Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Add another S480 Build to the ranks!

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2010, 03:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

made the transition cone from scratch and the 4" piping I think was from summit or race part solutions
Old 04-16-2010, 03:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

dont worry the 408 will get the same treatment the 346 would have gotten
Old 04-16-2010, 07:50 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

damn i need to figure out how to make that transition as i'm probably gonna just run it out the back to a 4

yeah i know the 408 will get beat on i just wanted to see how the 346 would hold up to a huge as turbo like that!
Old 04-17-2010, 09:45 PM
9 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

We can make you one if you need to, or you can get a neck down from race part solution i think as well. Also, I think tti can get you one as well.

Sorry about this car "disappearing" for a while. You know how it goes, work and family come first, and finally the car is getting finished up
Old 04-20-2010, 11:53 AM
9 Second Club

Ok, here's a direct pull on the "updates" from our local board. Sorry for no pics. For anyone willing to actually read through all of this, feel free to ask for pics of anything in particular! I'll be happy to take them and post up!

Why Not update this thread, huh?

No pics, sorry, haha. If there's anything in particular you want pics of....just ask! Otherwise, come see it in person at the DBR show this weekend or at the May 1 cruise in.

OK, have a few minutes so thought I'd at least get a written list of what we've done.

To say the least, my tatershack crew is the best in the business. For these guys to put their own toys aside to get this goal accomplished is a awesome feeling!

Here's a bullet point run down of what's been going on with this car. A lot of it we had started on, but had to stop at some point. This is mostly all "done" projects now.

1) Installed Midwest Chassis SHORT STYLE torque arm. Need to set pinion angle, but that's a last minute thing.

2) Installed converter and Transmission. This required the converter to be sent back to FTI as they had the wrong Pilot on it. No biggie and it was gone and back within 3 days. Very impressive turnaround by FTI. The Trans and the converter were and utter nightmare to install. I'm sure the boys can chime in more on that, as I had obvious family issues that kept me from helping here.

3) Installed midplate.

4) Made new seat brackets for passenger seat and mounted passenger seat.

5) Moved over harness holing bars that were mounted incorrectly 4" to far inboard of the car. Sounds simple, but involved cutting off the mount, then grinding down welds, then re-welding to the cross bar. Thanks to Blue on this on, his welds were EXCELLENT!

6) Quint and I corrected the seat brackets on the driver’s side. The seat was leaning just a touch, so we made some spacers, welded them in, and the seat is "like fire" now.

7) Installed trans dipstick tube. Not really exciting other than Quint and I made a custom bracket to mount the tube to the passenger side head, haha.

8) Grinded down all our dzeus rivets, and aligned the hood so it fully clips down.

9) Mounted the last two back rivets for the "wings" on the end of the hood. Props for tater's impromptu bracket there!

10) Finished making water pump lines. They now fully run through the driver’s side fender well and through a bulkhead and back into the motor.

11) Ran power to water pump and switch on master panel works.

12) Tater fabbed up the skeleton for the front support and the last two dzeus' that hold the hood down. This also simultaneously reinforces the front bumper (hard to explain, haha). It basically ties together the front bumper and car and hood.

13) Ran Trans shifter line and got it adjusted out (a real PITA, but it turned out nicely!)

14) Adjusted back the rear end a little to re-center it.

15) Bought and mounted kill switch. This includes a little bracket we made that Gooch painted up nicely.

16) Finally mounted down the battery and box cleanely with weld nuts and the battery hold down and closed up the battery box properly.

17) BIG hit: Blue, Tater, and I spent the better part of 6 hours cleaning up the wiring on the FAST XFi system. It was an utter cluster ****. I'm not getting into it, but let's just say I am ALOT more confident with the wiring than i was before.

18) Made a custom mount for XFi and XIM boxes. They are now mounted right behind the shifter where the stock center console would have been. I came up with the idea and Tater, Blue, and maybe Quint made it into reality! Finally it looks clean, is easily accessible, and balances form and function well.

19) Started on water vapor lines. Had custom distribution block made by mike, and then had tater make the mounting bracket. Then we tapped the water vapor outlets on the heads and installed an fittings. They will all run to a single block, and then from there it'll run a single line back to the radiator. CLEAN.....but expensive.

20) Re-ran main power line under the car

21) Ran trans cooler lines.

22) uuumm....is that it?

23) Installed new valley cover. Basically it's a AEIcnc special that delete's the factory knock sensor holes.

24) Removed the headlights from the headlight covers. Tater is going to permanent mount these to the front bumper. Those headlight assemblies are HEAVY.

25) Wired up taillights/blinkers/running lights for the rear of the car.

26) Finally figured out the DS issue, i think. I bought a new yoke for the front, and will try to use my old Driveshaft to "get me by" for the cruise in. It needs to be lengthened about 1" for race ready, but this'll get us rolling. *EDIT* this idea BRICKED big time, so the driveshaft is being made right now.

27) I think that's it...there is SO much stuff going on with this car right now, it's insane guys!

28) The guys at DBR completely ran and installed all the brakes for the car. Thanks to them, the car now has all new lines, porportioning valves for front and rear, and stainless steel braided lines. They also mounted the Line Lock in a trick location that is hidden, but accesible. KILLER work!!!

This was yesterday i made this list. Last night, I finished the an lines for the distribution block, and Tater is probably at 70% on the wiring for the new body wiring harness we made from a EZ 21 wiring kit.
Old 04-25-2010, 09:52 PM
9 Second Club

......small update.... :-) please update the commentary, haha, and the wind noise

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dfxKS...=youtube_gdata
Old 04-25-2010, 10:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

looks and sounds badass
I dont think i would like those curvey roads tho. "lookout, its a racecar" lol
Old 04-25-2010, 11:49 PM
TECH Senior Member

Sweet I got to see it before I deploy!! Thanks guys.
Old 04-26-2010, 09:15 AM
9 Second Club

Old 04-26-2010, 09:29 AM
TECH Enthusiast

We will get a vid ASAP, We were dodging rain and just wanted to make a trip down the road
Old 04-26-2010, 10:51 AM
9 Second Club

AAAAANNNNNDDDDDD the aftermath of the first drive, hahahaha

Apologies for the blurriness on this one...it was getting a little heated, and out "photagropher" was shooting..... 'from the hip'

Old 04-26-2010, 10:55 AM
TECH Enthusiast

haha, what'd the cops say? and how did they know where you lived? haha. Was the garage door open or something? I would have told them to get lost if they didn't have a warrant to search the garage lol.
Old 04-26-2010, 10:59 AM
TECH Enthusiast

No they were cool as ****, the guy in the video standing in the street yelling at us called them.... At first it was a little heated but once we showed them that the TA was "street legal" they calmed right down and we invited them in to check it and a couple other cars we had in the shop out, The trooper is the one that pulled me over about 3 years ago going about 145-150 in a 70 and let me go with a warning.
Old 04-26-2010, 11:05 AM
9 Second Club

Yea, this pic looks bad:

In reality the conversation I was having:

PoPo: How are you cooling the charge? I dont see an intercooler?
Me: O, It's a A2w we mounted inside the car.
PoPo: Now I'm guessing this car is back halved?
Me: Hell no, that's weaksauce. Real men get it done on a street tire and stock-style suspension!
PoPo: Waving hand "You're telling me this thing is running on a drag radial? I'll tll you what!...."

He was a cool-*** guy!!!
Old 04-26-2010, 11:34 AM
TECH Enthusiast

haha, very nice guys. Does TN have emissions laws? If so how is it "street legal" with no cats lol. If not, ignore.

Also, I know some states have laws against side exit exhaust but I wasn't sure about laws in TN. At least the cops were cool about it!
Old 04-26-2010, 11:58 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by reamo04
haha, very nice guys. Does TN have emissions laws? If so how is it "street legal" with no cats lol. If not, ignore.

Also, I know some states have laws against side exit exhaust but I wasn't sure about laws in TN. At least the cops were cool about it!
Our county has no emmision laws and i dont know about the exhaust but since it doenst have a muffler jsut the turbo they could give you a ticket for that but i would gladly pay the $50 fine for that lol thank you sir may I have another!
Old 04-26-2010, 12:06 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by Tricked-Out-Toy
Our county has no emmision laws and i dont know about the exhaust but since it doenst have a muffler jsut the turbo they could give you a ticket for that but i would gladly pay the $50 fine for that lol thank you sir may I have another!

Yea, technically there is no muffler, and there is no state law(that i know of) that says the exhaust has to exit anywhere in particular. REalistically, the car is quieter now than it was back when it was a nitrous motor(1 3/4 stepped to 1 7/8 primaries, 3.5 collectors, 3.5" spiral flows off the collectors).

We can always make a "muffler" if that problem ever arose. The car has full blinkers/ brake lights/parking lights/headlights/DRLs, etc. All factory wiring is 100% GONE. We re-did the entire harness with a EZ-21 mini kit. Car also has current tags, registration, insurance, etc.
Old 04-26-2010, 02:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

yeah, i just wasnt sure about the emissions. we have no emissions here either so its free for all on what you want to do with the cars
Old 04-26-2010, 05:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

I don't see why the cops were needed. Everything seemed perfictly fine
Old 04-26-2010, 08:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Reject
I don't see why the cops were needed. Everything seemed perfictly fine
i agree here, the only thing I can think of is the guy in the video called it in as a "race car" due to the graphics and parachute.

Quick Reply: Add another S480 Build to the ranks!