Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Zombie's "Quick Spool" valve testing with pics and nerd like graphs

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2009, 12:16 AM
9 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Zombie
Will have to wait to find out if it will improve or not, 9's are not easy. Was going to go to the track tomorrow but I just found a pretty good sized oil leak. Don't know exactly what it is but I'm suspecting it's the oil return line or the rear main seal. Don't want to chance it getting worse or drip oil down the track no matter how much I hate LVMS. I thought it was just excess oil burning off from when I coated my engine bay from the oil cap not being on tight but the top of the engine is dry since I cooked it all off.

It's a real bummer, I wanted to see how the car could do with track prep
Bring that bitch to BAKO!!!!!
Old 03-08-2009, 12:36 AM
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ninetres
Bring that bitch to BAKO!!!!!
come to Vegas with your truck and trailer to pick me up and we'll go to bako!

9's don't count unless I run them in Vegas though, it's Vegas house rules. Come to Vegas and we'll run heads up at Midnight Mayhem!
Old 03-08-2009, 04:31 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

9's don't count unless I run them in Vegas though, it's Vegas house rules. Come to Vegas and we'll run heads up at Midnight Mayhem!

Record it!
Old 03-08-2009, 02:47 PM
9 Second Club

You won't want to see me this season

JK lol. I do have a buddy who lives in Vegas and says I am always welcome to stay there. I'll try to make it out there this year......JUST TO BUST YOUR SPOKES!!!!!!! lol

PS---I'd be worried about my tow rig making the haul across the desert lol.
Old 03-08-2009, 06:59 PM
10 Second Club

At least you have a tow rig. Only other vehicle I have is a C5 Z06. Your setup does look a bit sketchy though. Don't know how well it would pull baker grade.
Old 03-08-2009, 11:19 PM
9 Second Club

At least you have a tow rig. Only other vehicle I have is a C5 Z06. Your setup does look a bit sketchy though. Don't know how well it would pull baker grade.
Maybe I can rent a UHAUL LQ9 truck lol. I'll beat the crap outta that. My truck HATES pulling grades. Likes to drop to 2nd gear and rev to the moon forever lol.
Old 03-09-2009, 10:12 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Guys the valve does work GREAT indeed as we have tried some homemade ones before. You will need a twin scroll housing for it to work though. All our Borg Warner all the way up to the custom 88's and 91's are twin scroll. Also the FI-88X all the way to our FI-98X is twin scroll optional as well. Also the GT42's, and GT45's in DBB and Non DBB are also twin scroll, AND, for you rear mount guys, we have the TC76's and TC78's in twin scroll as well!!!!

Zombie told us he was going to test this and post the results once he had everything done...I'm glad he did. Great job Zombie....let us know if you need something else. Jose wants to get that car in the 9's even way up in the clouds where your at...lol
Old 03-09-2009, 11:48 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

what is the point of a twin scroll other than being able to use this valve. do they have any disadvantages or advantages over a standard housing?
Old 03-09-2009, 12:31 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by DrTurbo
for you rear mount guys, we have the TC76's and TC78's in twin scroll as well!!!!
Those turbos on a valve setup like this would be nothing but wheel spin. Would be ridiculously fast spool.

Originally Posted by DrTurbo
Zombie told us he was going to test this and post the results once he had everything done...I'm glad he did. Great job Zombie....let us know if you need something else. Jose wants to get that car in the 9's even way up in the clouds where your at...lol
I wanted to run it without the valve first to see how it would do, but the opportunity presented itself to try this out. I've talked to one other person and read another account of people running a valve setup like this and they saw no difference in measured back pressure so I decided to install it since it should not make any difference in high rpm power.

I won't know for sure what kind of gains I got from the turbo upgrade if any until I get on the track and it's hooking for me. The 131 mph on 13psi isn't too bad, but it was spinning the entire pass. I think it should go 133-134 on 13psi as long as it hooks up. Hopefully I'll have better luck on my next track outing.

It is possible that I have hit the wall and my tiny i/c piping is at it's flow limit.
Old 03-09-2009, 01:07 PM
TECH Apprentice

So help me out here, essentally you are blocking flow from the exhaust right? How would this create the turbo to spool faster if flow is reduced??
Old 03-09-2009, 01:18 PM
Launching!

all the exhaust gas gets diverted to one side incresing the velocity heat and volume to aid in spool and in essence you halfing the A/R...once it reaches a preset psi it opens then the housing's other side isnt blocked off and allowed to use both side of the twin scroll and......
Old 03-09-2009, 01:19 PM
TECH Apprentice

So there are 2 vains in there?? Sorry new to this. Could this be benificial in a twins setup?
Old 03-09-2009, 02:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

http://www.fquick.com/videos/Sound_P...ool_Valve/7761

???
Old 03-09-2009, 02:24 PM
TECH Apprentice

sorry, I meant the turbo has 2 seperate AR wheels??
Old 03-09-2009, 02:42 PM
Teching In

Hello this is Richard. I just got back from the NMRA race in FL, so sorry I have not been on here yet. I don't want to do any advertising until I talk to someone about sponcership of the site.
So if anyone can help me with getting this done please contact me.
Old 03-09-2009, 03:10 PM
9 Second Club

The 131 mph on 13psi isn't too bad, but it was spinning the entire pass. I think it should go 133-134 on 13psi as long as it hooks up. Hopefully I'll have better luck on my next track outing.
***THEORITICALLY SPEAKING***
If you hooked on the same PSI you would run a quicker ET at a slightly lower (or the same) MPH.
Old 03-09-2009, 03:13 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by TXZ0603
sorry, I meant the turbo has 2 seperate AR wheels??
No, there is only one turbine wheel. If you block off one of the volutes on a divided housing you now have 1/2 the a/r you originally had. A 1.0 a/r becomes a .50 a/r. It's not exactly half though due to some bleed over that occurs inside the housing. As pressure rises the valve open the other volute up and you go back to the 1.0 a/r. You now have a variable a/r turbo.

I'll try to get some video of my car spooling this week.
Old 03-09-2009, 03:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by PrformanceMetalWorks
Hello this is Richard. I just got back from the NMRA race in FL, so sorry I have not been on here yet. I don't want to do any advertising until I talk to someone about sponcership of the site.
So if anyone can help me with getting this done please contact me.
Sponsorship info can be found here:

http://www.internetbrands.com/autonetwork

There should be a 1800 number listed there too.

Thanks,
J
Old 03-09-2009, 03:57 PM
TECH Apprentice

So in a twin setup would it be beneficial? I ave .48s now but was going to upgrade to .63s in either a T04Z or a GT35R
Old 03-10-2009, 03:49 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It would be just as beneficial on twins as it would a single. You could run much larger a/r's or even turbo's with divided housings, a quick spool valve, and have the same spoll with more power potential.

Quick Reply: Zombie's "Quick Spool" valve testing with pics and nerd like graphs