Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

DIY rear mount?

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2009, 02:18 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default DIY rear mount?

Im going to be building a rear mount kit for my 02 camaro and I have a few questions. These are my current mods:

1.- LT's and True duals (I plan on removing them and putting back the stock manifolds and an off road y-pipe w/exhaust wrap.) Which off road y-pipe is everyone running? The only ones I can seem to find say for 98-99 only.

2.- HSW plate kit (going to remove it aswell)

3.- Performabuilt tranny w/ 3500 stall

4.- Small cam (dont know the specs, was in car when I bought it)

5.- Prof. Prod. intake (probably gonna take it off and replace it with a LS6 intake)

My plan is to use either a MP T70 or T76 turbo, which a/r housing would you recommend me to use. I plan on running 2.5" cold piping back to the intercooler and then out of the intercooler run 3" to the TB. From reading previous posts im going to run a Mocal scavenge pump. Any advice or suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
Old 04-24-2009, 02:45 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 98noscamaross
Im going to be building a rear mount kit for my 02 camaro and I have a few questions. These are my current mods:

1.- LT's and True duals (I plan on removing them and putting back the stock manifolds and an off road y-pipe w/exhaust wrap.) Which off road y-pipe is everyone running? The only ones I can seem to find say for 98-99 only.

2.- HSW plate kit (going to remove it aswell)

3.- Performabuilt tranny w/ 3500 stall

4.- Small cam (dont know the specs, was in car when I bought it)

5.- Prof. Prod. intake (probably gonna take it off and replace it with a LS6 intake)

My plan is to use either a MP T70 or T76 turbo, which a/r housing would you recommend me to use. I plan on running 2.5" cold piping back to the intercooler and then out of the intercooler run 3" to the TB. From reading previous posts im going to run a Mocal scavenge pump. Any advice or suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
Have fun! You might want to look at Zombie's posts where he is using a larger twinscroll turbo and a quick spool valve. More power, quicker rsponse, less lag. Go for broke!
Old 04-24-2009, 03:34 PM
TECH Apprentice

Hey man I went throught all the DIY stuff for a RMT myself, I can save you a lot of time and money. It was fun while i was without girlfriend, but I've decided to go back to stock I miss the neck breaking acceleration getting on the highway already.. and have just about everything you need to build a better than STS turbo system is for sale here

https://ls1tech.com/forums/forced-in...ggestions.html

or I can help you with any Q's that may come up, cause I've been there myself.
Old 04-24-2009, 03:34 PM
TECH Resident

u dont NEED to take off the LTs/ORY but if u have the time and resources go for it.. I heat wrapped my intermediate pipe all the way to the turbo and left the LT and ORY on - i start boosting at about 2700rpm and hit 10 psi at like 3250rpm. the manifolds also make it raspy, some say too raspy.

The oil pump u suggested is a fine choice. i'd go with the T76 with a .9x a/r hotside - nice mix of power and response.

To compare im running a t67 turbo with a .81 a/r hotside - mustang dyno with barely any timing i put down 490/520 lol

Last edited by sujomatt; 04-24-2009 at 03:47 PM.
Old 04-25-2009, 07:55 AM
11 Second Club

I actually did think about trying the MP T76 w/.96 turbine but I was really worried that it might not spool very quick. How well do you think it would spool with my 3500 stall?
Old 05-15-2009, 09:44 PM
Teching In

Tell me how your DIY rear mount goes, really would like to do one on my camaro or T/A.
Old 05-16-2009, 09:05 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is the ory I'm using with 02 manifolds
http://www.stainlessworks.net/cart/p...roducts_id=817

Ryan
Old 05-18-2009, 02:11 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by CMR_ls1s
Tell me how your DIY rear mount goes, really would like to do one on my camaro or T/A.
My plans have changed, im actually planning on going ahead and doing a front mount truck manifold kit.

Quick Reply: DIY rear mount?