Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Where to buy an STS kit?

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2009, 10:36 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Its all in my profile and sig. Its a 4xx ci_ secret for the haters lol stg 3 pp heads epp cam leathal performance fuel system 76gts turbo custom intake and intercooler and custom down pipe built t56 by six speed inc stg3 custom y pipe 2.75 inch and 4.5 inch exhaust. meth injection and a safe tune because im a wimp. l;ol
Old 06-18-2009, 01:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default STS Turbos rock

Ok I have read all of you posts and please stop talking about something you guys obviously know nothing about. I have an STS kit on my gorgeous 2001 Formula Firehawk and it is amazing. It is by far the best bang for your buck out there on the market. The kit cost me 4100 brand new and I bought it from STS, Rick who owns sts is amazing he is the one that actually does the tuning for the car which is done via email and is dead on. Now if you want you can go get it dyno tuned but all that will do is cost money and back up what Rick has already done. The thing is a synch to install and the boost is amazing, but whats even more amazing is the potential of the kit its super easy to upgrade because everything is based upon the base kit. I had a hose break off part of an elbow gong into my turbo so called up sts told them the problem and in 5 mins after 4 bolts the turbo was off and I sent it to them and they fixed I had it back up and going in 2 days and that was just because I had to mail the thing. I researched for over 2 years I looked into vortech, APS, TTI you name it not only are they way more expensive but to upgrade them is very tough and you have to modify the crap out of the cars. So lets take the APS for instance it starts at about 6100 out the door then you have to pay someone another 2 grand to get it installed and if you want it tuned thats another 800 dollars. So please guys stop posting about things you don't know. If you don't believe you can call sts turbo and talk to the owner rick directly. Oh by the way if you want to know the potential of the kits just ask rick about his stock looking 1400rwp LS1 based rear mount twin turbo trans am. Like I said the kit is awsome and my baby is super fast and i am only pushng 5 psi and if you guys know anything about engine which judgeing from your post you don't turbos make a lot of heat and engines hate heat so by the turbos being the back not only is it way cooler but your weight distribution is better and you don't need to move around 14 things. And last but not least if you want to go back to stock it s a synch remove turbo, weld back on muffler, rest PCM and your done and you can put it on your next car.
Old 06-18-2009, 02:38 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by sheapesz
Ok I have read all of you posts and please stop talking about something you guys obviously know nothing about. I have an STS kit on my gorgeous 2001 Formula Firehawk and it is amazing. It is by far the best bang for your buck out there on the market. The kit cost me 4100 brand new and I bought it from STS, Rick who owns sts is amazing he is the one that actually does the tuning for the car which is done via email and is dead on. Now if you want you can go get it dyno tuned but all that will do is cost money and back up what Rick has already done. The thing is a synch to install and the boost is amazing, but whats even more amazing is the potential of the kit its super easy to upgrade because everything is based upon the base kit. I had a hose break off part of an elbow gong into my turbo so called up sts told them the problem and in 5 mins after 4 bolts the turbo was off and I sent it to them and they fixed I had it back up and going in 2 days and that was just because I had to mail the thing. I researched for over 2 years I looked into vortech, APS, TTI you name it not only are they way more expensive but to upgrade them is very tough and you have to modify the crap out of the cars. So lets take the APS for instance it starts at about 6100 out the door then you have to pay someone another 2 grand to get it installed and if you want it tuned thats another 800 dollars. So please guys stop posting about things you don't know. If you don't believe you can call sts turbo and talk to the owner rick directly. Oh by the way if you want to know the potential of the kits just ask rick about his stock looking 1400rwp LS1 based rear mount twin turbo trans am. Like I said the kit is awsome and my baby is super fast and i am only pushng 5 psi and if you guys know anything about engine which judgeing from your post you don't turbos make a lot of heat and engines hate heat so by the turbos being the back not only is it way cooler but your weight distribution is better and you don't need to move around 14 things. And last but not least if you want to go back to stock it s a synch remove turbo, weld back on muffler, rest PCM and your done and you can put it on your next car.
#1 Who are you talking about?

#2 I don't have much faith in the average turbo setup. It does take twice as much hp to go the same speeds in the 1/4 or whatever.

#3 I called sts and asked about a twin setup for fbodies and they said nobody was working on one, but I see one where the owner built one for his ta in gmhightechperformance. The company doesn't know about itself.

#4 Sir with your one post in this forum we can tell you registered on ls1tech after swinging off of sts's ***** just to insult us and mention things you don't know about. We, for the most part about (95%) do not weld mufflers on our cars We bolt them up.

#5 The best bang for the buck is nitrous, followed by heads/cam, followed by mixing the two and the price still has potential to be cheaper than one of your sts turbo kits that will push maybe 405rwhp and still run only marginally better than my bolt-on car.
Old 06-24-2009, 04:53 AM

Default STS Turbo

No I don't hang off of there ***** but wow did you just insult me. What are we in third grade well I will be the better man. The sts kit is awsome and yes there are cheaper ways and whether you want to believe it or not I do know quite a bit about cars. If you were paying attention we were talking about turbos and turbos only. I know there are cheaper ways all I was trying to say is get off of there sts turbos back it is a great kit and if you actually go and do research instead of insulting people you would see that you get more for your money number one turbos are more efficient than superchargers and you don't have to refill them like you do nitrous and there is no engine tear down like with heads and cam. Lets not even get nto the better gas mileage that get with the turbo at over 28 miles to the gallon. You just bolt it up tune it then go. I am pushing almost 450hp to my rear wheels at only 5 psi that's pretty impressive. I am just tired of people bashing things they know nothing about go ahead and call sts back and ask to speak directly with rick then come back and talk to me.
Old 06-24-2009, 08:02 AM
TECH Resident

No I don't hang off of there ***** but wow did you just insult me. What are we in third grade well I will be the better man. The sts kit is awsome and yes there are cheaper ways and whether you want to believe it or not I do know quite a bit about cars. If you were paying attention we were talking about turbos and turbos only. I know there are cheaper ways all I was trying to say is get off of there sts turbos back it is a great kit and if you actually go and do research instead of insulting people you would see that you get more for your money number one turbos are more efficient than superchargers and you don't have to refill them like you do nitrous and there is no engine tear down like with heads and cam. Lets not even get nto the better gas mileage that get with the turbo at over 28 miles to the gallon. You just bolt it up tune it then go. I am pushing almost 450hp to my rear wheels at only 5 psi that's pretty impressive. I am just tired of people bashing things they know nothing about go ahead and call sts back and ask to speak directly with rick then come back and talk to me.
I know a guy with one. It was only ok for all that money. I don't mind getting my engine torn down only to use less all motor hp to beat a turbo car with twice the power. With N20 you get better gas mileage too because it only goes down when you're going wot with the spray. Same way you get better mileage out of the turbo.

You and I both know 450rwhp out of an all motor car is faster than 450rwhp in a turbo car all else being equal.

I called sts not long ago and talked to a vince or lance and asked him about the TT system on the ta in the gmhightechperformance magazine I get and he said it didn't exist. I was like what?

Also, the sts kit might be nice to you, but it is not to me for the money. I'd rather spend $1600 and have a decked out N20 kit(still get my 30.1mpg) and spank a stock engined sts car all day long(all else equal)

Oh and yea refilling n20. It wouldn't be as expensive as you think. I wouldn't be wasting it on sts cars lol I'd be saving it for bikes and exotics, unless I got whooped by a sts car with quite a bit more done, then I'd ask for a rematch with my bottle on. lol

and I apologize for my previous post when I insulted you.

Last edited by 7camaro7; 06-24-2009 at 10:41 PM.
Old 06-24-2009, 09:07 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by 7camaro7
I know a guy with one. It was only ok for all that money. I don't mind getting my engine torn down only to use less all motor hp to beat a turbo car with twice the power. With N20 you get better gas mileage too because it only goes down when you're going wot with the spray. Same way you get better mileage out of the turbo.

You and I both know 450rwhp out of an all motor car is faster than 450rwhp in a turbo car all else being equal.

I called sts not long ago and talked to a vince or lance and asked him about the TT system on the ta in the gmhightechperformance magazine I get and he said it didn't exist. I was like what?

Also, the sts kit might be nice to you, but it is not to me for the money. I'd rather spend $1600 and have a decked out N20 kit(still get my 30.1mpg) and spank a stock engined sts car all day long(all else equal)

Oh and yea refilling n20. It wouldn't be as expensive as you think. I wouldn't be wasting it on sts cars lol I'd be saving i for bikes and exotics, unless I got whooped by a sts car with quite a bit more done, then I'd ask for a rematch with my bottle on. lol

and I apologize for my previous post when I insulted you.
How is 450 all motor faster than 450 turbo? If your into nitrous that's great but that's not what the thread is about. As soon as they loose a little traction they back off of 100% tps, nitrous cuts out and I pull on them. So all things being equal as you would say, hp&tq that ramps up is much more usable than hp&tq that is all or nothing. Also my turbo doesn't affect my mileage. 3.73's and stall do but those are mods that would benefit both cars.
Old 06-24-2009, 03:21 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow! Ok waaaaayyyy Back in the day I was 520 on my ls6 motor with stock rearmount sts kit with the 67 turbo and intercooler. I race my brother ta with a 150 shot tuned and cam 3.73 gears on a six speed. From a 40 mph roll we where door to door up untill the top of 2nd third I always slowly walk him. No2 v turbo The winner is always the person with more money and a better set up. But for gas milage it goes to no2 all day simply because on a no2 tune your not tuned to the ragged edge of the build on a street car. Some guys loose 8 hp on a no2 tune but on the juice some guys get well over what the jet was rated at. You can spend up to 2k on a dam good no2 system that can support a 200 shot or more. 2k on a turbo system will net you the bare minium to break 500 hp/
Old 06-24-2009, 03:45 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by OUTLAWZ RACING
Wow! Ok waaaaayyyy Back in the day I was 520 on my ls6 motor with stock rearmount sts kit with the 67 turbo and intercooler. I race my brother ta with a 150 shot tuned and cam 3.73 gears on a six speed. From a 40 mph roll we where door to door up untill the top of 2nd third I always slowly walk him. No2 v turbo The winner is always the person with more money and a better set up. But for gas milage it goes to no2 all day simply because on a no2 tune your not tuned to the ragged edge of the build on a street car. Some guys loose 8 hp on a no2 tune but on the juice some guys get well over what the jet was rated at. You can spend up to 2k on a dam good no2 system that can support a 200 shot or more. 2k on a turbo system will net you the bare minium to break 500 hp/
outlawz, you're not right in the head though... lol nah, your car would have quite a bit more on the top end seeing 520. Now your 520 turbo rwhp against his 450rwhp(just a guess) from a dead stop I'd pick your brother to win the 1/4. From any decent roll I'd pick your turbo car. That's just how it is.

If you both had the same rwhp n20 vs turbo, I'd probably pick the spray still but I'd only be 50% confident about it because that turbo could already be spooled up and ready.

Originally Posted by mike13
How is 450 all motor faster than 450 turbo? If your into nitrous that's great but that's not what the thread is about. As soon as they loose a little traction they back off of 100% tps, nitrous cuts out and I pull on them. So all things being equal as you would say, hp&tq that ramps up is much more usable than hp&tq that is all or nothing. Also my turbo doesn't affect my mileage. 3.73's and stall do but those are mods that would benefit both cars.
If I had two cars both 450rwhp one turbo and one n20 I'd pick n20.

If both can keep traction(and believe it or not it is possible because it happens) the n20 car can put all 450rwhp down in each gear including 1st. Now tell me, can your turbo car put down the full hp of, what 4th gear, in 1st? I think not. About every turbo setup I've seen takes off ok in 1st maybe the same for 2nd maybe not and about 4th gear its doing 300mph.

Now a n20 car would be most likely putting down its full rwhp in 1st 2nd 3rd...etc and end up winning the race due to more power being put down at all times for the same given max rwhp level.
Old 06-24-2009, 08:39 PM
On The Tree

alright man, you may know about cars, but with only 2 post in this entire board, u really have no room to talk...i too have an STS kit, ive had it for over 2 yrs now, and for what it costs, it does work and is a good set up, im only going to a front mount because IMO its better...but im blown away by your 450rwhp on 5psi? what else do u have done to that car that your not telling us? when i was at 5 psi, i only made 408rwhp and im now making 450 on 8psi, on a BONE stock 91K miles LS1...i too have talked to rick when i was looking at his set up and he is a very knowledgeable man...but that 1400rwhp t/a is a ls1 BASED motor, thats all it has in common with a stock LS1...i dont know who your refering to about all these STS bashers, but i dont mind my set up at all..it works, yes ive gotten it retuned only because the mail order tune was waay to lean for 8psi...so get off your high horse, and relax..every body has their own opinion, let it be their opinion...
Old 06-30-2009, 05:59 PM
On The Tree

outlawz, you're not right in the head though... lol nah, your car would have quite a bit more on the top end seeing 520. Now your 520 turbo rwhp against his 450rwhp(just a guess) from a dead stop I'd pick your brother to win the 1/4. From any decent roll I'd pick your turbo car. That's just how it is.

If you both had the same rwhp n20 vs turbo, I'd probably pick the spray still but I'd only be 50% confident about it because that turbo could already be spooled up and ready.

If I had two cars both 450rwhp one turbo and one n20 I'd pick n20.

If both can keep traction(and believe it or not it is possible because it happens) the n20 car can put all 450rwhp down in each gear including 1st. Now tell me, can your turbo car put down the full hp of, what 4th gear, in 1st? I think not. About every turbo setup I've seen takes off ok in 1st maybe the same for 2nd maybe not and about 4th gear its doing 300mph.

Now a n20 car would be most likely putting down its full rwhp in 1st 2nd 3rd...etc and end up winning the race due to more power being put down at all times for the same given max rwhp level.

Yes a properly set up turbo car can make full power in 1st gear and carry it all the way thru every gear. My GN made almost 600 ftlbs of at 3500 rpms and was over 500 ftlbs at every RPM on a pull and there was nothing exotic about it. It had stock cast crank, stock cast rods, stock heads with mild port work, stock exhasut manifolds, and a bone stock intake, throttle body and mass air. My GN ran 10.70's at 3700 pounds with only 540 rwhp so your theory of taking twice as much HP on a turbo car doesn't hold water. My GN was traction limited or it could have gone faster. Our local track does not allow slicks and the combination of poor track prep, DR's and totally stock susp did not work too well, but it mph'ed over 130 a few times so it had plenty left. Best 60' was a spinning 1.69
Old 06-30-2009, 06:19 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Steve88
Yes a properly set up turbo car can make full power in 1st gear and carry it all the way thru every gear. My GN made almost 600 ftlbs of at 3500 rpms and was over 500 ftlbs at every RPM on a pull and there was nothing exotic about it. It had stock cast crank, stock cast rods, stock heads with mild port work, stock exhasut manifolds, and a bone stock intake, throttle body and mass air. My GN ran 10.70's at 3700 pounds with only 540 rwhp so your theory of taking twice as much HP on a turbo car doesn't hold water. My GN was traction limited or it could have gone faster. Our local track does not allow slicks and the combination of poor track prep, DR's and totally stock susp did not work too well, but it mph'ed over 130 a few times so it had plenty left. Best 60' was a spinning 1.69
Did your gn have an ls1 or an sts turbo? didn't think so. My point is MOST... 99.999999999999999999999999999999999999999% of turbo setups are like I just described. yours is one of those .00000000000000000001% cars that make up the difference.

I've never seen an out of the box turbo kit for a ls1 put it into the 10s

So my theory does hold water. your car is like the moisture that evaporates so slowly that no one knows about it.
Old 06-30-2009, 06:48 PM
On The Tree

Did your gn have an ls1 or an sts turbo? didn't think so. My point is MOST... 99.999999999999999999999999999999999999999% of turbo setups are like I just described. yours is one of those .00000000000000000001% cars that make up the difference.

So my theory does hold water. your car is like the moisture that evaporates so slowly that no one knows about it.
You weren't only talking about STS kits you made blanket statements about nitrous cars being faster than turbo cars and my point is you have your "theorys" about how things work but you have no experience to back them up. My car was not a LS1 that is true it was an extremely inferior 3.8 V6 that was designed in the 70's and my car was heavier than an F body. 417 Motorsports here on the board had a S10 Blazer(the blazer is still around with a different owner now) and ran 10.80's with a bone stock junkyard 6.0 and a turbo set up built by Blake at 417Motorsports. I do think it is easier to get a nitrous set up work correctly but just because it is easier to set up does not mean turbo set ups are some how inferior or require twice the HP to run the same number.
Old 06-30-2009, 08:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

...boost gage, no need for pulles or No2 injectors in the end to each is his own.... no need to fight on which is better or worse. personally i think the sts is more driver friendly not race car stats although a few have broken in to the 10's and below...

https://ls1tech.com/forums/forced-in...lmr-build.html

Last edited by hawk584; 06-30-2009 at 09:20 PM.
Old 06-30-2009, 09:15 PM
On The Tree

I forgot to mention that 417Motorsports has a twin turbo front mount kit that has put a stock motored LS1 Fbody in the 10's. I will dig up some pics later but the owner of the car is Fitz98TA here on the board so you can search it if you want. Stock 98 long block that saw many bottles of spray before becoming turboed. The car ran 10.90's on the spray(190 shot) then Fitz went to the twin turbo set up and I think went a best of 10.70ish and pretty low boost(less than 10psi I think). Fitz is a nice guy and his car is very sharp.
Old 06-30-2009, 11:04 PM
Launching!

If turbos are so inferior, why do some classes of drag racing require turbo cars to suffer weight penalties?
Old 06-30-2009, 11:18 PM
TECH Resident

You weren't only talking about STS kits you made blanket statements about nitrous cars being faster than turbo cars and my point is you have your "theorys" about how things work but you have no experience to back them up. My car was not a LS1 that is true it was an extremely inferior 3.8 V6 that was designed in the 70's and my car was heavier than an F body. 417 Motorsports here on the board had a S10 Blazer(the blazer is still around with a different owner now) and ran 10.80's with a bone stock junkyard 6.0 and a turbo set up built by Blake at 417Motorsports. I do think it is easier to get a nitrous set up work correctly but just because it is easier to set up does not mean turbo set ups are some how inferior or require twice the HP to run the same number.
I call it like I see it.
I forgot to mention that 417Motorsports has a twin turbo front mount kit that has put a stock motored LS1 Fbody in the 10's. I will dig up some pics later but the owner of the car is Fitz98TA here on the board so you can search it if you want. Stock 98 long block that saw many bottles of spray before becoming turboed. The car ran 10.90's on the spray(190 shot) then Fitz went to the twin turbo set up and I think went a best of 10.70ish and pretty low boost(less than 10psi I think). Fitz is a nice guy and his car is very sharp.
Was this car full weight and an fbody?
Old 06-30-2009, 11:49 PM
On The Tree

I call it like I see it.

Was this car full weight and an fbody?
Yes, the car is a 98 WS6 TA 100% full weight plus the extra weight from the turbo set up and a 6 point roll bar. Jason bought the car new and it is far nicer and cleaner now then it was the day he bought it. It still has A/C and every other luxury option it came with. The car has won many awards at the LSx Shootout and has been featured in the GM High Tech Performance. The link below is to the the GMHTP feature which has many pics of the car inside and out. The car went 10.90's with the nitrous set up which was a 90 shot dry and a 100 shot wet using propane injection. The car has ran 10.70ish with the turbo set up using the same factory 98 longblock that came in the car. I would guestimate that the car weighs 100ish pounds more with the turbo set up and roll bar than it did minus the bar with the nitrous set up. the car is in the process of getting a built motor now so that he and crank up the boost. Jason and I were joking the other day that 4 years ago in our area I had a 10 second turbo car and he had a 10 second nitrous car and we raced a few times now he has a 10 second turbo car and I have a 10 second nitrous car so we swapped sides!

http://www.gmhightechperformance.com...nce/index.html
Old 07-01-2009, 12:05 AM
TECH Resident

you forgot to mention his monster cam lol, but damn, it is mostly stock! I have a subscription to gmhtp. I read over the story but had forgotten about it.

That would be my dream kit!... there I said it!

How much does that kit cost and is that a daily driver? The carb style intake... is it literally carbed now? I will stay fuel injected. I don't want to give up the new stb I bought yesterday either. I'm sure it'd fit an ls6 manifold though, right?

from my understanding stock ls1 rings are only good to 500rwhp and the rod bolts to 6800rpms or something...
Old 07-01-2009, 12:14 AM
On The Tree

you forgot to mention his monster cam lol, but damn, it is mostly stock! I have a subscription to gmhtp. I read over the story but had forgotten about it.

That would be my dream kit!... there I said it!

How much does that kit cost and is that a daily driver? The carb style intake... is it literally carbed now? I will stay fuel injected. I don't want to give up the new stb I bought yesterday either. I'm sure it'd fit an ls6 manifold though, right?

from my understanding stock ls1 rings are only good to 500rwhp and the rod bolts to 6800rpms or something...
It is still EFI, it just used a Vic jr. intake with an elbow to mount the throttle body. The car is not a daily driver but it easily could be, he just has a company car so he doesn't need to drive it daily. He had the entire set up for sale for $5500 a while back because he was thinking of upgrading to an even more serious turbo set up but he diecided to keep the kit and use it on his new motor. 417Motorsports has the jigs to build the set up new and they recently installed the same type of kit on a Ls1 Formula from TX. The car had a 408 and made over 1K rwhp with the kit. I think someone said the Formula was for sale here on the board but I could be wrong.
Old 07-01-2009, 12:19 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 67camaro
If turbos are so inferior, why do some classes of drag racing require turbo cars to suffer weight penalties?
LOL well said...

Quick Reply: Where to buy an STS kit?