Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

turbo cam

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2009, 06:49 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sorry for some what being a new be on cams. i thought lsa helped with the lope sound. my bad.

i will give some specs on build and anyone jump in and tell me if cam will do fine.

377ci ls3
afr 225
9.5:1 comp
ported ls2 intake(for now)
APS turbo kit. mit20 around 50lb min
manual

purpose mostly street race and track fun. and dyno star.
Old 03-09-2009, 08:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

People have all kinds of theories about this stuff. Find someone you are comfortable with and go with their receipe.
Old 03-09-2009, 08:56 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sultan(ZR-1)KSA
any anwers on this?
yep right here
Originally Posted by Shawn @ VA Speed
I always like reading threads about turbo cams.Kinda entertaining.The problems with turbos is that it is easy to make power.The hard parts is making power where you want it.alot of different factors come into designing a turbo cam-engine size,compression,cylinder head flow,what size turbo's,and vehicle use.One thing that most people forget to enter in the calculation is the turbo size.This directly changes exhaust backpressure which greatly affects the camshaft profile.Small cams don't make power-that's funny.
I've seen over 600rwhp with a stock ls1 cam,over 700rwhp with an ls6 cam,we made over 1000rwhp in Kyle's car with a 370 and a 228 cam,Fireball went 8.30's with a mid 240's cam in a 6.0.I made over 2500hp and went over 200mph in the 1/4 with a mid 250's cam in a 436 sbc.
last thing i have is that every combo requires a different cam,there is no one cam fits all combinations.
Old 03-09-2009, 10:14 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by turbo'd stang
People have all kinds of theories about this stuff. Find someone you are comfortable with and go with their receipe.
Really the reason why, turbo builds will make power no matter how crappy parts selection. Just keep turning up the boost, look how many people use reverse split camshafts with turbochargers.

When you have the right parts selection IMO, you make the same power at less boost level, and have good power under the curve.

Now granted I don't entirely dislike reverse split cams however, I think alot of people tend overuse them, or use them on builds that have 2:1 backpressure or less.
Old 03-09-2009, 10:20 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Fraser@SpeedInc
Really the reason why, turbo builds will make power no matter how crappy parts selection. Just keep turning up the boost, look how many people use reverse split camshafts with turbochargers.

When you have the right parts selection IMO, you make the same power at less boost level, and have good power under the curve.

Now granted I don't entirely dislike reverse split cams however, I think alot of people tend overuse them, or use them on builds that have 2:1 backpressure or less.

I'm pretty sure that both of the cars that made north of 1200 RWHP at the LSX shootout last year had LS2s with reverse splits...actually...I pretty sure both had the same exact camshaft. I'm positive about one of them since it was my turd...
Old 03-09-2009, 10:24 AM
Banned

Like I said I don't entirely dislike them, we've made power with other designs, mostly single pattern.
Old 03-09-2009, 10:40 AM
TECH Senior Member

Like I said I don't entirely dislike them, we've made power with other designs, mostly single pattern.

just commenting on using them for 2:1 or less....
Old 03-09-2009, 11:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

I tend to agree, most anything will work. Wolfe runs some REAL jacked up cams. They obviously work though.
Old 03-09-2009, 01:23 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by mike13
I have a question that's a little different, it seems the cams that come in these motors work very well with forced induction would a set of better flowing heads and a stock or nearly stock profile camshaft get you great drivablity and good numbers?
any anwers on this?
I think Mightymouse made some crazy numbers and track times with the stock 98 LS1 cam, so yes.
Old 03-09-2009, 01:35 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,138 Likes on 740 Posts

Brian you and Mark both got your cams from Kurt right?

I think for picking cams you need to consider the following:
-Sound... Lope or no lope
-Driveability... Near stock or can tolerate some cam surge etc
-Peak RPM... Where will the combo be shifted
-Power goal... 500, 600, 700, 800... at the crank?
-Single or twins...
Old 03-09-2009, 02:18 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Pro Stock John

I think for picking cams you need to consider the following:
-Sound... Lope or no lope
-Driveability... Near stock or can tolerate some cam surge etc
-Peak RPM... Where will the combo be shifted
-Power goal... 500, 600, 700, 800... at the crank?
-Single or twins...
-Sound... Lope or no lope no lope
-Driveability... Near stock or can tolerate some cam surge etc near stock
-Peak RPM... Where will the combo be shifted 6500 ish
-Power goal... 500, 600, 700, 800... at the crank? 650-750 at street and 1000 wheel at track
-Single or twins... twins

this help
Old 03-09-2009, 02:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Pro Stock John

old hyd cam...yes

new solid roller...no...shawn @ va speed spec'ed it
Old 03-09-2009, 08:20 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by turbo'd stang
I tend to agree, most anything will work. Wolfe runs some REAL jacked up cams. They obviously work though.
back in the day our shop car consited of a 370 & single 88mm turbo (IIRC?) what I recall from Tom and Jim here, their was probably a dozen camshafts run through it; even a G5X3 was put in, just to see what kind of numbers produced. Still best result was a cam with high duration, single pattern, tight LSA and lower lifts resulted in more usable RPM, these elements are seen in the turbo cams we offer today.
Old 03-09-2009, 08:59 PM
TECH Resident

back in the day our shop car consited of a 370 & single 88mm turbo (IIRC?) what I recall from Tom and Jim here, their was probably a dozen camshafts run through it; even a G5X3 was put in, just to see what kind of numbers produced. Still best result was a cam with high duration, single pattern, tight LSA and lower lifts resulted in more usable RPM, these elements are seen in the turbo cams we offer today.
High duration! That's almost a sin lately on this board.....
Old 05-26-2009, 11:49 PM
On The Tree

so ive got a 2001 silverado and make 620 fwhp on a stock bottom end 5.3 with 317 heads witch puts it at 8.5 to one with a stock ls1 cam. run 22 degrees of timing with a borg warner s300 turbo. im building a 402 at 9 to 1 with 243 heads and having a hard time finding a cam i like. i want it lopey but not too much only have a 2500 stall i want i driveable but not really stock dont mind giving one up for the other i ve got comps duel spring kit good to 650 but dont want to go to the max to make things wear out to fast. was looking at epp cam but they dont give cam specs as far as valve timing goes. like what specs they do have but i dont want 20 degrees of overlap. so realy just want some advice or opinions on what you would do. and yes i know i want alot but just looking for some help comp sucks they have addvice like theyre just joes off the street and lingenfelter doesnt care they just want me to buy their gt7. so let me know what ya think. thanks
Old 05-26-2009, 11:58 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Gt7 is a great cam if you dont' want lope you don't want surge and you want pretty long valve spring life just run it with 1.7 not 1.8 like I have. I dont' put many miles on my car and it won't see much high rpm or track use so figure my springs should last me maybe three years which would be fine. Changing out every year is not going to happen. Not in an f body maybe if had a vette.

That epp cam sounds fine too. Bit of lope I think.Truth is just about any cams works not too bad since you are fi anyway.I mostly wanted a nice smooth idle with no surge that too many of my friends with wild cams have. and you can't really tune that surge out. One guy is pro tuner and his vette is horrible for cam surge. I hate it but whatever flloats your boat. Overcamming is one of the biggest mistakes. My car is so streetable its just ridiculous.When put in the auto bet my grandma if she were still alive could drive in heavy traffic.

Some guys like to go hardcore. Again if thats what you want.
Old 05-27-2009, 01:16 AM
On The Tree

well i love the sound of a big cam. it doesnt have to be stupid big but i like to hear it. and im also conserned with low end power just normal driving. its going to be at 9 to 1 and it weights 5300 lbs so i want to be able to make it move with out flooring it to build boost
Old 08-15-2010, 03:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

Im having a little bit of a difficult time understanding the concept of a "turbo cam"

and here is my thinking. if you add 14.7 psi to an engine, lets say you theoretically double the output.

so, if the engine is making 400hp at 5500 rpms NA, then it would make 800hp at 5500rpms at 14.7 psi boost.

so if you install a cam that makes only 380hp at 5500rpms NA, then the turbo engine will make 760hp at 5500rpms at 14.7psi of boost.

so, in my mind, the turbo follows the NA curve and a good NA cam will also be a good turbo cam.

someone fill in the gaps for me.
Old 08-15-2010, 03:40 AM
Launching!

It seems to me that while overlap makes for a good NA cam it is not good for a FI cam. So if you put in a cam with a lot of overlap into a turbo engine you'd be blowing a lot more unburnt fuel out the exhaust and thus losing some power.
Old 08-15-2010, 08:27 AM
Restricted User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by mike13
I have a question that's a little different, it seems the cams that come in these motors work very well with forced induction would a set of better flowing heads and a stock or nearly stock profile camshaft get you great drivablity and good numbers?
any anwers on this?
Version 1.0 of my turbo build was a bone stock LQ9 motor with the PT88. Stock everything, except pushrods, oil pan to valley cover. Well not really the oil pan as it wont fit but you know what I mean. I went 10.0 @ 133+ MPH at 3800# race weight with a 6K RPM redline and 15# of boost. I was out of gear about 100' out.

Quick Reply: turbo cam