Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Turbo Orientation

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2009, 11:03 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turbo Orientation

I'm in the midst of a custom build and I'm trying to lay out what will fit where. Does a turbo have to sit in a certain orientation? The only reason I can see it matter would be oiling.

A buddy of mine said it needs to be placed with the inlet from the exhaust facing down, but I've also seen builds with this facing up so I'm not sure. I'm looking at placing it with the exhaust inlet flange facing down, but with the entire turbo on a 45° angle along the turbine axis, with the compressor inlet facing up and forward and the exhaust output facing down and back. Is this gonna cause issues with oiling or any other aspects of performance? I might be able to fit it horizontal if it's absolutely critical but if it doesn't matter then I'll be better off angling it.
Old 07-08-2009, 11:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

You should be able to clock them any way you wish. Some of them have v-bands you loosen. Mine had bolts to loosen but you need to kep the center section facing up and down for oiling. Other than that you can carefully rotate the housings to where you want then tighten everything down. Be careful though since there's not much room at all on the compressor side between the wheel and the wall. Hope this helps (and is correct lol).
Old 07-09-2009, 06:45 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by WS6 GreeN
You should be able to clock them any way you wish. Some of them have v-bands you loosen. Mine had bolts to loosen but you need to kep the center section facing up and down for oiling. Other than that you can carefully rotate the housings to where you want then tighten everything down. Be careful though since there's not much room at all on the compressor side between the wheel and the wall. Hope this helps (and is correct lol).
I knew the 2 halfs could be clocked separately from one another, I just didn't know if the axis of the turbo has to be horizontal for oiling.
Old 07-09-2009, 07:35 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yes the oil drain needs to be horizontal, you can have it at a slight angle, but not to much.
Old 07-09-2009, 08:34 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by smokinHawk
yes the oil drain needs to be horizontal, you can have it at a slight angle, but not to much.
I remember reading that the oil drain line should be at no more than a 30° angle to the pan, which shouldn’t be a problem for me, but does it matter if the turbo itself is on an upward angle?
It’ll be mounted on the passenger side of the engine compartment with the compressor inlet pointing up and forward. If this doesn’t make sense I’ll get a picture tonight.
Old 07-09-2009, 09:54 AM
TECH Regular

From what I have read, you want the turbo's shaft at a 15* angle or less to the ground. I wonder what the APS turbos are though as in some applications they look to be 15, or more.
Old 07-09-2009, 11:04 AM
Teching In

That's the kind of info I was looking for....thanks!

Quick Reply: Turbo Orientation