Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Twinscroll rear turbo idea

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2009, 03:03 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Twinscroll rear turbo idea

I have recently built a custom rear turbo kit for a Pontiac GradamGT, and I am absolutely loving the performance!!! I followed alot of advice on this forum (stock mani, exhaust wrap to the turbo, and turbo blanket) and, I was
thinking about doing the same thing to my Firebird even though it is only a six cylinder... Out of curiosity is anybody using a twinscroll turbo for their rear turbo V8vsetups??

I was thinking of a true dual setup using my Masterpower .70 AR turbo with
a divided housing and route each cylinder bank to both sides. At the same time I would use dual WG on each side closest to the turbine housing. Since the STS and custom rearmounts work so well with V8s I was thinking that you all could get some awesome results with a larger turbo and reduce lag and increase efficiency. Running the piping all the way back with true duals (no x pipe) would essentially have the same effect as a long divided exhaust manifold.

Here are some of the threads I was researching:

http://www.theturboforums.com/smf/in...?topic=45148.0
http://www.fullthrottlev6.com/forums...ad.php?t=49781
http://www.fullthrottlev6.com/forums...ad.php?t=49292

They all pretty much involve using the divided style of TC.

Also, any STS or rearmount users though about running the charge pipe along the passenger side of the car and up and over the fender well behind
the splash guarding (assuming you are using an intercooler). this would completely eliminate bottoming the kit. Flexpipe works extremely well. Check out the pics near the middle of this post.

http://www.grandamgt.com/forum/showt...t=75497&page=7
Old 01-04-2009, 09:32 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

We also have a thread about the idea here on ls1tech. I would love to see you try it, looks like it would work wonders to me.
Old 01-04-2009, 10:41 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by black98ws6ta
We also have a thread about the idea here on ls1tech. I would love to see you try it, looks like it would work wonders to me.
Yeah... I am still debating between the both. I am having alot of success with the Grandam. I figure someone might have already beaten me to this idea here. I would like to pick their brain if they had already.
Old 01-05-2009, 01:57 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

go for the fast spool valve/wastegate! it woil work better than a pure TS system. with the turbo at the rear the exhaust gasses have along time to 'mix' giving a much smoother flow than you normally get.

Chris.
Old 01-05-2009, 11:11 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by chuntington101
go for the fast spool valve/wastegate! it woil work better than a pure TS system. with the turbo at the rear the exhaust gasses have along time to 'mix' giving a much smoother flow than you normally get.

Chris.
Thanks for the advice!
Old 01-06-2009, 01:57 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 3800SII
Thanks for the advice!
dont take it as gospal mate and make sure you do alot of research.

having said that it would be really cool to see what these things could do for rear mounts....

Chris.

Quick Reply: Twinscroll rear turbo idea