Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Should I ditch the PCV valve?

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2009, 07:35 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Should I ditch the PCV valve?

What did you guys do? I have everything together for my catch can setup but wanted to know what everyone else did before I deleted it.
Old 03-02-2009, 07:53 PM
11 Second Club

How do you have all of the lines routed?

Supposed to have a clean and dirty side. Dirty side goes from one valve cover, to pcv valve, to the catch can, to check valve, to manifold post throttle body. The clean side goes from the valve cover to the non pressurized side of the turbo (between the air filter and the turbo)

You already know I just ran my lines to a breather tank.
Old 03-02-2009, 07:57 PM
formerly turbo4.8 (2014-06-25)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ditch the pcv and put the catch can in there!
Old 03-02-2009, 08:12 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by 98Camarod
How do you have all of the lines routed?

Supposed to have a clean and dirty side. Dirty side goes from one valve cover, to pcv valve, to the catch can, to check valve, to manifold post throttle body. The clean side goes from the valve cover to the non pressurized side of the turbo (between the air filter and the turbo)

You already know I just ran my lines to a breather tank.
Each valve cover has a 3/8 line, each with a check valve going to the catch can, then I have a "clean" clear 1/2" line coming from the catch can to the air filter.

Originally Posted by turbo4.8
ditch the pcv and put the catch can in there!
Thanks
Old 03-02-2009, 08:26 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by WS6HUMMER
Each valve cover has a 3/8 line, each with a check valve going to the catch can, then I have a "clean" clear 1/2" line coming from the catch can to the air filter.

Thanks
From my understanding you don't want it to run that way. You want two separate paths, one for the dirty side and one for the clean side to properly vent the crankcase. Here's a good post by Aaron, see post #69 and 70. There are configurations for n/a and turbo setups:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...ting-ok-4.html
Old 03-02-2009, 09:06 PM
10 Second Club

From my understanding you don't want it to run that way. You want two separate paths, one for the dirty side and one for the clean side to properly vent the crankcase. Here's a good post by Aaron, see post #69 and 70. There are configurations for n/a and turbo setups:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...ting-ok-4.html
Thanks, I guess I need to go back to the drawing board, I thought all I would need is a way for excess pressure to be removed from the crank case. I guess I'll do a little more research. The only thing I dont understand is why would you want to route pressure back into the crank case like those daigrams show?
Old 03-02-2009, 10:22 PM
TECH Addict

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Thanks, I guess I need to go back to the drawing board, I thought all I would need is a way for excess pressure to be removed from the crank case. I guess I'll do a little more research. The only thing I dont understand is why would you want to route pressure back into the crank case like those daigrams show?
How is pressure routed into the crankcase?
Old 03-02-2009, 10:38 PM
10 Second Club

Just run breathers. Its easier. And no oil in the intake.
Old 03-03-2009, 08:16 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by 405HP_Z06
How is pressure routed into the crankcase?
Why do you need to put air back into the crank case? I thought the point was to evaccuate crank case pressure, routing a "clean" air line back into one of the valve covers seems that it would indicate that you're putting something back into the crank case. Even if you check valve the line on a breather to vent positive pressure why even bother putting the vaccum back into the crank case, is there some advantage to this over ditching the PCV valve and just running a catch can?

Last edited by WS6HUMMER; 03-03-2009 at 10:21 AM.
Old 03-03-2009, 07:01 PM
11 Second Club

I think the the clean air routing actually assists in relieving the pressure because its actually pulls it out of the crankcase. Could be wrong, maybe Aaron can elaborate on this
Old 03-03-2009, 07:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Default same here!

Originally Posted by SPRAYED 01
Just run breathers. Its easier. And no oil in the intake.
This is what i did and if your engines built right ? you wont see any oil on the valve covers after a boosted run
I used 2 of these GM part # 25534398 Its the CHEVROLET LS valve covers for my build!This has the breather grommet in it! Heres a pic!
http://s243.photobucket.com/albums/f.../APs%20Engine/
Im pretty sure GM has other brands instead of these CHEVROLET ones pictured here!
Old 03-03-2009, 08:05 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by barnat
This is what i did and if your engines built right ? you wont see any oil on the valve covers after a boosted run
I used 2 of these GM part # 25534398 Its the CHEVROLET LS valve covers for my build!This has the breather grommet in it! Heres a pic!
Im pretty sure GM has other brands instead of these CHEVROLET ones pictured here!
I never thought of using stb for coil relocation, good idea. As for the breathers, I had two breathers on mine, but i had an oil all over the engine bay. The breather tanks seem to be working thus far though.
Old 03-03-2009, 11:13 PM
TECH Addict

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

I think the the clean air routing actually assists in relieving the pressure because its actually pulls it out of the crankcase. Could be wrong, maybe Aaron can elaborate on this
No need to elaborate, your correct. On a boosted application, there are two conditions that must be addressed. 1) PCV system flow during negative intake pressure and 2) PCV system flow during positive intake pressure. If you CAREFULLY read the thread referenced above and think about PCV system flow during these two conditions you will understand.

98Camarod,
What configuration did you end up with?
Old 03-04-2009, 04:41 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 405HP_Z06
No need to elaborate, your correct. On a boosted application, there are two conditions that must be addressed. 1) PCV system flow during negative intake pressure and 2) PCV system flow during positive intake pressure. If you CAREFULLY read the thread referenced above and think about PCV system flow during these two conditions you will understand.

98Camarod,
What configuration did you end up with?
Saikou Michi never got back to me, so I ended up running two breather tanks. After all that I didn't even use the information. I've just been spreading your knowledge when the questions arise and send them to your diagrams
Old 03-04-2009, 07:51 AM
10 Second Club

Yeah it pulls it out but then puts it right back. What I want to know is is there some advantage to this?
Old 03-04-2009, 07:57 AM
10 Second Club

Saikou Michi never got back to me, so I ended up running two breather tanks. After all that I didn't even use the information. I've just been spreading your knowledge when the questions arise and send them to your diagrams
LOL I must have came across you posting that same link on 4 other threads when I was searching this topic.

So you still dont have a PCV system?
Old 03-04-2009, 04:01 PM
11 Second Club

LOL I must have came across you posting that same link on 4 other threads when I was searching this topic.

So you still dont have a PCV system?
Its a good reference and has all the diagrams and information in there.

I don't, I just have a line from each valve cover going to their own breather tanks. Just in case my motor is trashed, I didn't want all that oil into the IC and intake. I'll find out soon enough I guess, everything seems alright so far though.
Old 03-04-2009, 04:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I put a breather on each valve cover with a sealed catch can connected between the valley cover and the supercharger intake. My theory is that this will allow air to circulate threw the engine clearing out all the harmful fumes and also allow pressure an easy way to escape when needed. Unfortunately I have not had the chance to test this setup so I can't say for sure that it works well. Hopefully I won't have oil going all over the place from the valve cover breathers. If I have a problem with oil comming out of the valve cover breathers I'm going to replace the breathers with a couple vented catch cans. I don't want to spend the money unless I have to though.

Last edited by Black01M6SS; 03-04-2009 at 04:24 PM.
Old 03-04-2009, 05:01 PM
10 Second Club

Its a good reference and has all the diagrams and information in there.

I don't, I just have a line from each valve cover going to their own breather tanks. Just in case my motor is trashed, I didn't want all that oil into the IC and intake. I'll find out soon enough I guess, everything seems alright so far though.
Thanks, I think I'm just gonna stick with my original plan and run my dual inlet baffled catch can and a 1/2" line to the turbo inlet for vaccum and eliminate the PCV valve. I know oil in the intake has never been a problem with your car but mine has since day one, I've had my car for 7 years and it just now has 56k.
Old 03-07-2009, 01:28 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by barnat
Why don't more people do this?

Quick Reply: Should I ditch the PCV valve?