Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Wide band bung?

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2009, 05:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Wide band bung?

I just got my AEM wide band and have been told mixed locations for the bung placement. I have long tubes, off road Y pipe, and catback for my exhaust system. So I have been told to put it in the "I" pipe of the CB, and I've been told to put it in one side of the Y pipe right after the header collector. My thoughts are to put it in the "I" pipe so it reads both sides of the engine and also when on the dyno they have one in the tail pipe whitch would be reading both sides of the engine. On the other hand does it work like a o2 sensor and needs to be close to the engine for the heat ???

Mods: sorry for the gauge post, this is for a boosted car. I searched here and in the pcm section and all I find is what brand and how they work threads.

Last edited by conan; 07-01-2009 at 09:54 PM.
Old 06-29-2009, 10:07 PM
9 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I like mine near the engine. On lt headers I like them in the collector area at or near where the stock 02's are located.
Old 06-30-2009, 06:56 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by code4
I like mine near the engine. On lt headers I like them in the collector area at or near where the stock 02's are located.
So having it only on one side is alright? I also have 2 bungs I could weld on one in each side and switch sides from time to time?
Old 06-30-2009, 07:06 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What about right behind where the y-pipe comes together instead of down in the i-pipe? That would read both sides & be closer to the collector's than back in the i-pipe.

I have often wondered about this too since I see alot of them mounted only on one bank in the collector. But to me that means your only reading the output of one side of the engine correct?
Old 06-30-2009, 07:24 AM
8 sec potential, 12 sec slip

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have mine in the Y-pipe on the driver's side. It seems that its always the drivers side pistons that blow up (like #5 or #7), so I figure thats the side to keep an eye on.. The O2 sensors should have built in heaters iirc, so I don't think its that critical to have them super close to the header fwiw- so you could move it further back immediately after where the Y merges if you want.
Old 06-30-2009, 08:52 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Good question, I need to know this as well!
Sorry I cannot add any input, but I will be watching this thread for more information.
Old 06-30-2009, 09:28 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by BIG_MIKE2005
What about right behind where the y-pipe comes together instead of down in the i-pipe? That would read both sides & be closer to the collector's than back in the i-pipe.

I have often wondered about this too since I see alot of them mounted only on one bank in the collector. But to me that means your only reading the output of one side of the engine correct?
Thats not a bad Idea in the merge of the Y pipe.

Originally Posted by ChevyChad
I have mine in the Y-pipe on the driver's side. It seems that its always the drivers side pistons that blow up (like #5 or #7), so I figure thats the side to keep an eye on.. The O2 sensors should have built in heaters iirc, so I don't think its that critical to have them super close to the header fwiw- so you could move it further back immediately after where the Y merges if you want.
Thats a good point, the # 7 seems to be the lean cylinder that goes boom first.

Thanks for the input guys
Old 07-01-2009, 07:00 AM
TECH Senior Member

One more time TTT. Any one else want to throw in their $.02.
Old 07-01-2009, 03:57 PM

I'm pretty sure the OP was talking about a supercharged setup, NOT a turbo setup. For a turbo setup you are in a completely different ballpark man. There are lots of wideband placement threads tho in this section for you turbo guys. I see them all the time.. Try a search dude
Old 07-01-2009, 05:16 PM
Teching In

what about on a true dual system with a remote twin turbo

thanks
george
Old 07-01-2009, 06:20 PM
TECH Senior Member

I'm pretty sure the OP was talking about a supercharged setup, NOT a turbo setup. For a turbo setup you are in a completely different ballpark man. There are lots of wideband placement threads tho in this section for you turbo guys. I see them all the time.. Try a search dude

Yes for a supercharged car, Kooks LT's ORY, Hooker CB, D1sc. I did a search on this and didn't find much on placement.
Old 07-01-2009, 07:21 PM

No conan, not you.. LOL someone deleted their post I was replying to someone confused about the placement on a turbo car.. I knew I should have hit the quote button! hahahaaa
Old 07-01-2009, 09:49 PM
TECH Senior Member

No conan, not you.. LOL someone deleted their post I was replying to someone confused about the placement on a turbo car.. I knew I should have hit the quote button! hahahaaa
Copy that, thanks man

Quick Reply: Wide band bung?