Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

meth kits

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2009, 06:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default meth kits

For a SC system only running around 6 psi, is a "progressive" meth system neccesary?
I've been looking at the different kits because I've got fairly high (10.8) comp., to run a blower, but didn't know if I would need anythng besides the basic kit that mist during boost.
Old 01-09-2009, 06:34 PM
9 Second Club

Maybe not necessary but well worth having as it's much more adjustable. I have the AIS progressive set up, works real well:
Dual nozzels

Controller

Pump & tank
Old 01-09-2009, 07:02 PM
Launching!

alkycontrol, its a little more expensive but well wort it
Old 01-09-2009, 07:15 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I fail to see how a progressive system would help at such a low level of boost. Following MM's suggestion, I don't even activate my Stage 2 system until after I hit 4 pounds of boost. So that would give you a very limited boost range to go from "ON" to "FULLY ON". If all you ever did was 6 pounds of boost, of course.
The problem you will encounter, however, is that while a little boost is good, a little more is better. And even more boost is even better still. Based on this hypothesis, then, I would suggest planning for the future. On my system, for example, I have 3 different sized nozzles. For your limited boost level, you could use the small nozzle, go from "OFF" to "FULLY ON" almost immediately, and reap the benefits. Then when the boost levels go up, you can go with a bigger nozzle and start to use the adjustability of the stage 2 system.
Hope this makes sense.
Old 01-09-2009, 07:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by koolaid_kid
I fail to see how a progressive system would help at such a low level of boost. Following MM's suggestion, I don't even activate my Stage 2 system until after I hit 4 pounds of boost. So that would give you a very limited boost range to go from "ON" to "FULLY ON". If all you ever did was 6 pounds of boost, of course.The problem you will encounter, however, is that while a little boost is good, a little more is better. And even more boost is even better still. Based on this hypothesis, then, I would suggest planning for the future. On my system, for example, I have 3 different sized nozzles. For your limited boost level, you could use the small nozzle, go from "OFF" to "FULLY ON" almost immediately, and reap the benefits. Then when the boost levels go up, you can go with a bigger nozzle and start to use the adjustability of the stage 2 system.
Hope this makes sense.
That is basically what I was thinking. Not much room to "adjust".
I MIGHT want to go a little higher boost in the distant future, but not anytime soon. To get over the 600rwhp range, I would need to go forged, and beef up ALL of my drive train, and since I don't exactly make a living at racing, and I'm NOT made of money, I'll need to stay low boost on the car at my comp. level However, If the consises is that the non progressive are a waste of time, I will have to consider them.
Old 01-09-2009, 09:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Found on a meth kit site: Thoughts??

'Additionally,"knowing how much boost is being produced lets us know if were dealing with a narrow or wide range of boost. Thereby, helping us determine if a progressive or non-progressive water methanol injection system is needed to effectively support the engine.

For example, with low boost (4-6 psi) supercharged and turbocharged intercooled applications, generally all that is needed is a Stage 1 non-progressive type system."
Old 01-10-2009, 12:43 AM
TECH Apprentice

I would just get the stage 1 non-progressive. You will end up tuning it up full blast eventually on a progressive system, imo. Alky injection recommended for me just the stage 1 since I'm running a large FMIC event though i'm making 15 psi & 700+. It works fine.
Old 01-10-2009, 03:29 AM
9 Second Club

why dont you get some 317 heads and bring down the CR, add some boost and alot of meth i think you could make more power that way
the heads are cheap and you can still make good power on them
just my 2 cents
Old 01-10-2009, 07:04 AM
TECH Junkie

At this point, you should play all the "What if" cards.
What if you wanted to up the boost a little on your stock configuration? You would probably be O.K. with Stage 1.
What if you went with forged rods, & pistons with lower compression (and/or heads, as suggested above)? You may want a Stage 2 so you could raise the boost level more, the meth injection progressively, and still be safe.
What if you went with an intercooler? A Stage 1 would probably be O.K., since it would now be in a supporting role rather than the main IAT cooler.
What if you made changes that made a Stage 2 better suited to your needs? You would probably be purchasing a whole new system, leaving you with a used system to try to recoup some money from.
At your current level, either system would work, and you would save money now with the less expensive Stage 1. Just remember, a Stage 2 can always be set to work like a Stage 1. But a Stage 1 will never work like a Stage 2.
And as SilverSS alludes, if your jet(s) is(are) sized correctly, at your highest boost level the system should be fully enabled, or "full blast".

Last edited by koolaid_kid; 01-10-2009 at 07:36 AM.
Old 01-10-2009, 09:19 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I was planning a devils own kit.
Old 01-10-2009, 09:58 AM
TECH Enthusiast

How is the single (or dual) stage AIS systems activated. I didn't see (or read) anything in the system that could read boost. (Other systems have map sensors I believe)

Quick Reply: meth kits