Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

STS TT Problems

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2009, 06:54 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Question STS TT Problems

HELP GUYS!!!!!

My STS Oil pump just died so I bought Mocal pump the problem is the new pump is much bigger than Old pump I cant get it to fit in the same place,

Can I install the new pump in any place or does it need to be in the same place???

STS Sux BTW

all replies are welcome the car is setting in the shop and I'm waiting for some info its my daily driven I need done today.

Thanks
Hussam.
Old 03-30-2009, 03:20 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by venom ws7
HELP GUYS!!!!!

My STS Oil pump just died so I bought Mocal pump the problem is the new pump is much bigger than Old pump I cant get it to fit in the same place,

Can I install the new pump in any place or does it need to be in the same place???

STS Sux BTW

all replies are welcome the car is setting in the shop and I'm waiting for some info its my daily driven I need done today.

Thanks
Hussam.
I am using the Mocal pump too. You should be able to install it anywhere under the car where space is permitted. You may be able to modify the bracket that STS provided and make it fit. BTW, it should already have 4 bolt/screw holes supplied for this anyhow...
Old 03-30-2009, 07:41 PM
TECH Regular

Sorry to hear that you dont like the system. What exactly about the system do you not like?
Old 03-30-2009, 08:21 PM
Staging Lane

Yeah, why do you say STS sucks?
Old 04-02-2009, 10:12 PM
11 Second Club

O.K I installed the new Mocal pump it worked great but after a min the car started shooting lots of oil from the exhaust I checked the pump and its working

So what is the caused of that??

Any help!!!
Old 04-02-2009, 10:18 PM
11 Second Club

Yeah, Im wondering the same thing. I made 600 RWHP on less then 7 lbs of boost with the STS, and the only problems Ive had with the system were because of things I did wrong.

But as t your question about the oil. You went with the Mocal pump, it is rated the same flow as the STS correct.. Have you called STS, and please for your own sake dont listen to the guys either here on this board or anywhere, about using the restrictor in the oil line, thats only a band aid for a real issue, I just toasted my turbo cause I used that damn restrictor...
Old 04-03-2009, 09:47 PM
Launching!

help me out, WHATS THE RESTRICTOR IN THE OIL LINE. thanks....
Old 04-04-2009, 01:01 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by kornboy
help me out, WHATS THE RESTRICTOR IN THE OIL LINE. thanks....
The most commonly used restrictor is the little brass .065" restrictor. It goes in-line right before the turbo in the oil feed line to the turbo. Its got the 1/8" NPT male to female threads so that it just screws in-line. It restricts the oil flow to the turbo. "STARVING THE TURBO" in my opinion. I just trashed my turbo using this restrictor......
Old 04-04-2009, 10:55 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by charlie c5
The most commonly used restrictor is the little brass .065" restrictor. It goes in-line right before the turbo in the oil feed line to the turbo. Its got the 1/8" NPT male to female threads so that it just screws in-line. It restricts the oil flow to the turbo. "STARVING THE TURBO" in my opinion. I just trashed my turbo using this restrictor......
Many of us have been running the restrictor without a problem, I guess if I burn up a turbo I'll change my opinion but since I haven't I'll disagree. When I called STS they said you don't need a restrictor, you don't need a different pump, their 2 speed pump setup works fine, I must be doing something wrong. Well everything they told me not to do I've done and the system has been problem free.

Not trying to start a debate about the restrictor it works for many of us but if someone has experienced failure then you have facts to support both sides.

Last edited by mike13; 04-04-2009 at 11:05 AM.
Old 04-04-2009, 11:03 AM
10 Second Club

A problem I ran into that drove me crazy for a few days is the car would run fine and then all of a sudden it would oil up, puke oil out the exhaust, etc. What was happening is the wire that you tap into by the pcm to power the relay for the oil pump didn't have enough voltage or amperage to trip the relay a 100% of the time.

I would turn the key and hear the pump, fire the engine and sometimes the pump wouldn't get power or the pump would stop working will driving but you couldn't hear it over the exhaust. I tapped into another location at the fuse box and it fixed the problem.
Old 04-04-2009, 12:13 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by mike13
A problem I ran into that drove me crazy for a few days is the car would run fine and then all of a sudden it would oil up, puke oil out the exhaust, etc. What was happening is the wire that you tap into by the pcm to power the relay for the oil pump didn't have enough voltage or amperage to trip the relay a 100% of the time.

I would turn the key and hear the pump, fire the engine and sometimes the pump wouldn't get power or the pump would stop working will driving but you couldn't hear it over the exhaust. I tapped into another location at the fuse box and it fixed the problem.
Now there's something I can live with. Im not willing to risk trashing another turbo, What wire did you tap into.
Old 04-04-2009, 12:43 PM
11 Second Club

I used the fuel pump relay.
Old 04-04-2009, 01:46 PM
TECH Resident

+1 on fuel pump relay
Old 04-05-2009, 11:37 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Silver_TransAm
I used the fuel pump relay.
Sorry to sound ignorant, but the fuel pump relay is that huge relay in the rear of the car just in front of the axle shaft on the driver's side, near the STS oil pump. And what about the load killing the fuel pump, and causing me to go lean and booooom the car going pop.

Quick Reply: STS TT Problems