Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

truck manifold turbo in 3rd gen with LSX questions...

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2009, 07:13 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default truck manifold turbo in 3rd gen with LSX questions...

ive got a '91 camaro, had a tc-78 on a gen 1 sbc, now i wanna do an LQ4 with the same tc-78, i wanted to do truck manifolds, both because they support quite good hp level and good spark plug access etc...
i know they dont fit my car like they do the 98-02 cars, but can anyone tell me where they dont fit, what they hit etc...
i have not actually tried fitting them, but from looking at pics, the steering box is one of the big obstacles.. if this is the case id be willing to do a rack&pinion kit from bmr or spohn.

my build is gonna be very mild, all i want is about 500-550rwhp and very good street manners and excellent reliability. i intend to daily drive this car weather permitting.
(currently have an a1000, th350 4000 stall, drag wheels, etc..this will be getting changed for twin intank walbros, probably a 4L80E and mild converter, and 17"s.)

i already tried posting this question on thirdgen.org, with no luck..
thank you verrry much!
p.s.-any other info anyone would like to share pertaining to this build would be very apprciated.
-Keith
Old 09-10-2009, 07:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 91blowthru
ive got a '91 camaro, had a tc-78 on a gen 1 sbc, now i wanna do an LQ4 with the same tc-78, i wanted to do truck manifolds, both because they support quite good hp level and good spark plug access etc...
i know they dont fit my car like they do the 98-02 cars, but can anyone tell me where they dont fit, what they hit etc...
i have not actually tried fitting them, but from looking at pics, the steering box is one of the big obstacles.. if this is the case id be willing to do a rack&pinion kit from bmr or spohn.

my build is gonna be very mild, all i want is about 500-550rwhp and very good street manners and excellent reliability. i intend to daily drive this car weather permitting.
(currently have an a1000, th350 4000 stall, drag wheels, etc..this will be getting changed for twin intank walbros, probably a 4L80E and mild converter, and 17"s.)

i already tried posting this question on thirdgen.org, with no luck..
thank you verrry much!
p.s.-any other info anyone would like to share pertaining to this build would be very apprciated.
-Keith
U wont find much info over there relating to ls 3rd gens. i figured it out alredy
:p
Old 09-10-2009, 08:04 PM
Turd Gen Guy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i feel your pain about the truck manifolds. im using them on mine. had to turn them upside down and cut the flange and reweld it. it sucks welding cast tho. but it can be done. im upgrading to a 370 next year some time and plan on using spohns k-member and making my own headers. it sounds like alot but if you have the time and skills it isnt fhat bad. but my truck manifolds hit just reversed on the ps box and the actual side of the passanger engine bay bc of the bow the driver side manifold has.

Last edited by 1nasty86; 09-10-2009 at 08:52 PM.
Old 09-11-2009, 08:06 AM
TECH Regular

I tried fitting truck manifolds. Steering box is in the way, and the flanges barily touch the frame rails. If you notched the rails a bit, and did a R&P swap you could probably get away with using them.
Old 09-11-2009, 08:44 AM
Launching!

thats what i figured...
thank you for the responses
Old 09-11-2009, 02:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 1nasty86
i feel your pain about the truck manifolds. im using them on mine. had to turn them upside down and cut the flange and reweld it. it sucks welding cast tho. but it can be done. im upgrading to a 370 next year some time and plan on using spohns k-member and making my own headers. it sounds like alot but if you have the time and skills it isnt fhat bad. but my truck manifolds hit just reversed on the ps box and the actual side of the passanger engine bay bc of the bow the driver side manifold has.
dam lot of work, there is way to use stock unmodified manifolds, but may not work for everyones setup, on my car i got it mocked and eveything clears. but i did make my own mounts though, so may not apply to the spohn mounts, but should work with tubular kmember
Old 09-11-2009, 09:05 PM
TECH Apprentice

Yea I'm also in the middle of trying to make truck manifold work for my 408 LS1 IROC.
Old 09-12-2009, 06:14 AM
Launching!

NemeSS, do you have pictures? im always looking for new possibilities and ideas...

Grifter757, let me know how you make out, i wont be dropping my motor in for a couple months probably. ive gotta get some head studs, vlave springs and rod bolts and get the wiring mess taken care of first
Old 09-12-2009, 05:23 PM
TECH Apprentice

yea this is going to be a nightmare I think oh well.
Old 09-12-2009, 06:10 PM
Turd Gen Guy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by NemeSS
dam lot of work, there is way to use stock unmodified manifolds, but may not work for everyones setup, on my car i got it mocked and eveything clears. but i did make my own mounts though, so may not apply to the spohn mounts, but should work with tubular kmember
yeah it was either cut them or make me a set and with my hours at work i aint got time to hardly do anything. but im going to make my next set.
Old 09-12-2009, 08:37 PM
TECH Apprentice

Yea i think I'm going to use the Camaro Manifold and then make a log manifold on the other side.
Old 09-12-2009, 09:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by grifter757
Yea i think I'm going to use the Camaro Manifold and then make a log manifold on the other side.
i made this alredy also, but again, it interferes with my alternator setup
so i cant use it. check the pix of it in my profile. log type, t4 flange, stainless,
vband flange crossover.
i designed some accesory parts specifically for 3rd gen ls swaps, got the running prototypes on my car now. but still working some bugs out.
cnc machined, more practical than ls fbody
Old 09-13-2009, 09:28 AM
TECH Apprentice

were are these pics at? If your not going to use it... wanna sell it

Quick Reply: truck manifold turbo in 3rd gen with LSX questions...