Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

STS Turbo Kit

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2003, 02:09 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Excal
Also as far as lag, it's no more than aregular properly sized turbo..
will they spool as fast as a properly sized turbo mounted up front, desgined to work conventionally? no.

So which one is it?
Old 11-03-2003, 02:19 PM
TECH Addict

Excal: You are still missing the point here - the point is *not* that the kit will nor work, make power, etc. In my mind that still remains to be borne out, though some of the initial numbers look interesting. The only point mentioned was that this setup is less effecient than an under the hood mount. Whether it spools up at 1000,3000 or 10000 rpm or runs gtech 11's has nothing to do with whether tye system is more or less effecient than something else. It was simply mentioned as a pro/con of the system.

JaredH: Yep, I think on camaroz28.com sts mentioned they worked with garret on a turbo for this application specifically. Compressor maps were requested and were going to be on the way, but haven't heard anything since then.
Old 11-03-2003, 02:58 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

tt.

waiting on intercooler bandaid definition.

Ryan
Old 11-03-2003, 02:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

I think the kit is very interesting. I just want to see SAE corrected dyno numbers and actual ET/MPH from a 1/4 track
Old 11-03-2003, 03:38 PM
On The Tree

If this isnt a race kit why is the filter mounted out in the open like that? I would think one good rain storm and your turbo would be toast.

I do like the idea of running both systems though

Last edited by Blkknight; 11-03-2003 at 04:56 PM.
Old 11-03-2003, 04:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by frcefed98
If you want to know a lot about these STS kits go to camaroz28.com...
CZ28 posters are self-proclaimed cerebral wanna-be's that argue all day about things they've never actually experienced, and in a grammatically insulting manner, for those that care for the English language. Any CZ28 poster that can read may quote me!

On a more civil note, I have to agree with verbs. The fact is, as a "conventionally mounted" turbo owner/installer goes, the length to and from the turbo acts as an intercooler (in the case of this system), though it does not have the advantages of being narrow (and short in overall distance to the throttle body) to increase gas velocity. It loses the advantage of heat in the turbo spool. The fact is that the turbo runs best, not on gas velocity only, but also on the thermodynamics as well. This certainly plays an important roll (please see reference works on thermo **damics)!

It certainly works in the snowmobile world, correct Utah? This is where this shop developed their "engineering". The world of automobiles is an anomoly, just ask Tucker. That which works in small displacement four-cylinders in snow mobiles, does NOT necessarily work in real engines.

For the record, I think this is a good idea, and even a reasonable alternative, but don't expect this to out-run a H/C combo, and definitely don't think it will rival ANY other turbo LS1! You WILL be disappointed if that is your goal. However, if it is your goal to spend the same cash as H/C and get the turbo "mystique", then your money is well spent. Just don't go hunting real cars.

SC-

Last edited by SS00Blue; 11-03-2003 at 04:47 PM.
Old 11-03-2003, 08:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

im no expert by far, but isnt that why this garret is a different design? also i think we know that this isnt for SERIOUS POWER. its like all the different heads and cams out there. not all make the best power and not all are for street use in full factory trim. for me personally im very interested in this. i was strongly going to go with a 100 shot of juice but now this can possibly give me the same with now refilling issuses. id like to be a 450-500 rwhp car that runs low 11's in full trim. this kit may be what im looking for. i am waiting however for more proof and info though. if it can do 5 psi why not up it to 9-10 psi and fab in an air to air intercooler? cant hurt can it? also this kit helps save the expense in exhaust work(which also helps some of us stay emmision legal) which is anywhere from 600-2000 dollars.depending on the route you go. no its not for the trailer queen of cars but it can defenitly help out in the street scene. im thinking like thisif it puts out what it says to in the first place)
1. the sts kit
2. the turbo friendly cam that can do a little better than stock n/a
3.uping the boost a little and putting in an air to air cooler
4. all the other little bolt ons
5. getting it dyno tuned(most important)

it has the potential of being a stout setup. of coarse the base kit needs to put out whats expected.
Old 11-03-2003, 08:31 PM
TECH Resident

Just a thought but, could`nt less restrictive pre turbo exhaust kinda make up for the reduced exhaust temps and couldent you thermal coat the exhaust piping to further help the efficency of the kit. Just suggestions?
also how is it that the 60-1 will only suport around 450rwhp on the TTech kit. yet with this kit there saying it`ll suport around 500-550rwhp. the way i see it damit they got the room put a real turbo on there. J/K.
Old 11-03-2003, 08:58 PM
TECH Apprentice

I think this guy should send me one to test for everybody, because I drive my car like I stole it every time I get in it.
Old 11-03-2003, 10:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Here is an idea........if you think that turbo lag will be a problem add a 100 shot of juice, that ought to speed up the impeller and reduce the lag time, not to mention et's.

The only thing that I do not understand is why a intercooler would not be benefical? Add an intercooler and crank up the friggin boost.
Old 11-03-2003, 11:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

SS00Blue you better chill. I wasn't posting to anyone in particular. I was making it clear that Rick from STS has answered all the questions that are coming up here, over on cz28.com. I could give a **** less about what posters over there have to say, grammatically incorrect or not. I was stating there is a good amount of info from Rick@STS about his kit posted over there.

On topic, I am interested in this kit too. Sounds cool, looks like the LT1 kits are doing good. I am pretty sure these kits will sell good for the LS1, there just needs to be a good candidate, Chris Pippy care to buy one to give it a good flogging?
J

Last edited by frcefed98; 11-03-2003 at 11:59 PM.
Old 11-04-2003, 07:34 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by slow
tt.

waiting on intercooler bandaid definition.

Ryan
the intercooler wasnt the bandaid im talking about. upping the boost to compensate for an unacceptable boost loss through the intercooler is the bandaid.

losing 3psi from a total of 5psi across an intercooler is a very poor design.

but ill still be keepin an eye on this kit because its cheap and im a brokeass and turbos rule
Old 11-05-2003, 09:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by frcefed98
SS00Blue you better chill.
My post wasn't aimed at you. It was aimed at the endless miles of useless theory discussion that takes place on CZ28.

I agreed that, while it's not the best arrangement, it could very well be effective.

Maybe you should chill.

SC-
Old 11-05-2003, 11:17 AM
TECH Senior Member

I used to be a mod over on the forced induction section at Z28.com

There are a lot of smart and fast folks over there.
Old 11-05-2003, 11:33 AM
TECH Enthusiast

So which one is it?
it won't boost as fast, however lag is .01 something seconds so IT will feel like no more.

all boost by 2800 rpm? faster than plenty of applications. (check the dyno)

and it comes off in an hour and change...that ALONE is a brutal advantage.

For example..some of u might check out some dude who put 14000-15000 on his QMP and is makingless power than the lt1 with the STS.

the lt1 has no headers or cam either. not sure about heads.
whether tye system is more or less effecient than something else
right, the STS is not a race kit, but for an f-bod it is the most money/power efficient.

by that "efficient" logic, no one should own a supercharger because they are much more less efficient than turbos, of course that argument falls flat when u have that FIR supercharged convertible bird in the 8s where turbos have yet to reach on this site.

also the 60-1 qmp kit..i still haven't seen anyone take that 15 psi even..u think it will support 600rwtq? the sts kit does, on an lt1 again. with an 60-1 (whata conicidence) except it has no intercooler and rear mounted.

although if anyone wants to, the intercooler can go in no prob, and it will be superior because of the methanol..

if me planning to buy i kit is bias, the so be it. it's the easiest way to turbocharged power by FAR.

also the lightest way, (light on my wallet). i don't want to weld. i don' want to get charged or travel thru states to get this installed.

i don't want to pay for tuning. i don't want to be turbocharged and not have to have a an aftermarket fuel system, at least not rigth away.

check turbolocity, or cartech the new kits are the same ol..$6500 and have to deal with cracking headers ect ect.

Last edited by Excal; 11-05-2003 at 11:52 AM.
Old 11-05-2003, 01:52 PM
TECH Senior Member

You are kidding yourself if you think you can get away without tuning or fuel system.

Those are must haves. At the very least, injectors, inline pump and LS1edit tuning...
Old 11-05-2003, 04:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

For example..some of u might check out some dude who put 14000-15000 on his QMP and is making less power than the lt1 with the STS.
15K??? Yeah, so he's been deceived and robbed, but at least he serves as a worst case scenario for people like you to quote... who have NO OTHER EXPERIENCE in conventional turbo systems.

Not to be brutal or anything, but anyone who can't get a QMP kit to work in a BIG way for 6-8K (10k at most) is certainly getting ripped off by his most trusted advisors, or is completely incompetent as respects installing his own equipment (plenty of these examples, MM, WB, etc... (don't give yourselves away boys)).

Yeah, I'm trapping a WHOLE LOT more that the LT1 example you're quoting. Dyno race me all you want, but the boys with the rear-mount are going to see a whole lot more rears than they anticipate.

FOR THE RECORD!!! I think this system can be good for what it is, and for the relative price, but don't go comparing it to systems that can go 9s or even 8s!

also the 60-1 qmp kit..i still haven't seen anyone take that 15 psi even..u think it will support 600rwtq?
Get your facts straight before you post. QMP has NEVER offered a 60-1 lit. That was (and is) TTi.

SC-

Last edited by SS00Blue; 11-05-2003 at 04:19 PM.
Old 11-05-2003, 05:41 PM
TECH Apprentice

I sure would be willing to be a test mule for them and try this kit out on my heads/cam convert. and see how i realy does. I hate the switch I made from boost to Nitrous.
Old 11-05-2003, 05:46 PM
TECH Apprentice

What would hurt to add a small inline intercooler, kinda like the ones from ATI's twin intercooler kit? Then just keep it mounted under the car and not mess with extra tubing to the front.
Old 11-05-2003, 06:24 PM
TECH Junkie

well, i just got done reading a post from sffba.com of the lt1 that installed this kit, and he went from 273hp/303tq to 353hp/390tq (remember, this is an LT1, not LS1), seeing 4.9 psi with only an inline pump and NO TUNING!!! IMO, those are some great gains. im definitely keeping an eye on this system, i might have to get one for myself . but you guys have to see this kit for what it is, an affordable alternative to the front-mounted ls1 turbo kits out there. it may not be as powerful/efficient, but its not as expensive either .

http://www.discountchips.net/2kss/vi...bolt1final.mpg

ohh yeaaaaa

Last edited by Donate52; 11-05-2003 at 06:38 PM.

Quick Reply: STS Turbo Kit