Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

LS1 studs

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2009, 08:55 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

just a note, i have GM MLS gaskets on my car.. have ran between 10 and 14 psi and never had a problem
Old 09-11-2009, 12:26 PM
9 Second Club

Received 178 Likes on 154 Posts

And many many people have used them at much higher boost levels, and very high power with no problems either.

Some people just want to blame other stuff, for their own failures.
Old 09-11-2009, 02:00 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What compression ratio were you running at 15psi? Was it the stock ~10.5:1 or were you running a dished piston or larger chamber?

Could cylinder pressure be the source of your failure at 15psi, or is it a different factor?

What kind of failure did you have? Could it have been a bad tune or a defective block? (not a block with an inherent design defect/limitation)

Originally Posted by jobberone
I clearly mentioned LS1 blocks and 15psi which was my application. Which clearly didn't hold up.
Old 09-11-2009, 05:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Instead of using a Cometic gasket they used an ordinary GM MLS gasket which I think caused more problems than the sleeve.

I want to get into the 20s. An LS2 should be ok but I think I'll go with either a LSX iron block or an aftermarket aluminum block probably a Warhawk block. I can go into the 30s with the iron block for short periods.

I'm torn between that and just putting the car back together and selling it to get a C6 platform probably Z06.

BTW, several dealers I've talked to cannot sell either a LS2 or LS3 block by itself.

Anyone got a dealer who knows how to procure a LS2 block?
IF you have the money go Warhawk has alot of plus over the ls2 block.
Old 09-13-2009, 08:48 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by FastKat
What compression ratio were you running at 15psi? Was it the stock ~10.5:1 or were you running a dished piston or larger chamber?

Could cylinder pressure be the source of your failure at 15psi, or is it a different factor?

What kind of failure did you have? Could it have been a bad tune or a defective block? (not a block with an inherent design defect/limitation)
I'm running a low compression ratio with custom turbo pistons. I believe the gasket failed as three of four cylinders on that side where 'cleaned' by steam. There was no damage to the pistons or rings but one cylinder sleeve failed then eventually the block failed. The gaskets used were ordinary GM MLS gaskets. A Cometic gasket could have failed, too, but I'd have never put plain MLS gaskets on the car. Too much boost even at the 10-15 the car saw.

The leak went on for some time just wasn't noticeable to me until it started breaking down on the very top. We thought it was plugs and wires. The fuel started fluxuating at the top (of WOT). Then it let go. Pulled the head and busted sleeve and block.

Many years ago I raced Porsches when turbos were coming in again to racing and production cars (80s). We ran thru a lot of cracked rings and pistons in those days despite the leaded gas with very high octane numbers. Just a boost gauge wasn't much help. Point being with so much power it's hard to tell when you're losing a little power until its obviously something wrong or track times tell you something's up. You'd take the engine down and couldn't believe what you'd find and the car still running fairly strong.
Old 09-13-2009, 08:54 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by sujomatt
just a note, i have GM MLS gaskets on my car.. have ran between 10 and 14 psi and never had a problem
You can get away with a lot until it fails and nothing lasts forever. People run stock internals yada. But I'd never put stock gaskets on my application by choice. Chevy is using some Cometic gaskets like the LS7 one so just because its stock doesn't mean it won't work.

Sooner or later if you're boosting enough something is going to let go. If you have a LS1 then at near two bar you're going to eventually lift your heads. Probably.
Old 09-13-2009, 05:37 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So you blew a hole in the sleve... or it cracked? or scored? or moved in the block? When the block failed, was that related to the failed sleve, or was it a bearing? did the head studs pull the threads out of the aluminum block? How did the block fail?

Any pics? I always love to see FI carnage!

It sounds to me like you have an outlier... maybe you got a bad block or had some other issue. The overwhelming majority of people that take the aluminum block to and past your power level have no issues with the block itself, provided no other extraneous issues.

I'm running a low compression ratio with custom turbo pistons. I believe the gasket failed as three of four cylinders on that side where 'cleaned' by steam. There was no damage to the pistons or rings but one cylinder sleeve failed then eventually the block failed. The gaskets used were ordinary GM MLS gaskets. A Cometic gasket could have failed, too, but I'd have never put plain MLS gaskets on the car. Too much boost even at the 10-15 the car saw.

The leak went on for some time just wasn't noticeable to me until it started breaking down on the very top. We thought it was plugs and wires. The fuel started fluxuating at the top (of WOT). Then it let go. Pulled the head and busted sleeve and block.
Old 09-13-2009, 06:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can still only tighten to 90lbs anyway regardless of what stud size you're running
My L19 studs are currently torqued to 115lbs on my LS2 block . Only reason I had to go that high is because I learned that the bolts need to stretch to actualy do their job. If I had the regular ARP studs I would of only went to 95lbs.
Old 09-13-2009, 07:00 PM
12 Second Club

You don't read real well do you?

You can have the last say. I'll just go with what the top builders are telling me. I'm won't get much more than BS from you that's for sure.
listen to Shawn @ VA speed...he knows wtf hes talking about and if you don't think so just look at the motors that are being put together at his shop, Phil's LSX powered mustang w/ a single is a testament to that, as well as Brian's car...ls2 block holding big power on 4 bolt heads.

you just have your head so far shoved up your *** that you think all the advice you have already been given is gospel...then why ask the questions if you have it all figured out?

Chad
Old 09-14-2009, 12:16 PM
9 Second Club

Received 178 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by Nimitz87
listen to Shawn @ VA speed...he knows wtf hes talking about and if you don't think so just look at the motors that are being put together at his shop, Phil's LSX powered mustang w/ a single is a testament to that, as well as Brian's car...ls2 block holding big power on 4 bolt heads.

you just have your head so far shoved up your *** that you think all the advice you have already been given is gospel...then why ask the questions if you have it all figured out?

Chad
That saved me saying it lol

Quick Reply: LS1 studs