Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

How much power is too much for dd...

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2009, 09:01 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How much power is too much for dd...

I have a 06 GTO, w/ a front mount twin turbo setup.57mils... The motor goes back in next week. I have a single 255walbro and 72lbs injectors with dual resistor boxes to convert impedance for low to high. I made about 650whp on 8 psi and meth when I chipped my #7 piston.

Fast forward a few weeks of down time, while the 370c.i. gets built I'm contemplating what odds and end might be my limiting factors once the motors been broken in. (1000mi.) is what I'm told.

So far the biggest thing I'm concerned about is fuel. I was gonna do a BAP but keep reading about how much of a "band aid solution" they are. So I think when the time is right I'm gonna do a Nasty Fuel Kit and be done with it. Which brings me to my final inquiry. HOW MUCH POWER IS OVER KILL FOR A DAILY DRIVER ON STREET RADIALS.

(I've ruled out slick for now cuz that's a slippery slope that requires by my math another 8k err so for 315's slicks, solid rear axle, suspension,mini tube and tranny 4L80E...) I currently have 275's on a 9.5 wheel and I've had one hell of a time keeping her pointed straight under full throttle. So I'm thinking 550-575whp is where I should stop until I can @ least do fuel. Please help me decide.
Old 01-18-2009, 10:54 PM
Grr
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

NEVER TOO MUCH POWER! I have DD'd a car for the last 3 summers that has had well over 600whp. Get a good electronic boost controller and youll never know the difference until you need it. In the unlikely event you are getting pulled on the highway, reach over and click in another 5psi
Old 01-19-2009, 12:12 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Grr
NEVER TOO MUCH POWER! I have DD'd a car for the last 3 summers that has had well over 600whp. Get a good electronic boost controller and youll never know the difference until you need it. In the unlikely event you are getting pulled on the highway, reach over and click in another 5psi
there's no doubt the motor is strong enough to make the power. The guys who's builds I'm copying said my block will be stout to 900whp or better. The thing I'm wondering about is if i do the fuel upgrade will it be even worth cranking the boost up if i cant hook/or control the power w/o hella money spent on slicks, mini tub, suspension, tranny etc !!??
Old 01-19-2009, 12:31 AM
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

It really depends on the cars setup and how boost comes on and what kind of tire you run. With 28" nitto drag radials i'm comfortable around the 700 rwhp range.

If your setup hits really hard and fast causing loss of traction you might only be comfortable with 500 rwhp. The cars setup really dictates the streetable power. From what i've experienced though most aren't very usable past the 700 rwhp mark. You will need dual pumps for more than 600 rwhp.

I have a cheap and reliable street trans/rear setup. 2.75 rear gears in my 9" and a TH400. Works great.
Old 01-19-2009, 01:21 AM
Banned

id say anything over 3000 is kinda useless in most street cars...more radical guys 4000ish...
Old 01-19-2009, 04:31 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

Take off the Nittos and put some M/T or M&H drag radials on the rear and you'll have a lot more usable traction. I don't know anyone these days who says you need to break in the motor for 1000 miles. Back in the '70's you needed to have an extended break in period for the cast iron rings. These days we get the part throttle tuning dialed in, we change the oil and we're ready for the wide open throttle tuning. Bob
Old 01-19-2009, 09:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

I am with this man^.

I take mine to the track to break in the motor. Break it in like your going to drive it
Old 01-19-2009, 10:10 AM
TECH Enthusiast

14,001 hp is the limit for a daily driver so says the Surgeon General. Anything under that is good to go!!

Last edited by jfg455; 01-19-2009 at 12:12 PM.
Old 01-19-2009, 10:56 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Exotic Performance Plus
Take off the Nittos and put some M/T or M&H drag radials on the rear and you'll have a lot more usable traction. I don't know anyone these days who says you need to break in the motor for 1000 miles. Back in the '70's you needed to have an extended break in period for the cast iron rings. These days we get the part throttle tuning dialed in, we change the oil and we're ready for the wide open throttle tuning. Bob
BOB...If u guys were closer trust me id be bringing u tha car to tune. My options where im at arent that great so, i gotta be careful. I'm most likely 1 of maybe 3 turbo v8's in town. Pll around here kno nuthing about forced induction. Only big cubes and old schools.(fail)

As far as tires. Drag radials wont be to good on the street especially if they get wet, and they wear so freakin fast, when u daily drive them. Im also trying to stay away from slicks cus i kno once i start to hook there goes the tranny and diff... 3k i dont have right now....

I just dont wanna break anything else, the down time im having now blows. I'm having boost withdraw "BAD"

Last edited by bravoboost; 01-19-2009 at 12:34 PM.
Old 01-19-2009, 11:18 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Zombie
It really depends on the cars setup and how boost comes on and what kind of tire you run. With 28" nitto drag radials i'm comfortable around the 700 rwhp range.

If your setup hits really hard and fast causing loss of traction you might only be comfortable with 500 rwhp. The cars setup really dictates the streetable power. From what i've experienced though most aren't very usable past the 700 rwhp mark. You will need dual pumps for more than 600 rwhp.

I have a cheap and reliable street trans/rear setup. 2.75 rear gears in my 9" and a TH400. Works great.
Well, i have a custom kit with very short IC piping with next to no bends, so she spools ridiculously fast. Full -spools about 3200rpms which is pretty good for .57mils ...How she stands, anything over half throttle in any gear under 3rd is a waste. It becomes a struggle just to keep her pointed st8. I only roll race for the time being in order to preserve my tranny and diff for now. I think im gonna leave it under 600whp
Old 01-19-2009, 11:26 AM
On The Tree

i don't get it you prob spent $10k+ for a motor that makes big numbers and then ur not going to spend the $$$ to be able to use it ?

i know a GTO guy that's making 600ish and the best he has mustered is a 13.2. He wanted to pulley up for more power yet didn't want to buy tires.

i guess its for bragging rights but really sounds lame to me
Old 01-19-2009, 11:34 AM
On The Tree

i plan on doing it later down the rode, my wallet has taken a beating this year. And by beating im mean far more than a weak 10k. THis **** expensive. NO part of my tt setup is a kit, all custom=$$$

Also not everyone lives for track numbers. I'm not after time slips in a controlled environment. I want to win racing in a real word application. With the power im capable of ill need a cage just to run at the track, with a automatic cut off switch for the battery thats relocated to the trunk etc etc . I cant even run at the track leagally right now lol.

Its easy to not understand this if u have nuthing much done to ur car. I used to say the same thing. Its basically like this. IN order to go further correctly, it will require another 8grand err so, that i dont have.
315's slicks=800.00
minitub=1800.00
SRA=2000.00
suspension=1500.00
diff=1000.00
twin walbros=700.00....GET THE DRIFT

Last edited by bravoboost; 01-19-2009 at 11:44 AM.
Old 01-19-2009, 11:50 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bravoboost
i plan on doing it later down the rode, my wallet has taken a beating this year. And by beating im mean far more than a weak 10k. THis **** expensive. NO part of my tt setup is a kit, all custom=$$$

Also not everyone lives for track numbers. I'm not after time slips in a controlled environment. I want to win racing in a real word application. With the power im capable of ill need a cage just to run at the track, with a automatic cut off switch for the battery thats relocated to the trunk etc etc . I cant even run at the track leagally right now lol.

Its easy to not understand this if u have nuthing much done to ur car. I used to say the same thing. Its basically like this. IN order to go further correctly, it will require another 8grand err so, that i dont have.
315's slicks=800.00
minitub=1800.00
SRA=2000.00
suspension=1500.00
diff=1000.00
twin walbros=700.00....GET THE DRIFT
Don't get mad at the crowd when you were the one that asked the question in the first place. They are all trying to help you acheive your goal and just bringing up valid points of draw backs to your plan. Call them your devils advocates.
Old 01-19-2009, 11:53 AM
TECH Resident

i have 696 to the wheels with my c5, just have to be careful!
Old 01-19-2009, 12:01 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by jfg455
Don't get mad at the crowd when you were the one that asked the question in the first place. They are all trying to help you acheive your goal and just bringing up valid points of draw backs to your plan. Call them your devils advocates.
I'm not upset in the least.
But I'm not building a car for bragging rights either. I just want usable power. And if not done correctly, there is a point u can cross where more will take the nature of diminishing returns, or breaking things unnecessarily.

Btw saying that im just lame, cus im trying to let my wallet recover for a bit is not "just trying to help" lol
Old 01-19-2009, 12:03 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 4SFEDZ
i have 696 to the wheels with my c5, just have to be careful!
thanx dude i feel like ppl with out this kind out power just dont understand how difficult it can be to keep this kind of power under control
Old 01-19-2009, 12:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

There was an article in car craft about a yr ago on this subject and all of the experts IE: engineers at turbo companies, nitrous companies etc said that 750HP is about all that you can reliably get to hold on the street. even that is tricky. A friend of mine runs around on 913hp at the crank and it is next to impossible to keep wheel spin in check. Any rain or dew and you are backwards at 2psi of boost. It's not due to his suspension set up either as he 60's in the 1.36ish 9.36 @ 147 on radials. 3300lbs car. He has since backed it down to a 10.0 car just to get better drivability.
Old 01-19-2009, 12:14 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by jfg455
There was an article in car craft about a yr ago on this subject and all of the experts IE: engineers at turbo companies, nitrous companies etc said that 750HP is about all that you can reliably get to hold on the street. even that is tricky. A friend of mine runs around on 913hp at the crank and it is next to impossible to keep wheel spin in check. Any rain or dew and you are backwards at 2psi of boost. It's not due to his suspension set up either as he 60's in the 1.36ish 9.36 @ 147 on radials. 3300lbs car. He has since backed it down to a 10.0 car just to get better drivability.
awesome thats the kinda feed back im looking for.... thanks a lot
Old 01-19-2009, 12:16 PM
On The Tree

anyone else's 2 cents
Old 01-19-2009, 12:27 PM
Staging Lane

Bravo: I saw you estimate that a SRA for the GTO is ~2K, but it could end up being much more than that because, to my knowledge there are 2 GTOs with solid axels.

Also, a problem with putting M/T drag radials (probally a 17" for the street) on a DD is the big "R" word (rain). Just another thing to think about.

Quick Reply: How much power is too much for dd...