Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Vortech's new VTS twin screw blower... will they make kits for vettes and camaros?

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2009, 08:14 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by gi8e7oi825
lmfao
It does not suck to be me. Pretty happy with myself! Made a mistake, I'll admit. At least I don't go trolling forums to say senseless dumbass **** to people to try to make since of my pathetic excuse for a life. I thought there was a kit, I shared my Information. And your an idiot.
Old 07-30-2009, 08:20 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Johny GTO
So what cars will Vortech's twin screw units fit on?? And dont tell me the ******* Mustang!! If those cars get one more twin screw system available to them, that will make like 10 frigging twin screw systems alone, and i will **** in my hat.

Come on, Vortech!!! Makes some for the LS series motors for God's sake!!
I heard trucks, like silverado and colorado, and of course they'll do mustang, cuz u know mustangs are like tampons, every .... oh u know the rest.
Old 07-31-2009, 12:32 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Vortech's Lysholm (2.3litre and 3.3litre) units have the exact same external physical dimensions of the Whipple 2.3 and 3.3, so don't expect different fitments to be possible. Don't you think they would be screaming F-body if they had something that fit? The only Camaro they are talking about is the 2010 model, sorry. The F-body setback motor rules out a lot of setups where Mustangs are pretty much wide open and normal engine bays.

Jim
Old 07-31-2009, 08:14 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by DAVESS02
The Whipple 3.3 sandrail kit will fit any and every F-body in the universe. I know so because Capt. Plasma Cutter and Commander Chop Saw told me so.....
Stay tuned.......
LoL. Yup, with allies like that just about anything is possible.

Originally Posted by Killer_Z
I heard trucks, like silverado and colorado, and of course they'll do mustang, cuz u know mustangs are like tampons, every .... oh u know the rest.
hehe, well put. Thats pretty cool that it will fit trucks. Does chevy still make the S-10?? If so, perhaps a twin-screwed muscle truck is in my future. Swap a big V-8 into an S-10l, slap a twin screw on it, built tranny, and off into the sunset i go!!! lol, that would be great.

Originally Posted by DeltaT
Vortech's Lysholm (2.3litre and 3.3litre) units have the exact same external physical dimensions of the Whipple 2.3 and 3.3, so don't expect different fitments to be possible. Don't you think they would be screaming F-body if they had something that fit? The only Camaro they are talking about is the 2010 model, sorry. The F-body setback motor rules out a lot of setups where Mustangs are pretty much wide open and normal engine bays.

Jim
Thank you for the info, even if it isnt what i was hoping to hear. that really sucks about the f-bodies. Hopefully the new camaro and vette will have lots of after market FI support. One can only hope.
Old 07-31-2009, 05:53 PM
TECH Resident

LoL. Yup, with allies like that just about anything is possible.

hehe, well put. Thats pretty cool that it will fit trucks. Does chevy still make the S-10?? If so, perhaps a twin-screwed muscle truck is in my future. Swap a big V-8 into an S-10l, slap a twin screw on it, built tranny, and off into the sunset i go!!! lol, that would be great.

Thank you for the info, even if it isnt what i was hoping to hear. that really sucks about the f-bodies. Hopefully the new camaro and vette will have lots of after market FI support. One can only hope.
yeah i've thought about doing that as well. but hell, find a classic camaro 67-69, or even a 72 split bumper, do a 402 stroker and a big whipple 3.4L and drool. then have a sticker on the back window saying "I love being blown and stroked". haha.
Old 07-31-2009, 06:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bowtiebuilder
It does not suck to be me. Pretty happy with myself! Made a mistake, I'll admit. At least I don't go trolling forums to say senseless dumbass **** to people to try to make since of my pathetic excuse for a life. I thought there was a kit, I shared my Information. And your an idiot.
You would be happy with yourself. Common sense tells us if you aren't, you'd change, but I hate to point out the obvious. I also hate to be a grammarian, but for the love of God, if you're going to insult me, please ask someone to proof read what you type before you post it. Furthermore, trolling around isn't such a bad idea. Try it. You might learn a few things, then no one will have to waste time scrolling past dumb posts like this or this.
Old 08-03-2009, 03:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Do you not realize that this is a new kit?
I'm sorry, were you involved in the design, planning, or production of this kit in someway that we dont know about? Do you know the exact dimensions of said kit?? It would appear that a twin screw that fits under the vette's hood has been done by TECHCO. Is it possible that since this kit is new, possibly it would fit under a camaro hood, or a GTO, etc??

Since you are speaking of past kits (whipple, KB), perhaps you shouldnt speak with such authority about a new kit you know nothing about?
At best you are guessing based on previous kits from other companies.
You're right, I didn't design this kit. I have however spent a lot of time working with and around screw type blowers, and I will tell you that to get a blower that can move enough air to feed a 350+ CI engine with authority, you're not going to package it under an unmodified F-Body cowl. The problem is with the relative height from the valley to the cowl; not to mention the need to cool the air if you want big numbers, and the associated packaging issues induced there.

The Top Fuel bike my family races runs the current newest tech in screwcharger land (including some stuff that hasn't even trickled into the mass market yet) and it still isn't noticably smaller vs. cubic feet/minute. It does move more air, more efficiently, but there are limits to how much air you can move via X sized packaging due to the physics of the design.

So no, at best I'm not guessing based on previous kits from other companies, at best I'm guessing based on first hand experience with the most advanced screwchargers currently in use in world class racing applications.

If you want one, go build it yourself, it would be a hell of a ride.
Old 08-03-2009, 04:13 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by digitalsolo
You're right, I didn't design this kit. I have however spent a lot of time working with and around screw type blowers, and I will tell you that to get a blower that can move enough air to feed a 350+ CI engine with authority, you're not going to package it under an unmodified F-Body cowl. The problem is with the relative height from the valley to the cowl; not to mention the need to cool the air if you want big numbers, and the associated packaging issues induced there.

The Top Fuel bike my family races runs the current newest tech in screwcharger land (including some stuff that hasn't even trickled into the mass market yet) and it still isn't noticably smaller vs. cubic feet/minute. It does move more air, more efficiently, but there are limits to how much air you can move via X sized packaging due to the physics of the design.

So no, at best I'm not guessing based on previous kits from other companies, at best I'm guessing based on first hand experience with the most advanced screwchargers currently in use in world class racing applications.

If you want one, go build it yourself, it would be a hell of a ride.
Well you would appear to be qualified to speak rather authoritatively on the subject matter, so perhaps i can ask you some questions. Forget about the F-body. I am speaking about the GTO (2004-2006), the G8, the new camaro, and the Corvette. They can fit the Maggie TVS2300 under the hood without issue. How much bigger is a 2.8 liter Kenne bell??? Why wouldnt they be able to get that under there? Or the 3 liter vortech (staying on topic)??
I cant imagine it would be much bigger.

And you are telling me they cant fit any of the twin screws (KB, whipple, vortech, harrops twin screws, etc) on any of these cars (g8, vette, gto, camaro, etc) with an LS2 or LS3??? They fit the KB on the C5 vette, but i guess they are dragging *** on the C6 and such.

Even if you needed to buy a new hood for the vette, camaro, g8, gto, etc.... thats fine!! Buying a new hood aint a bad thing. obviously it isnt ideal, but if the kit will fit in every other manner except for needing a new hood, that isnt too bad at all!!!

I would bet many people with these GM cars would be willing to swap hoods if it meant they could rock a Twin Screw. I would. ****, with the nostril hood on the LS2 GTO, that would probably give a bit of extra clearance to get something under there.

Anyway.... I just feel the GM cars are being neglected by the supercharger twin screw market, and it pisses me off.
Old 08-03-2009, 11:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

As long as you have enough clearance at the cowl, you can absolutely fit one of these blowers on any car. The problem with the F-Body is the cowl, period. It's just too far over the motor.

The roots blowers I've seen (Magnuson/Eaton) are smaller then most of the screwchargers in height, though personally I find the roots type blowers available for the LS1 to be too small to make good power efficiently (personal opinion, don't crucify me here). I just don't much care for them; the new TVS stuff is a little different, though, again, I would probably go a little larger then the 2300 for a big motor, at least the efficiency is up a lot from the old units.

The 2.3/3.3 whipple is a pretty big blower, but with a good cowl hood and attention to packaging, a kit could be made for the G8 or GTO I believe (from what I've seen there is sufficient clearance at the rear of the motor, though the blower might have to run a short snout to bring it forward a bit).

The other thing to keep in mind is that these blowers require a front/rear air inlet of good size, and, as such, require the hood to be tall at the very front, as the intake will typically be at the rear of the blower (or at the front + a jackshaft). Regardless of whether the intake is front with a jackshaft to the rear, or in the rear with a front pulley, there is a lot of longitudinal space taken up there. This isn't an issue on street rods and sand rails as there is plenty of room.

Have you ever looked closely at a Mustang Cobra? They have a tight radius inlet to the back of the blowers as they run a front pulley, and that's on a car with engineering in mind to clearance this. On these tight bay GM cars, it is just plain difficult to package it all in a way that is both sane (doesn't require a new firewall) and efficient (doesn't have a 2" inlet with 5 90* bends in it). A choked down intake will KILL the efficiency of a screw type blower, quickly.

This is all a long winded way of saying that it's not likely that companies will create these kits, as there are a LOT of hurdles to be overcome (hood clearance, firewall clearance, belt drive (major power boost needs at least an 8 rib, big power will need 10 rib or cog style), and air feed to the blower). Now add in aftercooling (air/water exchanger under the blower) and you've got a lot of hardware packaged in a VER small space. Look at how much trouble the turbo companies have staying in business in this market; it's a tough game to play, people want something trouble-free, and there just isn't an easy way to make a screwcharger fit these cars.

One other thing to keep in mind, put a 3.3 whipple on this car, and your 10 bolt is dead, period. These blowers put out diesel like low-end torque (our bike 60 foots under 1 second), and are HARD on drivetrain parts.

I'm sorry if this sounds like I'm downing screwchargers, I'm not, I absolutely love them, it's just a tough package to sell on a car like this, turbos (real or belt driven) just suit them better, packaging wise. Too bad, because a screwcharger is a lot of run to drive.

edit: I missed one part of your question; the ZR1 uses a lot of custom casting in the blower to fit it under the hood (the blower actually blows UP into the aftercooler, which feeds the cylinders). It's not economical for Kenne Bell or Whipple to make a kit like this for such a small market if it requires massive amounts of custom tooling to build; if you notice, all their kits are adapters to bolt the existing blower in place of something else. It's hard to maintain profitability in such a niche market unfortunately. The ZR1's factory blower may help change this (since some of their work is done for them) but I'm not holding my breath.
Old 08-04-2009, 12:46 AM
TECH Resident

Digitalsolo,

That was awesome. Thank you for that well thought out, clear, and concise explanation of what is going on regarding the lack of screw-chargers and our cars. Most people just chime in with the often parroted "it wont clear the cowl\firewall\windshield", or say something like "with enough money anything will fit, go for it". The thing that always struck me was as i said, a Maggie TVS 2300 unit can fit, so why couldnt a twin screw of equal or lesser displacement?? Granted i havent seen both units in person side by side, but in pics and on cars they look roughly the same size. So it always bothered me that none of the twin screw companies made kits for the GM cars. I mean hell, whipple and i think KB make screw kits for trucks, but not cars. WTF is that, ya know??

Anyway, i really hope we get some options for our GM cars. I have a GTO myself, and would love a screw charger for it. Since none is available and likely never will be, i will most likely go for a TVS 2300 when i go FI. Like you said, the diesel like low end is soo fun to drive. I drove a big heavy Impala SS that had a roots blower on it pushing about 10lbs. The thing was big and heavy, and obviously the older LT1 with a roots blower is no where near as powerful as a new LS3 with a TVS or Screw charger, but the thing was still a friggin blast to drive!! I remember cruisin down the street at 40mph, and just blipping the throttle and the tires would go up in smoke from a 1200rpm cruise. lol. It was addictive. I love having power instantly, without having to rev it out like a centri, or possibly wait like a turbo. However, Turbo's are bad *** when done right... thats for sure!!

I am hoping this TECHCO company does well for itself and expands its product line. They currrently make screw chargers for Mustangs, Chargers\Challengers, and the new vettes and camaros. So there is hope for GM based screw blowers!! I am hoping the techco gets a good following on the GM cars, and companies like KB and whipple step up to the plate and pput out systems for the GM cars. I dont think KB has made a kit for the vette since the C5. Thats pretty shitty.

Anyway, thanks again for the chat. It was informative. I am also glad to see a fellow screw-charger fan out there!! It seems they dont get the proper respect from GM guys, guys who usually defer to the centri-blower when going superchargers. They consider the Maggie good for street use, but for big horsepower cars or track cars Centri blowers like the procharger or paxton novi are the way to go. It seems like most GM guys feel you have to pick one or the other (centri or roots\tvs) based on which you want to do (street or big number\track) if you go with a super charger. In reality, if we had some screw charger options, you could do both, essentially having your cake and eating it to!! The screw blowers are awesome on the street, and they can also push huge numbers and rip at the track. I guess the GM guys are the way they are because they probably dont have much experience using the twin screws since there are barely any gm cars they have kits for. I think if more GM guys would get a chance to drive a twin screw car, like i drove a twin screw mustang, a large majority would be impressed and be calling for screw kits like me. I couldnt believe the way that mustang ripped. It had more low end than the roots-impalla i drove, even though the mustang had an engine that was a liter smaller. And the screwed-mustang pulled like a rocket all the way to redline where it shifted, and the pulling started all over just as strong at the bottom RPM of the next gear. The Roots-impala started weakening noticeably around 5k rpms.

Anyway, thats my rant for the night. Thanks again DIgitalSolo.

P.S. VORTECH..... Make some kits for us GM guys... PLEASE!!!!!
Old 09-12-2009, 02:14 PM
11 Second Club

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

Thats A Sick Supercharger!!!

Quick Reply: Vortech's new VTS twin screw blower... will they make kits for vettes and camaros?