Old 08-21-2009, 04:23 PM
7 Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Any more pics of the motor?
Old 08-21-2009, 04:25 PM
7 Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by BlwnTA
Wow...just caught up to this thread Brian...hang tough.

Sounds like your off suicide watch at least and on the road to recovery, stay with it...we need guys like you out pushing the LS envelop with the rest of us broke idiots, lol.

Mark
Old 08-22-2009, 09:10 PM
Outlaw 10.5 Director

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 427
I would like to see somebody change the front cam signal over to a magnet/hall effect to see if this helps the problem, but it is just an educated guess that may not work.

Kurt
Hall effect did not help. ATI made a custom shell for this.

We spent a year fighting this stuff, next setup has a jesel belt drive and distributor.

The only way we "fixed" it was to put 3.40 gears and shift the thing at 7800 in first gear; turn the cam sync off and let it go out the back door.

Good luck Brian and take your time to get the right parts. No need to try and reinvent the wheel on this one. It is a savings in the long run to wait a little longer and get the right parts.

Tom

Tom
Old 08-23-2009, 08:33 AM
TECH Senior Member

after reviewing all the logs and trying to determine the specific conditions when the problem happens, we may have found the root cause...and it might not be BS3 or COP related. my ECU is also back at BS3 to determine what made it shutdown...

Hope to know more by the end of the week
Old 08-23-2009, 01:53 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Cool keep us in the loop, I will let you know how this setup of ours does soon enough. Should hit the engine dyno sooner then later.
Old 08-23-2009, 10:41 PM
6 Second Club Moderator

Originally Posted by FSTR-THANU

We spent a year fighting this stuff, next setup has a jesel belt drive and distributor.

The only way we "fixed" it was to put 3.40 gears and shift the thing at 7800 in first gear; turn the cam sync off and let it go out the back door.

Good luck Brian and take your time to get the right parts. No need to try and reinvent the wheel on this one. It is a savings in the long run to wait a little longer and get the right parts.

Tom

Tom

I've had my cam sync off for a long time. It was acting up on the dyno when we first put the car together, we've never turned it back on. I only rev the car to 7500, 3.23 gears?
Old 08-24-2009, 05:47 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The sensor I would like switched is the cam sensor, not the crank. I will be trying a few things in the future as I don't believe the box is the problem, but rather the input signals. I have never seen this problem with the LS1 type cam sensor, and I ran mine 1700hp on the dyno without issue. The fact that it ran 205mph points to 1900hp in the car, all without issue at over 9100rpm. Mike Brown had no problem early this year and then something went haywire and the misfire started. He did have contact between the #8 piston and the trigger wheel that surely aggravated the problem, but I don't think it was the main problem. I hate not knowing why something like this happens and will continue to work on the solution.
After talking with Brian (op), it seems his problem is unrelated.

Kurt
Originally Posted by FSTR-THANU

Tom

Tom
Old 08-24-2009, 05:54 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

So is this 24X crank with a 1X cam? That is what I suspect will cure all the signal issues, but it will be great to see that proved out!

Kurt
Originally Posted by hellbents10
Kurt we are currently doing one with a MSD hall effect cam senor on the Jesel belt drive, should have results in about a month.

Old 08-24-2009, 07:16 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yes Kurt, hope it all works well.
Old 08-27-2009, 06:19 AM
TECH Senior Member

fuel injectors are definately a problem...not 100% sure if they are the source of backfires though...

There is a 20lb/hr variance in the injectors...thats almost the size of a stock fuel injector

The holes that had the highest flowing injectors may have been so rich the plugs could only intermittantly fire the mixture
Old 08-27-2009, 09:47 AM
Coal Mining Director

Originally Posted by Fireball
fuel injectors are definately a problem...not 100% sure if they are the source of backfires though...

There is a 20lb/hr variance in the injectors...thats almost the size of a stock fuel injector

The holes that had the highest flowing injectors may have been so rich the plugs could only intermittantly fire the mixture
What size injectors are you using?
Old 08-27-2009, 10:59 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by onfire
What size injectors are you using?
160s...flow ranged from 150 to 170
Old 08-27-2009, 12:18 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Fireball

Thats a huge variance and I'd say backfires are certainly possible. Do you have EGT's set in every port? My friends car had a similar issue with Moran injectors and one cylinder running 500 deg cooler than the rest..
Old 08-27-2009, 02:49 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by DanZ28
Thats a huge variance and I'd say backfires are certainly possible. Do you have EGT's set in every port? My friends car had a similar issue with Moran injectors and one cylinder running 500 deg cooler than the rest..
I don't have EGTs...hence making the hunt for the problem that much harder

Quick Reply: Done for the season