Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Ok, supercharger or turbo... lets here what you like more on the LS1

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2009 | 05:59 PM
Launching!

what makes me say under 12psi SC welllllllllllllllllll

having had a doug levin supercharged gts and on the same gts goin to turbo i didnt notice a justifiable difference on pump gas from the turbo set up from the sc (i.e. a couple of thousand dollars)... at 10psi.... it made 710 on the sc 746 with turbo again both about 10psi

yeah people will say what about midrange, and 36rwhp, also the what turbos, blah blah blah but really i couldnt hook on street tire with the turbos and the sc's linear response was a benefit vs the hard boost of the turbo

on the negitive ive seen and heard s/c damage cranks, slip belts, and generally not work as well in high boost cars (belt slip on mine and damaged crank on friends) when we turned the wick up on one of our turbo set ups the viper made over 1000rwhp on a mustang dyno on low boost (10 psi spring) with a stroker and a 106mm could ANY street tire hook that car above 15psi??? HELL NO

and imho a sc couldnt produce that power at the same psi on the 533 stroker.. this brings up the point of the turbos efficency... its advantage becomes more apparent the larger the engine and bigger the turbo and the more you push them

then the fact is the turbo doesnt strain the motor in the same way a SC does... but a SC's strain is minimal the slower you spin it (5-10psi)

also you factor in the argument boost is restriction and it becomes clear you have to consider CFM and compresor maps and the turbo have clear advantage the larger you go

i KNOW ther are plenty hellifed fast sc cars but imho its easier to go faster with a turbo at full boil and both being maxed out

soooooooooooooo......

thats what i base my assumptions on and if you dont agree....

YOU LIE!!!

Last edited by abbaskhan; 09-11-2009 at 06:09 PM. Reason: you lie
Old 09-11-2009 | 08:02 PM
On The Tree

I like electric superchargers
Old 09-11-2009 | 08:52 PM
10 Second Club

I don't neccessarily agree or disagree, it's your opinion, kinda the same as most on here...fun to read anyway .
Old 09-11-2009 | 10:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by abbaskhan
on the negitive ive seen and heard s/c damage cranks, slip belts, and generally not work as well in high boost cars (belt slip on mine and damaged crank on friends)
How did the S/C "damage the crank"?? Sounds like more of an installation error than a defect in design.

and imho a sc couldnt produce that power at the same psi on the 533 stroker.. this brings up the point of the turbos efficency... its advantage becomes more apparent the larger the engine and bigger the turbo and the more you push them
If you compare a turbo to a roots or centrifugal S/C, the turbo comes out on top in terms of power output and efficiency. But when you look at the new generation of TVS and Twin Screw blowers and the ridiculous amount of low end and midrange power and torque that they can produce, its obvious that they are a great alternative to a turbo. The new Eaton TVS has a volumetric efficiency approaching that of a turbo, with the reliability of an OEM design. The new Corvette ZR1 produces 350ft/lbs of torque at idle, thats impressive.

then the fact is the turbo doesnt strain the motor in the same way a SC does... but a SC's strain is minimal the slower you spin it (5-10psi)
Modern supercharger's don't really add that much parasitic loss the way the older designs did. They are more more efficient, and can produce similar numbers to a turbocharger at comparable boost levels. You're also forgetting about the "strain" of the turbocharger on the motor. Not only does it raise oil temps by significant amounts, but it also acts as a huge exhaust restriction. So basically the turbo blocks the flow of exhaust, which increases backpressure and decreases low end power and torque.
Old 09-11-2009 | 11:34 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Wesmanw02
How did the S/C "damage the crank"?? Sounds like more of an installation error than a defect in design.

Crank Pulley can "spin" on the crank...and sometimes even doweled cranks can shear the dowel and you're in trouble...

Modern supercharger's don't really add that much parasitic loss the way the older designs did.

While probably true, they still will add considerable parasitic loss where a turbo does not

I think they both have pros and cons... But I've had a supercharged vehicle so now I wanna go turbo..
Old 09-12-2009 | 02:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

#1 reason turbo is better than supercharged:

turbo whine and a blow off valve

and no, the whine from a s/c just isnt as manly
Old 09-12-2009 | 05:13 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 'Trust'
I love my supercharger, I really do, but I have an itch for a big single!
You're putting over 800 to the tire thru an A4 with your Procharger, and you still have an itch? Then I must have a rash!!!
Old 09-12-2009 | 10:48 AM
Restricted User

Once you start cranking up the boost on a blower, you start fighting belt slip issues. Assuming adequate belt wrap, in order to overcome that you either need more tension, or a cog setup. Cog setup is not real streetable. Tension creates a side load on the crank which is bad for bearings.

If you compare a turbo to a roots or centrifugal S/C, the turbo comes out on top in terms of power output and efficiency. But when you look at the new generation of TVS and Twin Screw blowers and the ridiculous amount of low end and midrange power and torque that they can produce, its obvious that they are a great alternative to a turbo. The new Eaton TVS has a volumetric efficiency approaching that of a turbo, with the reliability of an OEM design. The new Corvette ZR1 produces 350ft/lbs of torque at idle, thats impressive.
That additional low end torque without the ability to control it can become a major traction liability. I believe that softer torque curve of the centri is a plus. It's easy to add a little nitrous on a controller down low to correct for the lower psi at lower RPM.

Modern supercharger's don't really add that much parasitic loss the way the older designs did. They are more more efficient, and can produce similar numbers to a turbocharger at comparable boost levels. You're also forgetting about the "strain" of the turbocharger on the motor. Not only does it raise oil temps by significant amounts, but it also acts as a huge exhaust restriction. So basically the turbo blocks the flow of exhaust, which increases backpressure and decreases low end power and torque.
The small amount of exhaust back pressure is actually beneficial to torque. If anything, it hurts up top. With a properly sized exhaust housing, it is not a limitation. Tell you what, see if you can find an LSx powered fbody that has run the 1/4 at 200MPH thru stock truck exhaust manifolds. Any power adders are fair play. The exhaust restriction mentality is flawed as I learned when I made the leap of faith.
Old 09-12-2009 | 01:14 PM
10 Second Club

Why stop at LSX, tell me what owns the outlaw radial class? In the real race world S/C are not at a disadvantage (yet) to turbo/s for most classes and most are now 1/8th mile anyway, IMO...If you lock it down to LSX's only, I don't know of an all out big procharged car...
Old 09-12-2009 | 02:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

zzzzzzoooooooommmmmm pshhhhhh! zoooooooommmmmmmm pshhhhh! turbo ftw!
Old 09-12-2009 | 03:56 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by KILLER-LS1
zzzzzzoooooooommmmmm pshhhhhh! zoooooooommmmmmmm pshhhhh! turbo ftw!
Or zoooom-zoooooooom-zoooooooooooooooooooom pshhh! For us A4 guys... (assuming you are set-up right and not going into OD) LOL In that case you would have another zoom..LOL
Old 09-12-2009 | 04:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

^^^add a fifth zoooooommmmm psssshhhh if ya got a stage 3 converter from Circle D with lock up at WOT
Old 09-13-2009 | 02:26 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by KILLER-LS1
#1 reason turbo is better than supercharged:

turbo whine and a blow off valve

and no, the whine from a s/c just isnt as manly

Who says you don't have the BOV sound with a supercharger?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iN0Ia7ZkbWA

And most anyone would agree, the sound of a twin-screw blower at top rpm is probably the baddest sound you will ever hear coming from any car.
Old 09-20-2009 | 05:02 PM
Banned

turbo
Old 09-20-2009 | 05:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by dueno
Who says you don't have the BOV sound with a supercharger?

And most anyone would agree, the sound of a twin-screw blower at top rpm is probably the baddest sound you will ever hear coming from any car.
I would prefer to hear the sound of a jet rather than the sound of a car whining... I like the sound, but prefer the jet IMO
Old 09-21-2009 | 11:42 AM
10 Second Club

Sounds like a siren, had to keep looking in my rear view mirror to make sure .
Old 09-21-2009 | 05:46 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by RS_SS69

Yes you have to stand the radiator up in a turbo setup but there are plenty of ways around not having to relocate anything or buy a turbo k member and the day a vortech or procharger full setup is $4500 shipped new and can put the numbers down like this then I will buy one untill then I will stay turbo. When you want the blowers to put that out you almost always have to upgrade the head unit which is $2000+ ontop of the $6-8000 you already spent for the original setup!
Really, the only thing I had to relocate was the battery. Still have stock radiator, fans, AC, alternator...

One thing I like about a turbo is how universal the design is. You are not committed to any brand of head unit, and there is a lot of flexibility in design. Fast spool, big power, different brands... it opens up a lot of options. In 30 mins I can swap a turbo to something different.
Old 09-21-2009 | 10:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

Both have there pro's and cons, and you really should experience all forms of forced induction before you go out and spend thousands of dollars but,...hands down,.. a turbo or two.

On a 6 rib-
After countless belt breaks,...belts coming apart,...and finally breaking parts...I had enough with the centrifugal. I will say, when I bought an aftermarket blower race bracket, most of my issues were solved,... then, I was at a point were I needed to upgrade to an 8 rib setup or more,.. I would have had to spend a 1000 bucks or so for a new belt/pulley setup,... and then at the fact of spending that money just for more belt grip and no more power,... I couldn't do it. I ended up removing the blower, which I did love on the car(minus the issues in the beginning) after a night of street raciing. I had soo much tension on the pulley setup, that my front cover idler pulley snapped riht off the front cover snout. That was a night an hour away from home, at like 2am,.... thankfully my boys were near by,... a trailer was borrowed,... we were home by like almost 5. I prefer to watch the sunrise with a female,.. you know what I mean.

I think if I had an 8 rib,... I would have had better luck but,...I wasn't willing to at the time. Very happy that I went with the turbo route. Although my plan was a big single,...I ended up going with an above average turbo kit,... and I love it. It has been a learning curve but,.. the power level and capability is night and day. My power level between the blower and the turbos is like doctor jeckyll and mr.hyde. Night and day.

If not that,... the blower itself,... to drive it, takes more horsepower then you can imagine. Between what,... 90-180 horsepower to twist? So, the old cost horsepower to make horsepower mambo jambo comes into effect. Granted,... a blower can make TONS OF POWER.... the turbo(s).... free power. Drive them all, they are all different, all useable on the street,... any combo can be lethal. Just pick your setup right.....but drive them all. They can all be loud, or they can all be quiet(the turbo COULD be really quiet).

PS. Consider that the fastest accelerating cars on the planet,.. run blowers(top fuel).

Quick Reply: Ok, supercharger or turbo... lets here what you like more on the LS1