaliar with) has exactly 1,728 cubic INCHES... so now if we take the 2250 cubic inches of tubing between the turbo and the TB mentioned earlier and divide it by the 1,728 Cubic inches within a cubic foot we get 1.30 CUBIC FEET! Fact, its simple math. 1BadAction...
And as far as the Bugatti goes... Isnt that a 2 million dollar car??? Most of us are talking about our daily driver cars or our budget builds in these forums... I am sure that there is a forum somewhere that could use your insights on cars that cost 100 times more than most of us spend on our cars, Oh ****... there's that 100 number coming back again...

I am reading this thread because i am interested in what happens in the real world condiitions. My real world conditions mean that there is not a race track within two and a half hours from where I live (no time for ice on the street) and even that track isnt the greatest. MN has a LOT of street racing action because of this and the cars are getting faster than ever and costing more and more. I am, to a certain extent, interested in bang for the buck mods, reliability, and effectiveness. I dont have a RACE car, and like many people I am more interested in a streetable setup. It seems like nearly everybody has a street rod of some sort... MN street racing is taken pretty seriously, afterall the Car Craft summer nationals are held here for a reason!

I am getting some great info here and I really appreciate it! But for those of you who are blowing smoke for whatever reason... Please save your time.
What this thread could use is (more) numbers. I dont have a turbo car... yet. But for those of you who do and who can or who already are sharing your IAT numbers and other intelligent info, Thank YOU!
From what I already know and what I have read about, I think that either setup can work really well if designed properly to handle the job at task

Thanks for that post......I totally agree...but we getting passes over 150mph more and more....which is kinda scary.

Last edited by otherwhitemeat; 12-14-2008 at 10:08 AM.
Old 12-14-2008, 03:11 PM
Coal Mining Director

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by otherwhitemeat
I don't have time slip for you...but I dynoed at 1100rwhp at 24psi and should and I run 29-30psi on the street which is about 1200 + rwhp.....I just looked at a data log...and guess what...my air temp starts out at 76 degs and by the end of the run its at 78 degs!... No ****...If I need to I can try and post it for proof.....Btw that was at 27+ psi in a 94mm turbo.. The intercooler is about efficiency and I guess mine is pimp.....Oh look up TTcamaro on this web site he has the same intercooler with less power...he went 8.8 at 158....turned down... Yes both cars run c16...maybe we should try meth also. ;-)

Btw..you can never go over kill on an intercooler.
Nothing wrong with AtA. I went 8.9 at 155 at 3975lbs with one....and still run it.

No way you can run a 1/4mile at 29psi with only a 2 degree heat gain though...physics won't allow that with one sized for an fbod.....
Old 12-14-2008, 04:20 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by onfire
Nothing wrong with AtA. I went 8.9 at 155 at 3975lbs with one....and still run it.

No way you can run a 1/4mile at 29psi with only a 2 degree heat gain though...physics won't allow that with one sized for an fbod.....
That data log was not a 1/4 mile run...It was through 3 gears and I didn't power shift so psi went from 16psi to 27...in each gear......but still thats a good sample of an ata cooler that works well...I should have clarified about that log better....

What type and size ata do you have....Also what are your temps like?

Last edited by otherwhitemeat; 12-14-2008 at 04:27 PM.
Old 12-14-2008, 04:27 PM
9 Second Club

tom what was your heat gain?

Dave 3 passes back to back like that is bad ***...cant argue with that ind of performance.
Old 12-14-2008, 08:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

holy ****, I make a reply on 5 hours of sleep because I was WORKING ON MY VEHICLE and screw the math up, theres someone right here to snipe me. typical, cant argue the point so you start with the insults. 1.5 cubic feet is still 1.5 cubic feet of air to compress before it gets to the intake...

and btw, the bugatti is a perfect example of the virtues of an A2W, if an A2A was so great, they would have used one.

Last edited by 1BadAction; 12-14-2008 at 11:04 PM.
Old 12-14-2008, 08:21 PM
Coal Mining Director

Originally Posted by cablebandit
tom what was your heat gain?

Dave 3 passes back to back like that is bad ***...cant argue with that ind of performance.
I've used three differnt front mount ata intercoolers. Baby Incons, custom Bell with a 27" x 14" x 4" vertical flow (great for low pressure drop due to the many vertical channels)...not as great for thermal eff, and now a custom Speed Inc Bell Core Horizontal flow 24" x 12" x 6" monster IC. Horizontal flow core has more pressure drop ~ 3psi drop at 150lbs of flow (very roughly 2000cfm) at 20ish psi.

At 19psi and a charge beginning temp of 92F on a 85F day it will climb to 148-150F at the end of the 1/4 mile...recovers VERY FAST off wot. No meth. Probably wouldn't climb 12 degrees on a Dynojet pull though.
Old 12-14-2008, 10:15 PM
Teching In

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by 1BadAction
holy ****, I make a reply on 5 hours of sleep because I was WORKING ON MY VEHICLE and screw the math up, theres someone right here to snipe me. typical, cant argue the point so you start with the insults. 15 cubic feet is still 15 cubic feet of air to compress before it gets to the intake...
Bad action... I made my post on 3 hours of sleep and after a full day of work. You obviously saw that I was picking on you because your numbers were through the roof. You said 100 cubic feet so I showed you a perfect example of how it is mathamatically proven to be only about 1.30 cubic feet...
So then you read what I wrote and reply saying that its 15 cubic feet...
Did you ever take a math class? Did you not understand the math? Your numbers are so far off that I cant tell if your being serious or joking about it.

For example your logic is like me saying " Dude! I went on a date with this really FAT chick last night! She must have weighed 5,000 pounds!" or maybe "WOW, did you see that guy do a wheelie?!? He must have hung the front wheels for at least 3 miles!!"

15 cubic feet? Even if you are using a turbo built by the lord himself and need 5" plumbing... that would still require 110 feet of 5" tubing to equal 15 cubic feet...

YES a A/W will typically use LESS tubing to route the air, BUT not 15 cubic feet less... Maybe 1? cubic foot? Maybe 2?

Just think before you speak/type... thats all I am saying
Old 12-14-2008, 11:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yep, I generally forget important things like punctuation when I'm in a rush and smart asses are calling me out, thanks for pointing out my errors yet again. Care to critique some other posts of mine to let me know where I'm wrong?
Old 12-14-2008, 11:25 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

a2w on a street car is a big fat green check. oem's do it and so can you!
[/thread]

Quick Reply: A2W on street car?