Help! Did I get the wrong belt?

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2009, 08:31 AM
TWS
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 'Trust'
How do you like the new whine?
Wish I could go out and do some "research" on how the new pullies function.

Weather has been crappy here, plus the car doesn't have current tags and inspection. I'll get her out on the road again soon. Finally doing the 8 rib upgrade will give me the itch to bring her back out.

Trying to hurry up and finish a project on my track car so that I can get in some good racing now that temps have finally come down off the long stretch of 100+ days we've had in central TX.

Reza, thanks again for your helpful input. Since Procharger is only open 9-6 weekdays, it's good to have "tech support" on here.
Old 10-18-2009, 12:07 PM
TWS
10 Second Club

Finally did some "road testing" last night. There was a delay as the car needed new registration and inspection, etc. Then I had to cruise around calmly and burn off some old gas that was in the tank. blah blah.

Took the car out to a nice stretch of highway and laid into it with a buddy watching my boost gauge so that I could concentrate on keeping the car straight and rowing the gears. The result: 10 psi at 6000 rpm This is with Procharger's 4.50" blower pulley.

I had put 3 fresh gallons of Shell 93 and 1 gallon of MS109 in the tank and we did not hear any pinging. A data logger would have been better but didn't have one handy. The car pulled like a freakin animal and we were impressed with how it felt. However, I had been running 8 psi with the old 6 rib setup and I'm a bit concerned about 10 psi on the completely stock LS1. Max timing in my PCM tune is 17.8*. I may have to mix the fuel from here on out anytime I think I'll be doing some spirited driving.

Last edited by TWS; 10-18-2009 at 12:14 PM.
Old 10-18-2009, 01:56 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Mine made the same boost on a 4.5" pulley, looks like you have a good blower .
Old 10-18-2009, 09:26 PM
TWS
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by 'Trust'
Mine made the same boost on a 4.5" pulley, looks like you have a good blower .
You told me yours made 8-9 psi with that pulley combo!

Not to sound like a *****, but I was hoping to keep boost very close to the 8 psi that the previous pullies delivered. I like the fact that it definitely feels like it is making more power, but I also like my pistons with no holes in the them and my head gaskets in one piece. The goal of the 8 rib conversion was just to eliminate belt slip.

There's no way to really know the exact boost in advance, but both Procharger and EPP thought I'd end up with 8 psi again. Well, I got a little bonus.

Ah, it pulls freakin hard now. I'll just resign myself to picking up some MS109 here and there and keeping a blend in the tank. Hope that will allow the stock motor to survive for a long time. The whole car only has 10,800 miles.
Old 10-18-2009, 10:16 PM
TECH Regular

Just get it back on the dyno already and update that tune, you saw what happened to mine without re-fixing the tune when you helped me pull the head last year. I'd hate to have a repeat of that with Squeeky.

With what you were pushing before you should easily hit 500 on 10 pounds.
Old 10-19-2009, 09:48 AM
TWS
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Aster
Just get it back on the dyno already and update that tune, you saw what happened to mine without re-fixing the tune when you helped me pull the head last year. I'd hate to have a repeat of that with Squeeky.

With what you were pushing before you should easily hit 500 on 10 pounds.
Well said. Yes, I have concluded that it needs to go back on the dyno. Minimum of some data logging before any more WOT runs.

The "butt dyno" can be misleading, but Saturday night the car sure felt like it was putting down 500+ RWHP. It impressed Sparkz and he has certainly been around and is a little jaded like the rest of us.
Old 05-07-2010, 11:14 AM
TWS
10 Second Club

Thought I'd throw an update on here.

Went to tune the car (couple months ago) and ran out of injector at 5300 RPM. Also pegged the MAF. Still put down 542 RWHP. Not too shabby running out of injector.

Pulled off the 42# injectors and got some Siemens Deka 60# and put them on. Pulled off the stock MAF (I know, laugh it up) and installed an 85mm ZO6 MAF.

We loaded the injector tables for the new Siemens units and started tuning but then fuel pressure started dropping. Pump is not up to the rest of the setup now that we "unclogged" the flow at the injector. We aborted the dyno session since FP was falling dangerously low.

New fuel pump is here. Work has been off the hook lately, but hope to find time for the install soon.

Quick Reply: Help! Did I get the wrong belt?