Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Help! Did I get the wrong belt?

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2009, 01:54 PM
TWS
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Help! Did I get the wrong belt?

I'm trying to finish the upgrade to the 8 rib pulley system (from 6 rib ) on my Procharger D1SC installed in my '02 Z28. The Procharger kit was first installed a long time ago before 8 rib kits were available and I'm trying to end the belt slip prevalent with the original 6 rib setup.

However, I went to install the belt that Procharger provided, and it seems to be too short! I can't get that **** on there. Yes, I have the idler pulley loose and pushed all the way to the top of its slot in the J bracket. I even have the head unit to J-bracket bolts loose to allow for some play.

My 8 rib crank pulley is their standard 7.65" and my head unit pulley is 4.50" (which is what they told me I needed to maintain 8 psi). The belt that Procharger sent is a Gates KO80408 and I suspect that it is too short. This pulley combo is pretty big, and the belt might be for setups running more boost with a smaller head unit pulley? Either that, or I am having a major brain cramp. I struggled to get the belt on using a couple different techniques and that sucker just seems too short.

I am using the bolt holes on the headunit to line up with the holes on the J-bracket that were used when I had the 6 rib pullies. There are a couple extra holes on the head unit, but doesn't seem they would work. The headunit seems nice and centered in the J-bracket using the same holes I used with the 6 rib pulley system.

Any one else running my pulley combo, please chime in with the size belt you are using.
Old 09-05-2009, 02:45 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That is the right belt, sometimes they are a PITA. Make sure that when you slide it on to the blower, or try to, that it didn't get unseated from the crank, that happens a lot and will make the belt seem way too short.
Old 09-05-2009, 04:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I have the 4.5" and that belt. It is a bitch to get it on. I take off the top tensioner, place it around the blower and crank and put the tensioner back on. Let me know how much boost you see with that pulley...I seem to only be getting around 4 @ 5900 rpm.
Old 09-05-2009, 04:46 PM
TWS
10 Second Club

Thanks guys. I'll go back out to the shop and try again.

Originally Posted by stevied916
Let me know how much boost you see with that pulley...I seem to only be getting around 4 @ 5900 rpm.
Holy cow, that better not happen to me or I'll be pissed. As I was ordering the 8 rib kit, I clearly said several times that I wanted to stay at the 8 psi I am at with my 6 rib setup. However, boost also depends on our other mods, etc. and our cars are probably not otherwise identical. I was planning on carefully checking boost level once I get the car back running. In particular, I wanted to be sure I am not producing more than 8 psi, as I have a stock motor. However, if it's less I'll be really disappointed. This project is supposed to be an upgrade for me, not a downgrade.
Old 09-05-2009, 05:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I have long tubes, ported tb, fmic, ls6 intake and custom blower intake. 4 psi is on my map though. I'm going to hook up a manual boost gauge tomorrow to be sure that my map is correct.
Old 09-05-2009, 06:33 PM
TWS
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by stevied916
It is a bitch to get it on. I take off the top tensioner, place it around the blower and crank and put the tensioner back on.
I don't see how you did that. If I take off the top serpentine belt tensioner (the one right above the Procharger idler pulley) I can see how its removal might give the Procharger idler pulley a little more room to move up and thus loosen the belt a tad more because the Procharger idler is contacting the serpentine tensioner when I push it all the way up. However, if I take off that tensioner pulley, how the hell would I get it back on? The aluminum spacer from Procharger is machined to go exactly from the cup on the tensioner pulley to the J-backet. In fact, I don't think I could get it even off with the J-bracket still mounted by the other two bolts because that aluminum spacer fits down in the cup on the tensioner pulley and is hard up against the J-bracket (as it is supposed to be).

I just tried to bare hand muscle the blower belt on and it was a no-go. Don't dare use a prybar due to the danger of marring the pullies.

I see what you are getting at, because even though I have the Procharger idler pulley completely loose, it is still taking up some of the belt and not giving me quite the full length to work with. I just don't see how I can do anything about it.

If that's the right belt, then there must be some way to get it on... I'm just not bright enough to figure it out.

If it was a weekday, I'd call Bob@EPP. I'm sure he does this mod for customers a lot. There must be a trick I am missing.
Old 09-05-2009, 06:40 PM
10 Second Club

Dumb question, but is the blower clocked right (on the bracket, not the internal clocking)? I have clocked it wrong once and it definitely didn't go on. Also, I usually wrap the belt on the blower pulley with the blower unbolted and slide it up to where it would mount then get the bolts threaded.

I made 8-9psi on that pulley with a 9.5:1 396ci so you should get the boost you're looking for.
Old 09-05-2009, 10:03 PM
TWS
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by 'Trust'
Also, I usually wrap the belt on the blower pulley with the blower unbolted and slide it up to where it would mount then get the bolts threaded.
Thanks Reza, I'll try that. I have the head unit already bolted to the J-bracket. I'll unbolt it and try to juggle it the way you described.

Yes, I believe the headunit is clocked correctly to the bracket. I know for sure I am using the same bolt holes that I was using previously, plus the headunit is centered in the crook of the J properly. Also, I can't rotate it counterclockwise one bolt hole distance in the J-bracket, because then the blower pulley would block the bolt hole. I am 95% sure using the same 5 bolt holes that I was using with the 6 rib setup is the correct way to go.
Old 09-06-2009, 12:31 AM
TWS
10 Second Club

Update: got that bad boy on there!

I think my fingers have permanent belt rib indentations, but the damn belt is on. Now, I have to get the headunit to j-bracket bolts installed and it's a challenge because the headunit is under bind and leaning towards the crank because the belt is so damn tight. The holes on the J-bracket are not lining up with the head unit and I have to push on the head unit with one hand to try and line it up and attempt to start the bolts with the other. Tried it and they wanted to cross thread so I'm calling it a night.
Old 09-06-2009, 02:33 AM
10 Second Club

Careful, I cross threaded one before and tapping it again was nerve-racking. Did you check the crank and make sure it isn't miss seated?
Old 09-06-2009, 10:59 AM
TWS
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by 'Trust'
Careful, I cross threaded one before and tapping it again was nerve-racking. Did you check the crank and make sure it isn't miss seated?
That's why I called it a night. Didn't want to get too frustrated and just force the bolts in.

As far as the crank, everything seems fine.

The only remaining problem I have is that because the belt is so tight, the headunit is under a little bit of torque already, causing the bolt holes between the head unit and J-bracket to be ever so slightly misaligned.
Old 09-06-2009, 02:01 PM
10 Second Club

Honestly man, if it's doing that and it's all aligned belt wise, I wouldn't risk trying to thread it. They are aluminum threads and they'll cross easily. Look into getting a KO80415 belt perhaps. Now I'm thinking about it more, I may have had the same problem and had to go bigger even though the one that ProCharger suggested was the KO80408.

Here is EPP's belt Matrix and although the p/n's are different if you look at the blower pulley DP-450I-08D, they are showing you should go with a 415 series belt too.

http://www.exoticperformanceplus.com...html?item=1041

Sorry, it just took me this long to realize that I had the same problem, that may have been how I actually cross threaded the blower, it was just so long ago.
Old 09-06-2009, 02:51 PM
TWS
10 Second Club

Can't agree with you more. Yesterday during my fight with this thing, I actually called O'Reilly's and ordered a KO80415. They didn't have one on the shelf, nor did any O'Reilly's in Austin. It has to come from a warehouse in Dallas, but should be here Wednesday.

I figured Procharger's choice of the KO80408 had to be a little aggressive as the damn thing is supertight even with the idler pulley completely loose. I am guessing the the KO80415 will slide right on, but snug up properly when I tighten the jack screw and make the idler pulley take up any slack. The guy at O'Reilly couldn't tell me exactly how long the KO80415 is, but it is worth a try and might actually work great.

Understand about how it is hard to remember. I've had people run into problems on their cars and I'll say, yeah, I had that problem a few years ago... I *think* I fixed it with ____, but can't remember for sure.

Last edited by TWS; 09-06-2009 at 03:03 PM.
Old 09-06-2009, 03:02 PM
TWS
10 Second Club

Reza, that's probably how you got yours to work.

Per the link you posted:
Crank pulley Head unit pulley Belt
DC017A-008 DP450I-08D DB415I-008

EPP uses the KO80408 with the 4.25" blower pulley, but with the 4.50" they advise using the KO80415.

I'm going to just pause until the KO80415 belt arrives.

I have some wrenching to do on my track car today anyway.
Old 09-06-2009, 05:02 PM
10 Second Club

Yea, I believe the last part of the belt P/N is length in inches, i.e. 40.8" for the K080408, and 41.5" for the K080415. Good to see you have a new belt coming, that should be your fix!
Old 09-06-2009, 09:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I just looked at mine....it's the 41.5" belt
Old 09-07-2009, 12:49 AM
TWS
10 Second Club

Thanks again guys.

I was sure you guys are correct, but being sick of all the BS with Procharger, I went to the Gates catalog on-line and confirmed that yes the 408 means effective length of 40.79" and the 415 belt is effective length 41.5".

http://www.gatespowerpro.com/Comerge...TOKEN=51303512

Based on the page from EPP's website, seems like EPP knows something that Procharger doesn't... OR... Procharger just sent me the wrong freakin belt. Either way, I wasted a couple hours last night fighting and cussing with a too-short belt.

That, plus the fact that Procharger didn't send bolts long enough for cars keeping A/C has frankly gotten me a little pissed at Procharger. The bolts I needed aren't anything you can just run out and get at Home Depot or even a chain auto parts store. I had to take an hour off work and drive to a specialty store that is only open 8-5 Monday-Friday. Procharger is still a great company, but I'm not real happy with them right this minute.

Once I get this kit finally 100% installed, I'll be happy and their sins will be forgiven if my previous belt slip is cured and I'm at the boost level I want to be.
Old 09-07-2009, 09:23 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the easiest way to put the belt on there is to get it on the blower pulley, and as much as you can on the crank pulley then get a wrench and turn the crank pulley, this will just walk the belt onto the pulley. blower belts are a real pain.
Old 09-14-2009, 09:11 AM
TWS
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by 02NBMFormula
the easiest way to put the belt on there is to get it on the blower pulley, and as much as you can on the crank pulley then get a wrench and turn the crank pulley, this will just walk the belt onto the pulley. blower belts are a real pain.
Yep! That's what I did.

The project is done and I've run the car on the jackstands to observe the belts and everything looks fine. No test drive yet as it has been raining a lot here.
Old 09-14-2009, 09:43 AM
10 Second Club

How do you like the new whine?

Quick Reply: Help! Did I get the wrong belt?