Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

N20 to Forced Induction

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2009, 04:16 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Um new d1s are not much cheaper than a turbo system, especially if person has some skills and can cobble one together. My twin kit was 5500 shipped ,admit it was introductory price and came with intercooler all hot and cold piping every nut and bolt. Of course didn't come with tuning or fuel system. Also not sure why its so much simpler to do a D1. I didn't find my setup that complex at all. No recirc pump and intercooler looks stock in there as does the rest of the kit. Did need aftermarket k member but not a big deal.
And after driving a d1 ls1 I still like my twin turbo setup better. There is no comparison in area under the curve between the turbos and the d1. Peak power might be similar but its area under the curves that make all the difference in the real world.

That said I still woudn't mind a procharger someday on my 96z just to have a car with a super. Supers are neat in their own way.
Old 02-18-2009, 05:00 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 19trans_am98
i like turbo's but the lag is the only thing that turns me against them...plus they are a lil more aggravating to install
+1 for turbo

if the turbo is properly sized for the motor, you will not have that much lag.
also a turbo will be much more efficient, you will hit your power goals at lower psi.
Old 02-18-2009, 10:33 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

so about a 76mm turbo? or is that to big? thought about building one myself i have a welder and can fabricate pretty well
Old 02-18-2009, 11:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 19trans_am98
so about a 76mm turbo? or is that to big? thought about building one myself i have a welder and can fabricate pretty well
theres no such thing as "too" big a turbo
Old 02-19-2009, 08:36 AM
8 sec potential, 12 sec slip

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ummm yea, a procharger is a ton easier than any turbo setup! You have hot side and cold side piping to deal with = twice as much piping to figure out and route. There are oil lines you have to run to and from the turbo(s) along with pumps, etc. etc. With the procharger, there is a bracket and a belt. Couldnt be simpler. Plus you can use off the shelf exhaust systems and not have to worry about if it will work with whatever turbo kit you have. Plus, there are not many turbo kits that allow you to keep your AC. Oh, and the tuning on a s/c car is a ton easier too since it acts pretty much like a big c.i. N/A motor with a linear powerband. That linearity also equates to predictability on the street as well... To each his own tho. Yes, turbos will be more efficient and probably make a little more power under the curve, but IMHO anyways, its not worth the complexity factor.
Old 02-19-2009, 09:55 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Turbos have a lot more than a little more power under the curve ! Compare some dyno graphs. Now roots or twin screw types do alot better than centrificals even beating the turbos down low sometimes with massive torque at very low rpms ,which can make hooking up the roots or twin screw blower very hard to do.

They way the power comes on with the centricals can help some with traction problems.Agree on that.
My system keeps the air, doesn't use recirc pump. You do have to run oil lines,water lines and had to make a couple holes in the oil pan to install the oil return fittings. My setup uses custom with the kit stock type exhaust manifolds and just had to buy a
hooker ypipe to connect to my basically stock style exhaust. System has intercooler like a procharger so of course has some cold piping .

Price was pretty close to procharger setups.
And once its installed really whats the big deal. So it takes some extra time.Guess if paying shop to do the install that could add up to significantly more install cost.

As you said its personal taste mostly. Both power adders work and add a lot of power. Procharged cars do great usually at the track. I have driven both and the turbos are to me much more impressive on the street especially at lower rpm. You can of coures gear down if you are in a higher gear to bring boost up quicker in the centrifical just as you can gear down with turbo to bring boost up quicker. Mostly just when you are running up thru the gears where you really notice the difference between the turbos and the procharger.

And still seems to be some belt issues with the prochargers with guys buying addtional stuff to stop belt slippage or maybe that is only at high boost levels? Self contained oiling is nice for sure.

The next big developement in both turbos and supers will likely be magnetic bearings. No oil or water required and they would spin up way faster with much less friction. This could be the golden age for turbos and supers.