Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Negatives of restricting blower inlet vs. changing pulley to get less boost

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2009, 09:45 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Restricting the inlet puts less strain on the blower and increases the under the curve boost. All my testing showed no change in temperature.

Kurt
Old 08-16-2009, 10:16 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 427
and increases the under the curve boost. All my testing showed no change in temperature.

Kurt
I've tried, maybe they'll listen to another person that's also actually done this, rather than assuming what they "think" would happen... Restricting is the way to go... promise...
Old 08-17-2009, 07:02 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Restricting the inlet will not increase the temperature over non-restricted. However, the IAT will be much higher than it should be. For instance, if it's pullied to make 20 psi (say 250 deg discharge), then you restrict the inlet to get 15 psi, the IAT drops slightly to about 240. Pulley it down to 15 psi and the IAT would drop to 200. It's physics and this can not be disputed.

At work, we have some air compressors that pull from atmosphere and discharge at 8 psi at roughly the same flow rate as an 800 hp motor would need. They are very similar in flow and hp to a large supercharger. However, the discharge temps are in excess of 350 deg F because we restrict the inlets to manipulate flow rate.
Old 08-17-2009, 08:15 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by 427
Restricting the inlet puts less strain on the blower and increases the under the curve boost. All my testing showed no change in temperature.

Kurt
Originally Posted by Mr.Big
I've tried, maybe they'll listen to another person that's also actually done this, rather than assuming what they "think" would happen... Restricting is the way to go... promise...
Great info guys, makes me a little more comfortable in my choice. How do you guys go about restricting? Is there something actually made to put on the inlet?

Originally Posted by engineermike
Restricting the inlet will not increase the temperature over non-restricted. However, the IAT will be much higher than it should be. For instance, if it's pullied to make 20 psi (say 250 deg discharge), then you restrict the inlet to get 15 psi, the IAT drops slightly to about 240. Pulley it down to 15 psi and the IAT would drop to 200. It's physics and this can not be disputed.

At work, we have some air compressors that pull from atmosphere and discharge at 8 psi at roughly the same flow rate as an 800 hp motor would need. They are very similar in flow and hp to a large supercharger. However, the discharge temps are in excess of 350 deg F because we restrict the inlets to manipulate flow rate.
That's exactly how I understand it which is fine. My IATs are fine right now, so by restricting it, I'll have a little higher IATs @ 20psi than if I pullied down to 20psi but yet they won't be any higher than they are now with the 25psi, so they will still be fine.
Old 08-17-2009, 09:42 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by rufretic
Great info guys, makes me a little more comfortable in my choice. How do you guys go about restricting? Is there something actually made to put on the inlet?
here's one way... this is the intake pipe (filter to head unit)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nAG1enBPwso

Quick Reply: Negatives of restricting blower inlet vs. changing pulley to get less boost