Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2009 | 05:43 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by slow67
Which way is the hat clocked?
Straight on. 6 o clock
Originally Posted by 406malibu
I know I'm no help....

but blazingfast, where are you located??? There's a really badass GTO in your bodystyle that I saw at greer (sc) the other day running similar numbers with a twin turbo LS2 setup.

regardless, hope you get it figured out and back up and running soon. Sounds like a great car.
Thats mine.We were running on the springs at Greer (10 lbs) and had a shock problem. Only ran 5.38
Thanks
Old 05-11-2009 | 05:46 PM
7 Second Club

Originally Posted by blazingfast
It didn't burn #1 just #2. The intake is a stock Victor jr. I'll get some pics of the intake Mon. I figured you would have been in south Georgia this weekend,you not ready?
Been too busy getting my shop and house done. Post a pic of the final motor setup.
Old 05-11-2009 | 08:40 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Phil99vette
Been too busy getting my shop and house done. Post a pic of the final motor setup.
Heres the engine
Attached Thumbnails Broke a piston on 17 lbs WHY!!!-gto-024.jpg   Broke a piston on 17 lbs WHY!!!-gto-025.jpg   Broke a piston on 17 lbs WHY!!!-gto-026.jpg  
Old 05-11-2009 | 08:48 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 406malibu
I know I'm no help....

but blazingfast, where are you located??? There's a really badass GTO in your bodystyle that I saw at greer (sc) the other day running similar numbers with a twin turbo LS2 setup.

regardless, hope you get it figured out and back up and running soon. Sounds like a great car.
Here it is.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B4YPkcPIHSM
Old 05-11-2009 | 09:36 PM
Gingervitis Addict
15 Year Member

Straight on. 6 o clock
hmmmm there goes my other theory......did all the plugs look the same?
Old 05-11-2009 | 09:46 PM
On The Tree

lean corners on blowthrough seems to be fairly common on the ford engines also.

http://www.theturboforums.com/smf/in...c=126908.0;all

the opposite happens with efi because the fuel flow to each cylinder is the same but air flow is higher on the short runners.

I would definately put an EGT on that cylinder.
seems like it would have showed up on the plug sooner.
Old 05-12-2009 | 01:51 AM
TECH Resident

Someone mentioned 8 EGT sensors. How do you monitor 8 gauges same time? Will take alot of space, too.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/11561072-post48.html
Old 05-12-2009 | 12:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

haha I am in that video... I'm standing against the wall in complete admiration LOL. I remember that run, course its hard to forget a 5 second run at greer, doesn't happen very often on T&T nights.
Old 05-12-2009 | 02:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Denali08
Someone mentioned 8 EGT sensors. How do you monitor 8 gauges same time? Will take alot of space, too.

The cheap way is to use something like an extech hand held with peak /hold. I have a couple of them. One does 4 stations at the same time, with peak hold.. Then you just move your probes around for a few passes in testing to find the lean cylinders, then keep an eye on those. The best part is you just turn it on, and view it after a pass.....as long as your pretty sure you wont actually melt anything. It might take a few half, 3/4 passes to get confortable knowing your tune before making full passes.

I remeber dutweiler doing elbow, turn down testing on some manifolds, and nothing was how it was suppose to be. He ended up offseting the hats on the ntakes a couple inches to get closer to an ever distribution. It could probably be done like the turbo buicks also, with a plate. Search power plate on tb.com.....Jason Crammer (friend) in Utah makes them for buicks. Same problem different hole.
Old 05-12-2009 | 09:14 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 1320
The cheap way is to use something like an extech hand held with peak /hold. I have a couple of them. One does 4 stations at the same time, with peak hold.. Then you just move your probes around for a few passes in testing to find the lean cylinders, then keep an eye on those. The best part is you just turn it on, and view it after a pass.....as long as your pretty sure you wont actually melt anything. It might take a few half, 3/4 passes to get confortable knowing your tune before making full passes.

I remeber dutweiler doing elbow, turn down testing on some manifolds, and nothing was how it was suppose to be. He ended up offseting the hats on the ntakes a couple inches to get closer to an ever distribution. It could probably be done like the turbo buicks also, with a plate. Search power plate on tb.com.....Jason Crammer (friend) in Utah makes them for buicks. Same problem different hole.
you have a part number on the extech?

Originally Posted by Rusted40
lean corners on blowthrough seems to be fairly common on the ford engines also.

http://www.theturboforums.com/smf/in...c=126908.0;all

the opposite happens with efi because the fuel flow to each cylinder is the same but air flow is higher on the short runners.

I would definately put an EGT on that cylinder.
seems like it would have showed up on the plug sooner.
Good read thanks
Old 05-12-2009 | 09:15 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by slow67
hmmmm there goes my other theory......did all the plugs look the same?
The plugs looked good
Old 05-13-2009 | 08:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Denali08

Something like the Altronics unit or the like is what I was thinking. Seem to be pretty good.

http://www.altronicsinc.com/pages/redalert.html
Old 05-14-2009 | 07:28 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Frost
don't bet on it !!
He is correct, I have seen Knock on a graph but it was not present at logging, Why? dont know but maybe because spool up time was so fast and at a very short burst it did not have time to pick it up. Under extreme cylinder pressure and a rotating mass spinning at a very high RPM, it doesnt take much to detonate for 1 second and cause the damage you received...
Old 05-14-2009 | 08:00 AM
TECH Apprentice

Never trust a KR log, depends on the sensors sensitivity settings. Whats your comp? You are nice and rich but timing kills. on 17psi with those big turbos you generate a lot of cylinder pressure and those pistons may not take it weather its detonating or not. I would be running a headset with that much boost to check knock and I would pull a few degrees back from there, I bet mph would not drop off anyway.

Quick Reply: Broke a piston on 17 lbs WHY!!!