Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Should I use turbo blankets using the APS kit? What are the pros and cons with them?

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2009, 04:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Should I use turbo blankets using the APS kit? What are the pros and cons with them?

Should I use turbo blankets using the APS kit? What are the pros and cons with using them? If you use them I heard you keep the car running for awhile to let things cool down before turning the car off or it can mess something up. Do you have to do that even if you dont use the blankets? I really dont know. Where can I get them, what a good brand, and what size will fit them? I have the upgraded larger turbos so I think they are compared to the GT35R. Thank you for any info
Old 04-05-2009, 08:41 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

From what I understand they protect things under the hood for the heat. Aps main deal is they mount the turbos low on the engine to keep heat away from things. For looks and a bit more heat retention send your exhaust manifolds and turbo exhaust housings away from super high temp ceramic coating. I will be doing that to mine if have things out and have the time to send the stuff away.I painted my exhaust manifolds with high heat paint and its holding up so so. I baked the paint in an oven..wife is still mad! Buddy gave me that stupid idea. Don't do it!

Anyway blankets can see being useful when turbos are up top close to the hood and other important stuff.
Old 04-05-2009, 08:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

anybody else?
Old 04-05-2009, 11:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

no they really aren't for protection. They are to retain heat in the turbo and improve the spool time on the turbo. The reason for letting the engine run at idle for a little bit before shutting it off is because once you shut the engine off there is no more oil flow in the turbo. Consequently it will just set in there and clam back and "coke" the journal. The oil gets cooked in there and if this is done repeatedly then it's game over for the turbo's bearing. I don't know about the new larger turbos as far as what size of a/r on the turbine but the original mits turbo's spooled very fast from what I've heard. I couldn't imagine why you would want blankies for your turbos lol. Anyways good luck and hope this helps. Chris

Quick Reply: Should I use turbo blankets using the APS kit? What are the pros and cons with them?