Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

So am I the first one to blow up an LS6 manifold?

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2009, 08:14 AM
8 sec potential, 12 sec slip

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by kp
Thats the weakest part of the manifold, it may have been damaged or was just a weak casting as well. Little cracks turn into big cracks in a hurry with a decent amount of boost. I would think it would be easiest (and cheapest) to put another LS6 on. I have ran over 20psi on an LS6 intake and never blew one up.

Be happy it didnt pull out the fuel rail inserts and burn the car to the ground..
I'm just not very fond of the idea of replacing it with another composite manifold. I've got a bad taste in my mouth about them with boost now... I know there are lots of people who have had great success with the composite manifolds, but I'm not convinced anymore. lol
Old 01-21-2009, 08:33 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you say you put new eclectic fans in aftermarket?? maybe the charging is lower because the fans are drawing more and the fuel pump is not getting enough to keep up it sounds like you had a lean backfire which will pop that intake like a balloon
Old 01-21-2009, 09:38 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

first response as well is some sort of backfire, where was the timing at?

not a bad idea to pull the rockers real quick and compress each cylinder with air just to make sure they are all still sealing up, also roll the pushrods.

either way **** can happen, and it doesn't surprise me to see one let go here and there. i'm glad mine has not.
Old 01-21-2009, 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by the big kahuna
you say you put new eclectic fans in aftermarket?? maybe the charging is lower because the fans are drawing more and the fuel pump is not getting enough to keep up it sounds like you had a lean backfire which will pop that intake like a balloon
Doubt this was the case. The new fan I put on was just a replacement for the 16" procharger fan which died on me over the thanksgiving holiday. I added a small 8" fan additional, but i put it on a switch, and that switch was not on.. Its not pulling anymore amps right now than it was before. Plus, the a/f is always a little on the fat side. I have autometer nexus gauges and they are programmed to change colors when one of them goes into a warning zone. there werent any alerts when it happened or i would have noticed it out of the corner of my eye.

Originally Posted by MIGHTYMOUSE
first response as well is some sort of backfire, where was the timing at?

not a bad idea to pull the rockers real quick and compress each cylinder with air just to make sure they are all still sealing up, also roll the pushrods.

either way **** can happen, and it doesn't surprise me to see one let go here and there. i'm glad mine has not.
Good idea. I'll do a pressure check before I pull the heads off, and check the pushrods as well after I take the heads off. Timing is at 17° and thats with meth as i mentioned..
Old 01-21-2009, 11:04 AM
kp
8 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ChevyChad
I'm just not very fond of the idea of replacing it with another composite manifold. I've got a bad taste in my mouth about them with boost now... I know there are lots of people who have had great success with the composite manifolds, but I'm not convinced anymore. lol
Its like anything else, I ran a random tech torque arm in the 8s and others have bent them like a pretzel with 11 second cars and tell people they are junk and not to use them.

Like others have stated it could have been a backfire that took it out, valve float or just a millisecond of a crank sensor clipping, bad coil/plug wire etc and with 15+ psi and a little fuel in the intake will blow up a plastic intake pretty easy.

If you want to try something different thats another story..
Old 01-21-2009, 11:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by stangslayer98
i had something happen to me exactly how he explained it my engine was revving full throttle, it happend after someone gave me a jump cause my mexican alternator gave up and battery died only thing i dont have boost but my car does need a tune
Where does one find a mexican alternator?
Old 01-21-2009, 11:17 AM
Teching In

Looks like an easy fix, just some bubble gum and duct tape and your good to go! Honestly though that is a huge hole... As much as it does suck its a bad *** pic/story.

Survival of the strongest, and HP will always win! If it isn't one thing then it'll be another.
-CoryF
Old 01-21-2009, 04:07 PM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That's the first one I've seen nuked from an FI engine.
Old 01-21-2009, 04:16 PM
12 Second Club

Damn Chad !
Old 01-21-2009, 06:05 PM
Launching!

Chevy Chad, I also blew up an LS6 intake manifold about 3 years back. However mine was on nitrous instead of boost. My damage was not nearly as bad as yours was, but I still needed a new manifold. Mine was caused by fuel puddling and igniting in my manifold after a pass down the track, this was on a 150 wet shot. Had the same symptoms you claimed after. I went ahead and purchased a Weiand aluminum intake manifold, never had a problem after and ran way more bottles through the Weiand than the LS6. I wouldn't put another plastic/nylon manifold on there if it were my project. The only benefit about the material on the LS6 manifold is its ability to dissipate heat.
Old 01-21-2009, 06:29 PM

Originally Posted by omore001
Chevy Chad, I also blew up an LS6 intake manifold about 3 years back. However mine was on nitrous instead of boost. My damage was not nearly as bad as yours was, but I still needed a new manifold. Mine was caused by fuel puddling and igniting in my manifold after a pass down the track, this was on a 150 wet shot. Had the same symptoms you claimed after. I went ahead and purchased a Weiand aluminum intake manifold, never had a problem after and ran way more bottles through the Weiand than the LS6. I wouldn't put another plastic/nylon manifold on there if it were my project. The only benefit about the material on the LS6 manifold is its ability to dissipate heat.
Yea, heat dissipation is not really too much of a concern I dont think when you are flowing 1500cfm lol.. Thru my stock 85mm TB at 1500cfm, thats a velocity of almost 90mph that the air is being crammed into the manifold! That means, at most as it goes to the furthest cylinder back to #7 or #8 its got a total time of less than 10 milliseconds to heat up. Not that that even matters much anyways with the cooling properties of meth
Old 01-24-2009, 05:44 PM

Update: I got a chance to work on the TA a little today. Didn't do much, just pulled the valve covers and took the rockers off. Good news so far.. All the valves are in tact- no springs loosely rollin around under the valve covers, and all the pushrods are straight. Its lookin like its not a valve that was stuck open. I still need to do the pressure check on each cylinder. I'll probably do that tomorrow, and then take the heads off after that. Hope tomorrow goes as well as today did and I dont find anything else wrong.
Old 03-26-2009, 01:25 AM
Banned

I guess you were right in guessing the MAP sensor fell out, sorta...
Old 03-27-2009, 01:55 PM
TECH Resident

Any update?
Old 03-27-2009, 02:14 PM

yep- took the heads off and found a crack in the block. the saga is continued here: https://ls1tech.com/forums/forced-in...ve-caused.html

Quick Reply: So am I the first one to blow up an LS6 manifold?