Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

speed inc twin turbo f-body kits

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2009, 11:18 AM
8 Second Club

Received 93 Likes on 74 Posts

Have you looked into the APS TT kit with the big turbos?
Old 03-16-2009, 12:11 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Big Bird WS6
do you want a 1000 wheel or flywheel. well hell either way. i dont think compstart is rated that high. pretty sure they are in the 800 range.
Compstar crank/rods would handle 1k rwhp no problem.

Even a stock crank is fine at 1000hp.
Old 03-16-2009, 12:48 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^^^ jim, then what would the callies dragon slayer handle? and what about oliver rods?
Old 03-16-2009, 07:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

compstar makes a good product. I don't think that my build will have any problem handling a 1000rwhp. I want to make something clear though guys. By no means did I make this thread to bash any sponser's prices. I simply inquired about the speed inc kit cause I hold their work in high opinion. Never have I once ever heard about them being late on a project or screwing anyone out of their money. Simply put, their kits are freakin bad ***. I don't think there is a better looking, more well thought out kit than theirs. You never hear any defects or f-ups. Top shelf stuff guys. I would still like to know what it would take to get a kit of theirs under my hood. I sent you guys a quote request the other night Jim. Shoot me a call or a pm/email. Thanks again for the interest/input guys. Chris
Old 03-16-2009, 08:57 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,159 Likes on 753 Posts

Their quickest twin kit has gone 8.2's, and almost 170mph. I'm guessing that car will dip into the 7's this year.
Old 03-16-2009, 09:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I would love to have that speed inc kit. I keep saving for it and I get weak every now and then and start looking at prochargers because of the cost and simplicity of that set up. I would think about speed inc putting on the APS kit but I dont like how the intercooler set up looks. I would rather have just a single pipe going to the throttle body like in the custom kit. The other problem I have with puting turbos on my car is that I dont want to cut it up, my car is mint and I dont want to make any perminent changes to make the set up fit....minor stuff is OK because I want to do the hidden engine harness mod to clean up under the hood...but nothing major. Maybe procharger is best for me???? I need to get up to speed inc to talk with those guys about my options.
Old 03-16-2009, 09:55 PM
9 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

would not do an aps fbody kit on a motor of that calibur. the zo6 kits are bad *** but i dont like the fbody ones. id do a custom type setup.
Old 03-17-2009, 02:23 AM
TT-TECH Veteran

I have one of Speed Inc. Street twins with the 67's. I can tell you it has been a PITA but it runs great. A lot of my problems haven't been from just the kit so, don't look to deep into that. The BS3 has pissed me off a time or two mainly about the Tach not working. I have it running good now need to tune on it but other than that it is a great kit would have been perfect with some cast manifolds, but I guess you can't have everything LOL! And by the way for the guy who said turbos don't cost you HP to run well that isn't correct either, Turbos are more efficent, but they rob power too. And as far as the Prochager haveing lag, you are crazy to think that. Because the hit hard and right now. Come ride with me and I'll show you the difference. Gl on your decision.
Old 03-17-2009, 09:49 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Maybe by lag he meant the centrificals have to ramp up to full boost. Like putting out 3 at 3000,10 at 5000 ,15 at 7000 type of thing. Where turbos are more like 15 psi at 3000 and hold it pretty much to redline if sized right.Assuming 15psi was full boost in this example.
Course smaller turbos or having bigger cubes helps the spool up and reduces lag and there are way to get quicker spool up by gearing down if you are in higher gear, brake boosting ,using two steps and antilag,no lift to shift ,etc.

And not following the turbos rob power unless you mean from backpressure? As obviously they are not pullling power off the crank.

I like all forms of FI ,they all have their pros and cons. I also don't necessarily agree that turbo setups are highly complicated. They seem pretty simple to me. You do have to usually hook up oil and sometimes water lines where a procharger is selfcontained for oil and has no water line. And some turbo setups will require a scavanger pump. Both systems usually run intercoolers and while of course the turbos also require hot side piping again not a big deal. Turbos can be reliable, they are after all used in millions of factory vehicles,including semis and diesel trucks.

Also procharger are not that cheap but guess fairly cheap compared to what some shops charge to do custom turbo systems. I didn't find the installation by myself and buddy that hard on my aps kit. It was an pretty long installation but it went in pretty good with parts fitting well and every nut and bolt supplied. I like the way the intercooler hides in there. Car be be pretty stealthy if I want it to be with just the intercooler neck showing. And the turbos are low for less heat up top but they are again stealthy so if a person likes to show off the snails then yes the kit is very understated.
Old 03-18-2009, 09:06 AM
10 Second Club

Hey i have one of those kits like posted above

Old 03-18-2009, 09:24 AM
Banned

the two kits look the same. i would say that makes them not Custom built. that makes them a kit. but they look good

but Jay-r i dont think you can post non sponsor links on here. i might be wrong. but just giving you a heads up
Old 03-18-2009, 01:48 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by fitz98ta
Hey i have one of those kits like posted above

where can those type exhaust manifolds be purchased?
Old 03-18-2009, 10:51 PM
On The Tree

the two kits look the same. i would say that makes them not Custom built. that makes them a kit. but they look good

but Jay-r i dont think you can post non sponsor links on here. i might be wrong. but just giving you a heads up

Yea I didnt even think about it! I hope it slides this time, I figured I could be some help and give a example along with info on the kit
Old 03-19-2009, 08:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

thanks for the posts guys. Blake and Jason: thanks for the pics and info ect. looking forward to dealing with you. It would be great if I could just get this kit sold that I have. There's nothing wrong with it (brand new) and mades a lot of power in firehawk123's build, but like I said I just need those snails smiling at me when I pop the hood. Thanks again. Chris
Old 03-19-2009, 09:08 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by IT_SS
where can those type exhaust manifolds be purchased?
with your TT header set up, can you still run a ypipe & cat back?
Old 03-19-2009, 10:15 PM
10 Second Club

my kit was built on off my car as a prototype kit. No "kits" are actually available yet. the company is pretty much doing a car by car basis as of right now although they have built a jig of the orange car posted above. My kit does use a y pipe and catback setup though (i have a dumped bullet)
Old 03-20-2009, 08:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

They quoted me 13k just for the kit itself . I added it all up and i can do the hotside out of ss, and the cold side out of aluminum with custom intercooler, and 2 big 35rs, and twin 44s, and twin tial BOV, with truck manifolds, with the turbos setup just like theirs for around 8 or 9, thats with the pipes jet hotted. If you have the means i highly advise doing it yourself. Just read up on how to position everything and where everything should be located in context to everything else in the kit. But odnt get me wrong i love ls1speeds work they are top notch, but like they say you get what you pay for.
Old 03-21-2009, 10:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

You are also talking fabricated headers (lots of time/labor/materials) vs. truck manifolds (no time/labor and can be had on the cheap). Not to mention that they use top shelf parts in their builds.
Old 03-21-2009, 11:06 AM
TS6
10 Second Club

i wasnt trying to be a dick just stating my opinion on superchargers. sorry i dont like them
Ever owned one?

How fast has your turbo setup been?
Old 03-21-2009, 12:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yes this is true about fabbing headers for turbo kits that it is time consuming, but they quoted me 13 with truck manifolds. Also if he wants a max hp of 1000 hp and the car isnt a full on drag car, and hes on a tighter budget he would never notice the difference between a truck manifold setup vs header setup on the street.

Quick Reply: speed inc twin turbo f-body kits