Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

oil coolers revisited (water to oil coolers)

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2009, 12:03 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do you have a 3/4" ID (-12) oil takeoff and return at the motor? If not there's no real need to go that big, and even then it is overkill. You want a nice flow with smooth, larger radius bends. What coolers are you running and what fittings do they take?

Everything gets bigger and harder to package and more $$$ if you start with a -12 and no real payoff.

Jim
Old 09-05-2009, 08:58 PM
9 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by VINCE
Bro you do not want your oil temps to be 185F all the time. You will end up with engine problems fast. Oil temps should hit 220F at some point. Where you live it is not un-normal to see oil temps of 230 to 240F cruising in a twin turbo Vette. Guys with completely stock motors that road race see oil temps in the 280's.

Please let the peeps that read this know what your ambient temps are and what you are seeing as far as oil temps during cruising, getting on it a little and how fast your temps recover back to cruising.

Without that information you will only get guesses.
i have to question this.....i was driving a c6 zo6 a few weeks back. driving around town with the ac on and a few short romps the oil never crested 175 degrees. this was prob 20-25 miles. in less then half that distance my car will reach 220-230 without getting on it. so if gm designed a car to run that cool why would they do so if its bad for the motor? another example was a c5 zo6 with a procharger/ cam..same circumstances...never crested 195 degrees. and that was pushing it. not arguing but i would like some more imfo as it seems gm disagrees just by design alone.
Old 09-05-2009, 10:38 PM
Shorty Director

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

When I had my 2001 F-body my oil temps reached 220F plus post racing. When my current C5 was stock my coolant temps were around 180 to 190F cruising and my oil temps were always 30 degree's higher post driving in the summer for 30 minutes or more. When I speak to all my Vette friends they see the same temps. I just called two of my C6Z friends and they both report seeing higher than 200F oil temps during city and highway driving. The original poster lives in a place that is VERY hot and he plans to race his car. I am posting threads from autocrossing and road racing due to running turbos will get your oil just as hot once you get on it.... I have spoken to many reputable GM engine builders, tuners, etc., on this topic. They all agree the oil temps needs to reach boiling point for water to help remove moisture out of the oil and that temp needs to be over 200F per them. Some have seen blowby from oil not reaching the evap temps. I was told the majority of piston and ring manufacturers base clearances and tolerances around temps 200 degrees for oil. If this is in fact the case you have to consider possible engine problems could arise from prolonged low oil temps. I will never claim to know what I am talking about, but I ask a ton of questions to the point I am annoying. Just ask anyone that knows me.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/auto...mperature.html

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/auto...sistently.html

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/auto...-oil-temp.html

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/auto...-oil-temp.html

A lot of good information in this thread..

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-f...r-install.html

Originally Posted by ls2 bait
i have to question this.....i was driving a c6 zo6 a few weeks back. driving around town with the ac on and a few short romps the oil never crested 175 degrees. this was prob 20-25 miles. in less then half that distance my car will reach 220-230 without getting on it. so if gm designed a car to run that cool why would they do so if its bad for the motor? another example was a c5 zo6 with a procharger/ cam..same circumstances...never crested 195 degrees. and that was pushing it. not arguing but i would like some more imfo as it seems gm disagrees just by design alone.
Old 09-07-2009, 08:05 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

bro you;re right we reached above 200degrees in an otherwise stock c6z06 today on the highway with a little spirited driving, we almost hit 200+ in an instant, however the car was kinda all over the place, I suggested he check the tire balance, and install some plastic air diffusers that sit in the front lower end of the car (from factory), and do the alignment all over again, fix tire pressure and it should be smoother, I had a feeling we were gonna take off.

again, I dont mind seeing 200 either, but I was mostly concerned with the fact that nothing seemed to want to drop the temps after it increases, with the current changes i adopted it seems t have solved the issue to an extent, and the next time I re-do the cooler pipings I should see an even better improvement in controlling temps.
Old 09-07-2009, 08:55 PM
9 Second Club

i really dont know how you guys are seeing these temps. drove the car again (the c6zo6) and 180 was it. 45 min drive. a/c on. then drove my car for 20 min and it was at 220. i even made the switch to synthetic yest to try it out...no change except it does recover a bit faster.
Old 09-07-2009, 10:15 PM
TECH Resident

i really dont know how you guys are seeing these temps. drove the car again (the c6zo6) and 180 was it. 45 min drive. a/c on. then drove my car for 20 min and it was at 220. i even made the switch to synthetic yest to try it out...no change except it does recover a bit faster.
can you tell us more about your car, and wether it has an oil cooler, big-small, placement, oil viscosity and more. I might be able to suggest something since im not completely done yet with this.
Old 09-08-2009, 09:11 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by ayousef
can you tell us more about your car, and wether it has an oil cooler, big-small, placement, oil viscosity and more. I might be able to suggest something since im not completely done yet with this.
my car is the 99 camaro in my sig. no oil cooler. valvoline vr1 20-50 (its hot as ***** in florida and i was dropping below 40psi with the 30 weight) water temps stay very low when driving...175-185 with the ac on. in heavy traffic they can get to the 190's but recover very quickly.
Old 09-08-2009, 08:36 PM
TECH Resident

my car is the 99 camaro in my sig. no oil cooler. valvoline vr1 20-50 (its hot as ***** in florida and i was dropping below 40psi with the 30 weight) water temps stay very low when driving...175-185 with the ac on. in heavy traffic they can get to the 190's but recover very quickly.
The z06 on the other hand comes with an oil cooler from the factory, which is something you should take into consider, and much lighter oil.

If you're getting worried, look up a good oil cooler on summit, they got a huge collection of those, install it and shift to lower viscosity oil and ur done.

Quick Reply: oil coolers revisited (water to oil coolers)