Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Ebay kit while retaining a/c?

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2009, 04:01 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ebay kit while retaining a/c?

I know some of you have the ebay kits. With this kit can you retain a/c?
Thanks
Old 08-13-2009, 04:03 PM
Banned

Was posted maybe 2 days ago.
Old Phamspeed setup ripped of by the Ebay suppliers.
Pipes run under the K-member.
Old 08-13-2009, 09:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Josh @ KYTP
Was posted maybe 2 days ago.
Old Phamspeed setup ripped of by the Ebay suppliers.
Pipes run under the K-member.
Patent, patent, patent.

Patent everything you make.
Old 08-14-2009, 08:44 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan Stewart
Patent, patent, patent.

Patent everything you make.
There is nothing patentable with Phamspeed kits, or turbo kits in general.

The reason StS could get theirs is because there has not been any rearmount production kits prior to them.
Old 08-14-2009, 09:07 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by RealQuick
There is nothing patentable with Phamspeed kits, or turbo kits in general.

The reason StS could get theirs is because there has not been any rearmount production kits prior to them.
Was there any kit for the LS1 even similar to the Phamspeed at the time he was building them? Exact same bends? Exact material? Diameter? Finish? Nope? Patent.

STS proves my point.

How can they hold a patent on a rearmount when they didn't invent the rearmounted turbo system?

Answer, they introduced one for a specific vehicle that had not existed before. An improvement upon an existing design. Patent.

The key words are (repeat after me) "improvement to an existing design".

One thing to remember about patents though, they don't necessarily mean you own the rights to the design. Especially if someone else can prove that you didn't invent whatever your patent is for.

I'm willing to bet Corky Bell could easily poke holes in any patent infringment case STS would file against him if he started selling rearmounts. I mean, kind of hard to dispute a book with pictures of rearmounts he built for sale in it with a copyright dated long before STS introduced their first kit.

But, then we get into reverse engineering and well, sort of blows patents out of the water with the whole "can't patent something someone would have figured out eventually".

Either way, patent. Whether or not you will win in an infringement case, patent anyway.
Old 08-14-2009, 09:29 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan Stewart
Was there any kit for the LS1 even similar to the Phamspeed at the time he was building them? Exact same bends? Exact material? Diameter? Finish? Nope? Patent.
Do you deal with patents much? I work for a large medical company, and often need to sift thru patents in order get around claims. Nothing patentable about bends, material, Diameter, Finish IMO.

STS proves my point.
Not quite. If Corky Bell has pictures showing a rearmount design, then he could invalidate that patent.

How can they hold a patent on a rearmount when they didn't invent the rearmounted turbo system?
I really need to see the patent to view the independent claims. Anything that is public knowledge can not be patented after the fact.

Answer, they introduced one for a specific vehicle that had not existed before. An improvement upon an existing design. Patent.

The key words are (repeat after me) "improvement to an existing design".
Have you read the claims? How many independent and dependent claims are there?

One thing to remember about patents though, they don't necessarily mean you own the rights to the design. Especially if someone else can prove that you didn't invent whatever your patent is for. I'm willing to bet Corky Bell could easily poke holes in any patent infringment case STS would file against him if he started selling rearmounts. I mean, kind of hard to dispute a book with pictures of rearmounts he built for sale in it with a copyright dated long before STS introduced their first kit.
Anything that is public knowledge can not be patented after the fact. Corky Bell should challenge the rearmount patent if the pictures clearly show what is in the independent claims.

Either way, patent. Whether or not you will win in an infringement case, patent anyway.
Patents are expensive, and nowadays, getting patents are more difficult. I have seen lots of claims get rejected. They are not as easy as you may think. It also takes around 2-3 years from the submission date.
Old 08-14-2009, 09:53 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Much?? How did "does this work with A/C" turn into they should have patented it?

Anyway like I said about 2 days ago and Josh also said it was posted and its off the old phamspeed kit and it does work with the A/C, and goes under the k-member for charge pipe and downpipe (although if you do the alt. relocation mod, the d/p can go through there)
Old 08-14-2009, 08:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by RealQuick
Do you deal with patents much? I work for a large medical company, and often need to sift thru patents in order get around claims. Nothing patentable about bends, material, Diameter, Finish IMO.

Not quite. If Corky Bell has pictures showing a rearmount design, then he could invalidate that patent.

I really need to see the patent to view the independent claims. Anything that is public knowledge can not be patented after the fact.

Have you read the claims? How many independent and dependent claims are there?

Anything that is public knowledge can not be patented after the fact. Corky Bell should challenge the rearmount patent if the pictures clearly show what is in the independent claims.

Patents are expensive, and nowadays, getting patents are more difficult. I have seen lots of claims get rejected. They are not as easy as you may think. It also takes around 2-3 years from the submission date.
That's great! I too have worked on several patent applications for the companies I have worked for! And currently working on my first personal patent application for a new scr scrubber design I just built for the paper mill I work for.

So, we both agree that neither one of us is a patent attorney, work for the USPTO and opinions are like a$$holes, everyone has one?

Quick Reply: Ebay kit while retaining a/c?