Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

no need for APS?

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2009, 12:28 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default no need for APS?

i was just wondering if there any way to make tubular exhaust manifolds that place the turbo's in the same way, or is finding a turbo that fits going to be a problem ?

i really like the APS design but not the price or the turbo's they come with.
Old 07-16-2009, 09:10 AM
10 Second Club

i'm sure you could get any number of people to fab some headers that would fit like the aps manifolds, but it would be expensive.

There are prob a lot of people around that havn't even installed the kits yet.........APS is a really intimidating install for the average person in their garage.......................I bet if you looked hard enough you could catch one of the kits new for 5-6 and cheaper than that used.

If you have a stock motor the turbos are good for a long time, but if you start pushing them with a stroker motor they will die early. A few folks have told me that they are good to 6-650 at the wheels before they overspin.

Good replacements are 2 grand through lg or you could get a good turbo shop that could custom fit some gt35's or better turbos for around 3.

I wouldn't be afraid to get a used aps kit and put some of the better turbos on it.

that would be a really good solid kit
Old 07-16-2009, 11:20 AM
Launching!

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

^^^ I disagree with the above statement. People keep saying that APS turbos are good at low boost and don't overspin till 650rwhp.I know from personal exp. that this isn't true. I had my turbos on my car with H/C running stock boost, 7.5psi, and one took a **** after less than 500 miles. The turbos the kit comes with are **** as you can see by everybodys broken cars. Also, LG upgrades are $2,800. The kit is pretty good, until you get to the turbos.
Old 07-16-2009, 12:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

it still amazes me that ppl are buying aps kit when they have so many problems after u buy the kit for what 6k then spend an extra 2grand on upgrades you could of went to a shop an had a custom kit made up prolly with no problems.
Old 07-16-2009, 12:58 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by trans2000am
it still amazes me that ppl are buying aps kit when they have so many problems after u buy the kit for what 6k then spend an extra 2grand on upgrades you could of went to a shop an had a custom kit made up prolly with no problems.
i agree with you. but i like the fact of cast manifolds. go ask Speed inc(jim) what happens after time on just fabbercated manifolds. they break.
Old 07-16-2009, 02:04 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by KnightmareLS1
^^^ I disagree with the above statement. People keep saying that APS turbos are good at low boost and don't overspin till 650rwhp.I know from personal exp. that this isn't true. I had my turbos on my car with H/C running stock boost, 7.5psi, and one took a **** after less than 500 miles. The turbos the kit comes with are **** as you can see by everybodys broken cars. Also, LG upgrades are $2,800. The kit is pretty good, until you get to the turbos.
So what exactly happens when the turbo went on yours.did it start blowing oil out big time..did the blades rub against the compressor housing?
What did it do?
Old 07-16-2009, 02:56 PM
Launching!

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

It started smoking like crazy. I pulled off the inlets and the wheel on the turbo was clearly hitting the housing. There was fluid seeping out of the downpipe where it bolts to the turbo. I drained my oil and it looked like chocolate milk. I drained the coolant(what was left) and not much came out. Just picture the cloud created when you dump coolant/oil straight into your exhaust. When I pulled up one guy thought my car was on fire.
Old 07-16-2009, 02:58 PM
TECH Addict

has anybody tried to buy the TT kit minus the turbos?
Old 07-16-2009, 03:59 PM
FormerVendor

Try to get a tubular fabricated turbo kit for 8k. It wont happen. GT35Rs alone are almost 4k.

When you put everything into perspective, the APS kit, upgraded or not, is a bargain. All things considered, HUGE FMIC, Good IC piping, quality DPs and True Tial Gates, the kit is pretty kick ***. Yes, the turbos do suck, but we have a solution for that
Old 07-16-2009, 08:49 PM
TECH Addict

do you have to use gt35's ? why not just get two t3/t4 turbos from precision or something ? or am i going to run into fitments issues ?
Old 07-16-2009, 10:08 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by elias_799
do you have to use gt35's ? why not just get two t3/t4 turbos from precision or something ? or am i going to run into fitments issues ?
You, more than likely are gonna run into some fitments issues.
Old 07-16-2009, 10:30 PM
TECH Veteran

Umm think you need to get an actual f body and start measuring it up!
There is next to no room in there ,even with the aps turbos its very close in places, very close. And thats with stock type block hugging type manifolds. Still you have to use poly motor mounts.
The kit is as Louis said very nice in most everything except the iffy turbos.
You are not going to fab up something in your backyard to anywhere near the level of the aps kit. I don't know what the hell happened with the turbos. Aps should be buying genuine mits 20gs but they either got fooled or cheaped out and got likely chinese knock off crap.
Still if you can buy a used aps kit for a decent price then adding the LG turbos is not so bad. FI is not cheap well it can be if you want to cobble together something and have a good knowledge of welding, etc.
I just wanted a kit that could bolt on and basically got it. Have a huge intercooler that fits good in the car. Have had one instance of overheating but it don't get as hot here as other places. So far it seems my turbos are still working. Just got back from little test and tune. I still like my kit even with its problems most of which are simple enough to fix. Aps just needs to work on their turbo quality and quality control.
Also I have had good experiences with Peter at APS. Maybe I am just good with people but he has treated me fine.
Old 07-16-2009, 11:42 PM
TECH Addict

how much do mits 20gs go for ? i presume you will not have fitment issues with those ?
Old 07-16-2009, 11:47 PM
TECH Veteran

Genuine mits 20gs think like 1000 to 1200 each ??? There are knock offs out there is the problem. Chinese crap mostly.

You are not going to replicate the aps setup very easily. Look for a used kit and upgrade the turbos. Aps makes you buy an msd starter to run their upgraded f body kit as clearance is as said very tight.

You also need to buy a bmr or similar k member stock k member is in the way.again there isn't much room in there.Steering linkage is close, intercooler is about biggest you can fit in there and not hack things to pieces.
System is well thought out mostly. Nothing is perfect.I will tweak mine until it is near perfect. Course it is sort of like a borg on star trek when its done..lg turbos, other make of scavenger pump. 3 inch oval exhaust tubing in the inlet tubes to stent them..spacers on the sway bar so it don't hit the intercooler pipes..etc.
Old 07-17-2009, 12:16 AM
10 Second Club

I agree, if all you have is 6 or 7 to spend, you probably need to look at getting single turbo kit from a good shop like KY turbo. If you want a really nice twin turbo kit then the APS kit is still your best choice for a factory quality kit.

get the APS kit either used or new, replace the **** turbos......you will have a top notch kit for 8-9 grand. Really good twin kits are not cheap.

A good custom tubular twin kit is not going to happen for 7 or 8 grand. Building custom headers alone is going to be 2,000 plus 3-4k for turbos.

that puts you at 5-6k and you don't have bov's, wastegates, or even an intercooler.
Old 07-17-2009, 07:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by bluehawk2
I agree, if all you have is 6 or 7 to spend, you probably need to look at getting single turbo kit from a good shop like KY turbo. If you want a really nice twin turbo kit then the APS kit is still your best choice for a factory quality kit.

get the APS kit either used or new, replace the **** turbos......you will have a top notch kit for 8-9 grand. Really good twin kits are not cheap.

A good custom tubular twin kit is not going to happen for 7 or 8 grand. Building custom headers alone is going to be 2,000 plus 3-4k for turbos.

that puts you at 5-6k and you don't have bov's, wastegates, or even an intercooler.
well my kit was 5k and is qaulity built(st80 t6,jgs wastegate an blowoff,intercooler,alumium cold side,vband ect) this kit can get me 1,000 to the ground.

i kinda dissagree with you on 4 grand for turbos unless you want ball bearing 1's but tc76 is a great turbo for what 1,000 bucks. i think 8 grand is enough for a twin kit if you do it right an research.
Old 07-17-2009, 08:20 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by trans2000am
i kinda dissagree with you on 4 grand for turbos unless you want ball bearing 1's but tc76 is a great turbo for what 1,000 bucks. i think 8 grand is enough for a twin kit if you do it right an research.
Um, GT35Rs=Ball bearing. 90% of the people here want ball bearing. Trust me, I know this for a fact. Big singles dont spool like twins, so you can get away with journal bearing.

Case and point, The APS kit is a bargain, even with upgraded turbos.
Old 07-17-2009, 12:04 PM
Banned

if all you have is 5-6K start with the rear. and work forward. a FI build is no little task. i want 1000 plus to the ground. and i got about 20K plus in build so far. and still need another 6K of parts off the top of my head.

READ THIS. IT WILL HELP
Old 07-18-2009, 11:27 AM
TECH Apprentice

Default LG upgraded Turbos

Originally Posted by Louis
Um, GT35Rs=Ball bearing. 90% of the people here want ball bearing. Trust me, I know this for a fact. Big singles dont spool like twins, so you can get away with journal bearing.

Case and point, The APS kit is a bargain, even with upgraded turbos.
Louis, Does LGmotorsports sell the entire APS kit with the upgraded turbos with it? Im looking to get an APS kit in the next few months when I get back home to Texas.
Old 07-18-2009, 12:13 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Big_Bird_WS6
if all you have is 5-6K start with the rear. and work forward. a FI build is no little task. i want 1000 plus to the ground. and i got about 20K plus in build so far. and still need another 6K of parts off the top of my head.

READ THIS. IT WILL HELP

Couldn't have said it better myself.