Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Thinking of turbo C5 ideas. Please chime in.

Old 08-13-2009, 11:52 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Thinking of turbo C5 ideas. Please chime in.

Hello,
So I am going to be purchasing a 98 C5 6sp soon, and my plan is for a solid 700whp capable setup.

I have several ideas in mind, and would like your opinion and 0.02

First, I am considering using reverse LQ4 headers to use, but I'm not sure if using this method will fit using the stock hood of the C5. I'm also not clear, as to how it works. I'm assuming I would just need to weld in an extra space for the wastegates on each header? And what type of turbo would connect to the header? Would I just weld a T4 flange, or how does it work?

I'm assuming everything else is pretty self explanitory. The main concern is just fitment issues. My ideal setup would be to use twin 66mm turbo's.

I would like to ask if the LQ4 method of twin turboing a C5 is fairly straightforward and if it is a simple way to go twin turbo. Meaning, without having to move or exchange too many parts that already exhist in the c5 engine bay.

My second option would be to use the new Hinson C5 single turbo hot parts and run a 76mm single turbo and just make a custom air to air intercooler setup from a shop here in Houston.

I'm making a list of parts necessary (please add any I may be missing) to begin with to make sure the car is driveable for low boost: The headers/hot parts including the intake- the turbo(s) - wastegate (s) -custom intercooler piping and front mounted intercooler- 60lb. or greater fuel injectors - fuel pump - and of course a tune and decent clutch.

Thanks for your suggestions and help.
Old 08-13-2009, 11:58 PM
Staging Lane

Also,

How much boost on a 76mm turbo can a bone stock LS1 handle?

And with forged pistons, retaining a 346c.i., can I see some good numbers? 700whp+?
Old 08-14-2009, 01:51 AM
Launching!

Boost aint the question son... if you're asking that question then you wont even understand the answers.

Long story short: get your pocket book ready, or start reading... one or the other.

Call fast lane, Late Model Racecraft, or another LSX tuner in Houston... Their price numbers will be DEAD on for what you want, so dont be surprised.
Old 08-14-2009, 02:16 AM
Launching!

go aps or TTi.
Old 08-14-2009, 02:26 AM
Launching!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I have been thinking that a Single rear mount would be what I want for my C5.
I have a friend with a t76 running 14psi just fine, on a stock ls1. With meth and a decent tune, you might not need an inter cooler. IMO I would at least get some ARP 2000 rod bolts, and a turbo cam. Your also gunna need to do some mods for boost reference, ect. If you go rear mount, youll need a remote oil pump. But the thing I like about the rear mount is that Instead of dual exhaust, you have hot pipe, and cold pipe. Nice big fat single turbo exhaust pipe in the middle, or dumped.
Old 08-14-2009, 02:32 AM
Teching In

id go with an sts
Old 08-14-2009, 06:20 AM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Adam Connell
Boost aint the question son... if you're asking that question then you wont even understand the answers.

Long story short: get your pocket book ready, or start reading... one or the other.

Call fast lane, Late Model Racecraft, or another LSX tuner in Houston... Their price numbers will be DEAD on for what you want, so dont be surprised.
^Idiot of the week response. He didnt ask where to take it. You need to realize some people have skills other than writing checks. Not everyone has bottomless pockets and automotive skills limited to pushing the gas pedal and putting gas in the car.

My 99 C5 has 160k on it and when something does happen to it I'll be building a turbo setup for it. I'd like to see pics as well of different setups people did. It is tight in there.
Old 08-14-2009, 05:33 PM
Staging Lane

I want to build this myself....

I have more money than I need. But I don't want to blow it away either (considering the current condition of this economy). Like I said, I don't want expensive parts but I want to make sure everything will work properly and without toooo much hastle. Meaning, I don't want to have to move nor replace a ton of the factor parts from the motor and around the motor just so I can turbo the car.

I just want to know if I can get reverse truck manifolds, weld a t4 flange on each side, then sit a T72 or similiar turbo on top, run the downpipes and exhaust exits. Here is one question, are most of you all cutting through your truck manifold to make room for the external wastegate? Or is there something I'm not thinking about regarding a working external wastegate method?

And besides that, I'll get custom intercooler pipes and a core and fit it near the front of the car (maybe will have to get a different radiator or location for the radiator/intercooler).

I'm also wondering if the reverse manifold TT setup will work fine with an fbody or corvette hood?

Other than everything mentioned in this post, I know I'll need a good tune, injectors, fuel lines, a fuel pump, and possible fuel regulator. What else am I missing for this reverse manifold setup?

I want to make as much power on 6 pounds of boost as the D1-SC procharger systems seem to do (but I am determined to believe I can twin turbo the car myself, using the parts I want, for less).
Old 08-14-2009, 06:46 PM
Launching!

hinson super cars has a single kit thats semi affordable

http://www.hinsonsupercars.com/p-44-...turbo-kit.aspx

id get the hot parts and piece some other parts here and ther could be done for close to 5k total
Old 08-14-2009, 06:55 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm going from STS TT to Hinson Single T76 Turbo very soon I'll be using my A2A Intercooler and everything else from my old build.

I'm shooting for 650-700rwhp on pump gas 13-15psi Built 346ci H/C and close to
800rwhp 17+psi.

Nicd on here made 810rwhp 800rwtq with Built 347ci H/C T76 16psi on mix fuel 109 + 91
Old 08-14-2009, 07:22 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

check this out

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-c...-45-000-a.html

I know you want to build one yourself....the $$ will add up real quick to get a reliable well built setup....You cant build this for the asking price ......
Old 08-14-2009, 08:41 PM
Launching!

Man, obviously you also have no idea what you're talking about either... Read what I wrote, and if it still does not make sense to you then **** off.

If you're asking a question about "How much boost..." then you OBVIOUSLY do NOT understand how FI works... Boost is pressure, or a measure of restriction... FLOW is what makes power, POWER is what breaks parts... BOOST readings are not an indicator of when your **** will break... I could go on to lecture more, but it's not worth my time... The PROPER way to ask the question he was asking is: How much POWER will the stock engine take...

My advice: Save yourself a **** ton of personal grief, wasted money, car downtime, and buy a pre engineered/built kit, install it and take it somewhere reputable to have it tuned... Or dont listen to me and do what you want and have fun not driving your car. FI is NOT easy... I am an experienced mechanic, mechanical engineer with a minor in physics, and a very experienced fabricator and I would not tackle a job like this in a vehicle as tight as a vette.

Im not trying to be a dick here, Im trying to save you money and heartache...

Originally Posted by pwrtrip75
^Idiot of the week response. He didnt ask where to take it. You need to realize some people have skills other than writing checks. Not everyone has bottomless pockets and automotive skills limited to pushing the gas pedal and putting gas in the car.

My 99 C5 has 160k on it and when something does happen to it I'll be building a turbo setup for it. I'd like to see pics as well of different setups people did. It is tight in there.
Old 08-14-2009, 08:54 PM
TECH Regular

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

Is a centrifugal out of the question?
Old 08-14-2009, 09:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Pro turbo kit, stock pistons, rods, rings, afr heads, trak cam, fast90, 11.5psi, 12 degrees of timing...I think the setup speaks for itself. Being at 11 psi, I picked up over 330rwhp. 67mm turbos from precision, journal bearing. If your going to try and use a truck manifold setup, I say forget about that, and consider the C6 manifolds instead. That'll work better but,instead of using it's two bolt flange setup, take the manifolds to a good metal shop, and have them weld V band flanges on the end of them,. to also help with future removal/installation.

It is possible, I almost did that setup with the c6 manifolds, but I came across this kit, and very happy that I did. It isn't a kit for everyone but, neither is horsepower. Things have to be changed on the car for a kit like this,...be prepared for that. Also consider a big single as well. A well thought out single,...could go well in these cars too. IIf I didn't go with my PTK kit,....I would then go with a big custom single,....or if I didn't know a fabricator,...I would buy a TTiX kit.

Don't forget the cost of a fuel system. You need to have a system that'll support 900hp. Also,...heat,... you need to buy a GREAT intercooler. Coat or wrap everything.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Thinking of turbo C5 ideas. Please chime in.