Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

IC / DP Sizing Question

Old 06-18-2009, 12:54 PM
Restricted User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default IC / DP Sizing Question

Stock Ls1, truck manifolds looking to run 5-7 Psi for now; down the road will throw in pistons, rods. MY Ic has 2.5 ends on either side of the tank, would running 3 in IC tubing help in the down the road when I turn up the boost. I believe 2.5 should not be a problem untill 700HP right ?

Second question, I'm not a real Tnetics fan, I've broken two Turbo shafts in the past on the dyno before on prior 4 banger projects, but I'm willing to try a TC78. Hot side for the DP comes in 3" 3.5" and 4". What kind of power ranges are each one of those Down pipe sizes good for.

I'm looking to make a clean simple 500 - 550 whp 5-7 psi FOR NOW..... but down the road throw in some better internals and turn up the Psi, So I want room to expand. 3" down pipe should be good till about 650-700hp right ?
Old 06-22-2009, 12:30 PM
irc
Teching In

what is the size of your i/c? always need to match your i/c to your hp by cfm rating. and what size are your turbo and tbo thats important too!!
you can make your i/c bigger than it needs to be but not smaller.
to figure out your i/c piping sizing to support more hp is sometimes misleading ,if your i/c for example has 2.5'' outlets and your turbo are 3'' by increasing your piping you will be able to increase, but if its the other way around it will have a stall in the the air flow.
have been doing this for over 15 years ,usually you can go bigger on your outlet of i/c and it will make more cfm, as long as your i/c outlet size is either the same or is smaller than your turbo you can't flow enough air for it to work properly, don't get me wrong you can get to work but not at its max
Old 06-25-2009, 11:57 AM
Restricted User

the only Ebay I/C i could get to fit "easily" with out having to do a load of cutting is a 23 x 12 x 3 Core with 2.5 inlet and outlets. Its supposed to flow around 1150 cfm ballpark. looking to run a single MPt76 or a TC78 with 7 psi max. I was planning to try to run 3 inch IC tubing incase I had to go to a bigger I/C down the road. It was hard to pass up my ebay special at 56.00 I/c Vs. a previous spearco I paid 1,200.00 on another project.
Old 06-25-2009, 06:34 PM
TECH Resident

im in the process of researching for a t76 for my ls1. i don't know **** and i was wondering is there a certain amount of cfm flow that i should get for my intercooler? i don't know what a bottom number is 1300cfm?
Old 06-25-2009, 07:52 PM
irc
Teching In

First step is to know what hp you are going to have,and then you can figure out the cfm you will need ic to flo
Old 07-01-2009, 09:34 PM
irc
Teching In

your i/c that has 23'' tube length x 12'' tall and 3'' thick will support 760 hp, for a core that will flo 1150! i did recheck your core dems to make sure it will flo that, because some sellers on e bay will tell you o lot of bull on how much hp there cores will support,its probally a chinese core (56 dollars) a piece you can buy 24 of them before you spend what you would for the last one///////
i think your in the rightball park hell what you got to lose

Last edited by irc; 07-01-2009 at 09:40 PM.

Search this Thread