Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

A2W on street car?

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2008, 07:03 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 2001-WS6
No you're missing the point. There isn't a disadvantage to running a properly setup A2W system on the street. You said it couldn't be done and there are plenty of cars here that doing it on a regular basis with as much or more heat and humidity than you run in MN.

Did you run a heat exchanger with your A2W setup?

Rick
I never said it can't be done....**** I did it for years!....and congrats if yours is up to pair....but by the sounds of it....unless you ice that thing, My ata will still out perform it on the street run after run.......thats the point!
Old 12-11-2008, 07:06 AM
TECH Resident

See, your IC is 30x5x19 that is bigger than my griffin radiator. You've easily got more money in your IC alone than our TTi A2W kit cost. Good thing ATA is cheap.

Rick
You get what you pay for.....better street performance....what are you putting down at the tire hp wise? I paid $1200 buck fro my old spearco ATW intercooler...and you dont have compairable bucks into your ATW ???? Also your turbo kit is a lot smaller then mine so you would have to upgrade to bigger stuff to keep up.......Which cost more!

Last edited by otherwhitemeat; 12-11-2008 at 07:15 AM.
Old 12-11-2008, 09:47 AM
9 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by otherwhitemeat
You get what you pay for.....better street performance....what are you putting down at the tire hp wise? I paid $1200 buck fro my old spearco ATW intercooler...and you dont have compairable bucks into your ATW ???? Also your turbo kit is a lot smaller then mine so you would have to upgrade to bigger stuff to keep up.......Which cost more!
Nope, the PT900 and the kit were included in the kit and total cost for all of it was probably what your spearco was when I bought kit number 3 years ago.

We've given some real world ETs, mph and weight numbers for what a little PT900 can do for some T4 turbos.

What's your T6 Turbo, ET and MPH so that guys can put it in perspective as to why you would need to fill up that much space for an IC that is that big? Sounds like its must be a mid 8s street car that's pushing 165mph on C16?

Rick
Old 12-11-2008, 12:52 PM
TECH Resident

Nope, the PT900 and the kit were included in the kit and total cost for all of it was probably what your spearco was when I bought kit number 3 years ago.

We've given some real world ETs, mph and weight numbers for what a little PT900 can do for some T4 turbos.

What's your T6 Turbo, ET and MPH so that guys can put it in perspective as to why you would need to fill up that much space for an IC that is that big? Sounds like its must be a mid 8s street car that's pushing 165mph on C16?

Rick
I don't have time slip for you...but I dynoed at 1100rwhp at 24psi and should and I run 29-30psi on the street which is about 1200 + rwhp.....I just looked at a data log...and guess what...my air temp starts out at 76 degs and by the end of the run its at 78 degs!... No ****...If I need to I can try and post it for proof.....Btw that was at 27+ psi in a 94mm turbo.. The intercooler is about efficiency and I guess mine is pimp.....Oh look up TTcamaro on this web site he has the same intercooler with less power...he went 8.8 at 158....turned down... Yes both cars run c16...maybe we should try meth also. ;-)

Btw..you can never go over kill on an intercooler.

Last edited by otherwhitemeat; 12-11-2008 at 01:24 PM.
Old 12-11-2008, 02:25 PM
9 Second Club

Ok, it's clearly winter time in the great white north and the bench racing has begun. We'll all look forward to you getting a chance to do something more aggressive than dyno racing your combo in the spring. Good luck with it at a the track after the thaw.

Rick
Old 12-11-2008, 04:16 PM
TECH Resident

Ok, it's clearly winter time in the great white north and the bench racing has begun. We'll all look forward to you getting a chance to do something more aggressive than dyno racing your combo in the spring. Good luck with it at a the track after the thaw.

Rick
I have raced this combo...on the street. Most the cars I race have track time and run between a 9.3 and 8.3 ....and I do just fine against them......and that's not bench racing....BTW did you read your pm?
Old 12-11-2008, 04:29 PM
9 Second Club

I have raced this combo...on the street. Most the cars I race have track time and run between a 9.3 and 8.3 ....and I do just fine against them......and that's not bench racing....BTW did you read your pm?
Street racing is kind of like dyno sheets though, neither one of them have anything to do with how fast your car really is.

Rick
Old 12-11-2008, 04:39 PM
TECH Resident

Street racing is kind of like dyno sheets though, neither one of them have anything to do with how fast your car really is.

Rick
....WEll the n you better stick to street racing 11 second cars or you'll get your *** handed to you...
Old 12-11-2008, 04:43 PM
Staging Lane

....WEll the n you better stick to street racing 11 second cars or you'll get your *** handed to you...
LOL good point, one you should know
Old 12-11-2008, 04:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

off topic at this point.

are a/w set ups WORSE on the street than a/a, definitely no. can they work just fine on the street, yes

fwiw i have never made 3 back to back 0-160mph street races in my life, nor seen or heard of it. if i make 3 back to back 3rd gear pulls then i was pobably in the middle of getting my *** handed to me.

normally all it takes is one third gear pull to get the job done. my a/w is totally ready for that as/is and will work as good as any a/a when it is happening. without running the pump or using the reservoir.

it only gets better when you do and ice up
Old 12-11-2008, 04:48 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Carnutz
LOL good point, one you should know
HA HA funny carnutz....whatz up? You step so you can keep up with the fast cars yet? BTW last time I street raced a certain blue stang went down
Old 12-11-2008, 05:00 PM
Staging Lane

HA HA funny carnutz....whatz up? You step so you can keep up with the fast cars yet? BTW last time I street raced a certain blue stang went down
Thats why I am here gathering info
Mark is fast (no pun intended) but there are a whole new bunch of fast cars in the area Just a little more covert.
How was your old set up? you seem to think the A2A is the way to go... I should have paid more attention when 5door had it and wanted to sell it. I am looking at trying a A2W and a heat exchanger, that way the "cruise" to the spot can be done, then when it s time turn the pump on and cool the core. You have to admit there is more and more B/S and standing and less and less racing.....part of the reason I was not around this summer, that an a shattered wrist.

Do you suppose one could cycle the water etc and not return it to the res while driving and then add the icewater tank in the mix when needed?
Old 12-11-2008, 05:20 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Carnutz
Thats why I am here gathering info
Mark is fast (no pun intended) but there are a whole new bunch of fast cars in the area Just a little more covert.
How was your old set up? you seem to think the A2A is the way to go... I should have paid more attention when 5door had it and wanted to sell it. I am looking at trying a A2W and a heat exchanger, that way the "cruise" to the spot can be done, then when it s time turn the pump on and cool the core. You have to admit there is more and more B/S and standing and less and less racing.....part of the reason I was not around this summer, that an a shattered wrist.

Do you suppose one could cycle the water etc and not return it to the res while driving and then add the icewater tank in the mix when needed?
Good I'm glad to hear more cars will be out....That makes it way more fun and more worth the money into these stupid cars.....Really ATA and ATW both work good on the street...Me and jake think the intercoolers we got are the best thing out there for ATA....the air temps don't go up more then a couple degs. and it weights 45# .. My old ATW set-up weighed with water 130#... when iced it was the ****...but by the time we got to street racing it was melted.....Jake, mark and me are just tired of the maintance and our intercoolers work better then ATW on the street so we are good...Well I had fun this summer beating up on turbo bikes and cars....I also am building a dart block over the winter with -12 heads and such....gonna stay 6 speed a little longer....I may have to go auto again to keep up, but every year I say it's time for an auto and the stick finds a way to win....Hoping to work on the dig race this year...May try the vht thing... How about your car? And who else is doing what?
Old 12-11-2008, 05:31 PM
TECH Resident

Do you suppose one could cycle the water etc and not return it to the res while driving and then add the icewater tank in the mix when needed?[/QUOTE]

I just fill the tank with ice before I left and cycled it when ready to cool the core....The thing is " as you know" on the street you can only leave or start with so much power and have to BRING IT ON as you go....well ATW is meant for having it all at the start, witch it not possible on the street...so an ATA set-up.....and not a cheap ebay one....makes more power the faster you go....AT THE TOP....which is where you need and can use it on the street...thats part of why we all run them around here.. Fr the AROUND HERE guys we are more about the street thing then the track so....you know..it's about having fun and more of it seems to be had on the street.
Old 12-11-2008, 06:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

MN and MI guys arguing about who has the hotter weather Give me a ****** break. You are *** deep in snow when its still 85 degrees down here, and all of the Typhoons that I have messed with sure seem to do well with their "sub-par" A2W intercoolers.
Old 12-11-2008, 06:08 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 1BadAction
MN and MI guys arguing about who has the hotter weather Give me a ****** break. You are *** deep in snow when its still 85 degrees down here, and all of the Typhoons that I have messed with sure seem to do well with their "sub-par" A2W intercoolers.
Lol.. Of course they do well.....they don't make any power....we have a lot of syclones and typhoons around here too....a lot of them carry a big *** igloo cooler in the back too...lol
Old 12-11-2008, 06:39 PM
8 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would like to thank everyone that has provided information in this thread
I would ask that we get it back on topic so its easy for others to see the technical aspects of the thread

I would love to see some install pictures of the big A2A coolers.
Does anyone have any information on bigger exchangers that shed the heat in the A2W exchangers?
Old 12-11-2008, 09:16 PM
12 Second Club

From what i have noticed all the guys that are in the 9 and 8 second club are for the A2W and all the other guys that run what ever in the 1/4 are for the A2A. That's funny.
Old 12-11-2008, 10:19 PM
Teching In

Default Pics

I have a big griffin intercooler... the core is 30x5x19..they sell these for $1500 bucks......your ATA intercooler is too small.....
Do you have pics of your intercooler installed. I m having a hard time mounting mine. My core is 28x5x18 35x18x5 tanks to tank. Thanks
Old 12-11-2008, 11:09 PM
TECH Senior Member

My Old A2A.....

Stenod Performance Built Air to Air Intercooler
Bell Core
24" Long by 6" Tall by 4.5" Thick
The above is just the core size
The core flows 2077 CFM

swapped it out for a PT1500 A2W unit........

Quick Reply: A2W on street car?