Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Backyard turbo

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2009 | 01:31 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Backyard turbo

Im putting together a single turbo setup on my 2001 ss. Im gonna use a switzer turbo with a divided dual inlet housing. I will stick with the stock motor for now and run about 8 psi. I should make 550 rwhp but we will see. I have everything worked out except the electronics. What kind of MAP should I use? Where should the O2s go? And how can I keep it mas air? I plan on using the stock ecu and efi live. Any help would be appreciated.
Old 06-20-2009 | 05:24 AM
Teching In

GM 2 bar map
put the O2 right behind the turbo
what numbers are on the turbo?
Old 06-20-2009 | 06:37 AM
11 Second Club

to keep the Mass Air atleast with the stock maf you can only run 5lbs. anything over is peggin the maf out
Old 06-20-2009 | 01:27 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by importkiller_SS
to keep the Mass Air atleast with the stock maf you can only run 5lbs. anything over is peggin the maf out
That doesn't sound right. Lots of guys running a stock maf over 5 pounds boost.
Old 06-21-2009 | 06:52 AM
On The Tree

I know that the sts kit runs 8 psi and uses the stock maf. I was planning on running a larger unit on the pressurised side right before the tb.
Old 06-21-2009 | 07:02 AM
On The Tree

I don't have the turbo right in front of me but when I do I will post more about it. Also has anyone used the RHS 225 heads on a turbo app yet? A few months after the setup is together I'm gonna put together a 408 LQ9 and I'm not sure what heads will go on yet.
Old 06-21-2009 | 03:43 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by greasess
I don't have the turbo right in front of me but when I do I will post more about it. Also has anyone used the RHS 225 heads on a turbo app yet? A few months after the setup is together I'm gonna put together a Ford 427 nitrous engine and really go fast!

Fixed.
Old 06-21-2009 | 03:54 PM
Teching In

This is his turbo...

Btw I know greasess IRL so I can do that
Old 06-21-2009 | 04:30 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by GreasedLightning
This is his turbo...

Btw I know greasess IRL so I can do that

haha he'll need a 8x10 trailor for a reamount setup here!! LOL
Old 06-21-2009 | 05:09 PM
On The Tree

Actually this is the turbo. Hey lightning! Go fix or repair whatever broke on your pickup truck today. Imagine having an fbody with full exaust, suspension mods, intake, 4.11 gears, built trans, a tune and more boost (as if we could even do that) that only runs 8.25 @85mph 1/8. It really isn't fair though because those pi heads have intake ports that gets out flowed by 241 exhaust ports. GREAT DESIGN FORD!
Old 06-21-2009 | 05:12 PM
On The Tree

Oh and he has efans that he had to have his chevy friend wire for him.
Old 06-21-2009 | 05:44 PM
Teching In

Actually this is the turbo. Hey lightning! Go fix or repair whatever broke on your pickup truck today. Imagine having an fbody with full exaust, suspension mods, intake, 4.11 gears, built trans, a tune and more boost (as if we could even do that) that only runs 8.25 @85mph 1/8. It really isn't fair though because those pi heads have intake ports that gets out flowed by 241 exhaust ports. GREAT DESIGN FORD!
First off go clean that freak turbo up,lol.
Nothing has ever 'broke' on my truck other than the trans intermediate clutch packs getting fryed,but that was my fault,hehe. Speaking of broke,say 'Hi' to your 10 bolt for me and the spares you got in your garage...

Yea,the PI heads SUCK compared to your 241 castings,but that doesn't matter that much with my Eaton huffing air down thier ports and the realitively big **** factory cams. But thats not the point...

Hmm,notice some similarities? Funny how GM made heads that have the SAME architecture as Windsor small block heads made for over 40yrs
Good job on the copy/past GM...A+

Anyways,I'll be 'monitoring' your progess now,muwahaha!
Old 06-21-2009 | 07:37 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by GreasedLightning
First off go clean that freak turbo up,lol.
Nothing has ever 'broke' on my truck other than the trans intermediate clutch packs getting fryed,but that was my fault,hehe. Speaking of broke,say 'Hi' to your 10 bolt for me and the spares you got in your garage...

Yea,the PI heads SUCK compared to your 241 castings,but that doesn't matter that much with my Eaton huffing air down thier ports and the realitively big **** factory cams. But thats not the point...

Hmm,notice some similarities? Funny how GM made heads that have the SAME architecture as Windsor small block heads made for over 40yrs
Good job on the copy/past GM...A+

Anyways,I'll be 'monitoring' your progess now,muwahaha!
What, similar port spacing? That's about it. You don't know what your talking about.
Old 06-21-2009 | 08:36 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by forgedlt4
What, similar port spacing? That's about it. You don't know what your talking about.
Theres about a 30 year development defference between those heads,look at any first gen or LT1 head with its sieimes ports and 5 bolt per bore, and water jacket placement, its far differant. Who knows if the LS engines are based primarily off the block or the heads (unless you worked on GMs engineering team) when they wanted to re design but you can't tell me that the standard SBF head design ISN'T closer then the prior SBC heads.

If Ford had stuck with the push rod based engines,who knows every V8 might have been rolling off the line with canted valve,Yates/Cleveland style heads.
Old 06-21-2009 | 08:58 PM
On The Tree

This is not a chevy vs ford thread. Cool it jerry.
Old 06-21-2009 | 09:07 PM
Teching In

This is not a chevy vs ford thread. Cool it jerry.
Ok Dane...gerus

So anyway want thous links to the tubing and exhuast pieces?

Quick Reply: Backyard turbo