Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Our race track just banned forced induction cars from street nights

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2009 | 12:07 AM
TECH Addict

If you moved your battery to the trunk you can't run. Non-OEM turbos, newer Eaton blowers (hi helix), twinscrews banned. Different tranny than was offered in your original car, banned.

LVMS rules = lame.

Put some pressure on the sponsor, MetroPCS. That can work a lot faster than trying to deal with LVMS management and some of the stupid PC answers they regurgitate on demand. An internet campaign saying MetroPCS encourages street racing (by sponsoring stupid rules at LVMS) would raise some red flags, for sure...

Jim
Old 01-09-2009 | 01:33 AM
8 Second Club

take it to the streets!

seriously, talk to the local news channel about how the track is helping streetracing make a come back with their rediculous rules, and i'm sure when it comes to street racing , the media will be all over it !

also try to get a hold of some one up in the ranks of the metro police dept of sherrifs dept, if you can talk to a cop and show him your point of view and see if he can help you get your voice heard or atleast lead you to a person who could.
Old 01-09-2009 | 06:57 AM
8 sec potential, 12 sec slip

Don't stop racing man... MOVE!
Old 01-09-2009 | 07:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

thats gay...at our track they could really care less unless your car is cutting some rediculous times and has no saftey equipment period.
Old 01-09-2009 | 09:12 AM
11 Second Club

Thats really stupid. And it seems they blamed it on oil down issues in that article towards the beginning (I just skimmed thru it). I got news for them, thats going to happen! You take your bone stock 1970 Chevy pickup out there with 200K+ miles on it, good chance it could douche oil/coolant everywhere. Lame excuse to have a 'street night' if you ask me.

You need to get several guys that go to that race and talk to them. Our local track started doing a more 'street oriented' test n tune with similar rules on Thursdays a couple years ago. They still have the test n tune night on Fridays as well. The track up in Tulsa has test n tune on Friday and midnight drags on saturday night. I'd think they could squeeze in another test n tune street oriented session some other night of the week. Afterall, they're just going to make more money.
Old 01-09-2009 | 09:33 AM
TECH Addict

It sounds like they just need to add a stock racing night for what they are trying to accomplish
Old 01-09-2009 | 09:36 AM
Banned

Let's see.. The hold SEMA there every year.. which promotes aftermarket products for your car, but then ban any car with aftermarket parts. ?? wtf

This kills us. Our corvette club (Hot Nevada Vettes) has an event there almost every month. Most of the cars are stock but I'm running a procharger and there's a couple guys with N2o. Looks like we're out!
Old 01-09-2009 | 10:14 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Todd157k
Let's see.. The hold SEMA there every year.. which promotes aftermarket products for your car, but then ban any car with aftermarket parts. ?? wtf

This kills us. Our corvette club (Hot Nevada Vettes) has an event there almost every month. Most of the cars are stock but I'm running a procharger and there's a couple guys with N2o. Looks like we're out!
You guys run with the TNT crowd so you are fine. It's the Midnight Mayhem event that is affected.
Old 01-09-2009 | 10:39 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Zombie
You guys run with the TNT crowd so you are fine. It's the Midnight Mayhem event that is affected.
Hope you're correct on that one. We're supposed to talk to them today and will verify that these dork rules aren't going to be all encompassing.
Old 01-09-2009 | 12:02 PM
FormerVendor

It will be funny when they all of a sudden have a street racing problem.
Old 01-09-2009 | 12:21 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by 87silverbullet
Sounds like you all need to come down here and run at 1 of the tracks we go to. The tech in goes like this

Track Official: " Do you have your helmet?"
You: " Yes sir I do"
Track Official: "What does it run?"
You: "9.80's, my buddy is going to ride with me to take some video"
Track Official: " Go ahead and ya'll have fun"
Ours would go on to say

Track Official: "Does your buddy have a helmet?"
You: "No."
Track Official: "Well, just make sure he has one next time."
Old 01-09-2009 | 01:08 PM
On The Tree

Our track you pay $10. at the gate, then go to the tower and sign a waiver, pay another $10 for your sticker and then you can run. No one looks at your car, they don't complain about helmets or cages or anything else. There are 10 second cars where the driver doesn't even have a helmet let alone anything else.
Old 01-09-2009 | 01:20 PM
10 Second Club

Guess it's time to get my car up to NHRA safety requirements and sacrifice some street manners so I can run TNTs. Talking to my fabricator tonight on his schedule to do the cage.

This makes me wish my setup was in a different car, like a 60's Nova post car. My car is going to have a 3950-4000lb raceweight after the cage and other gear
Old 01-09-2009 | 01:35 PM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by Zombie
Guess it's time to get my car up to NHRA safety requirements and sacrifice some street manners so I can run TNTs. Talking to my fabricator tonight on his schedule to do the cage.

This makes me wish my setup was in a different car, like a 60's Nova post car. My car is going to have a 3950-4000lb raceweight after the cage and other gear
If you take your personal saftey in the event of a mishap into consideration this isnt a bad plan... Your Car is awesome I was really impressed when I visited in November. You will get that 4000lbs sled into the 9's
Old 01-09-2009 | 01:50 PM
11 Second Club

I guess I misunderstood your original post. I didn't realize there was not tech/NHRA/IHRA inspections at all. All the tracks I've been to are either NHRA/IHRA so any event held there has that tech level. Kinda cool they let you race for soo long with no safety equipment, but with a car like that I think I'd feel much better off with at least a 6 pt/harness around me.
Old 01-09-2009 | 03:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Sue them.
Old 01-09-2009 | 03:14 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Black X
If you take your personal saftey in the event of a mishap into consideration this isnt a bad plan... Your Car is awesome I was really impressed when I visited in November. You will get that 4000lbs sled into the 9's
Safety at the track doesn't work as safety on the street most of the time since you aren't wearing a helmet which has been my concern. It is the reason I have waited so long to install a cage.

It's very hard to find someone who knows how to build something that will be safe at the track and on the street. Every car I have seen with a 6pt or 10pt in it will cause major injurys or even death without a helmet in an accident such as a t-bone on the street.

Unfortunately track workers don't understand that safe at the track can mean deadly on the street.
Old 01-09-2009 | 04:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Get a Darth Vader helmut and wear it on the street, lol.

As for the other project idea. Buy the Nova. Swap your drivetrain over. Find a wrecked Camaro and put it's drivetrain into yours. Done.
Old 01-09-2009 | 07:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Retarded to a hole new level. I would expect them to lose out on a lot of business very fast. So if they do put it in place i cant see them holding onto it very long.
Old 01-09-2009 | 10:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Well, I have been running at LVMS since they opened the new track, I think 1999 or 2000. It just keeps going down hill. They have no clue how to run the track. They should worry more about prepping the track than non OEM parts.
We still have "get togethers" with small groups of cars. They are more fun since you don't have to wait 3 hours for a run.

Last edited by TransAm2002; 01-10-2009 at 07:54 AM.

Quick Reply: Our race track just banned forced induction cars from street nights