Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers
View Poll Results: Best Engine Management System for LSx Platform?
FAST XFI
16.67%
Big Stuff 3
55.56%
Mega Squirt
14.81%
Other
12.96%
Voters: 54. You may not vote on this poll

Which Aftermarket Engine Management System?

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2009, 05:46 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am running the AEM plug and play and love it. It has all the things the other brand offer and is easy to setup and use. The best part is it fits in the stock 99+ pcm housing and you dont have to do anything to the stock harness and all the stock guages still work. I got a deal and paid $800 for it new.
Old 09-23-2009, 07:28 PM
Staging Lane

LOS....

Hey buddy I have the MSII the one that runs the coils.You could go to Jake[PBTH]or you could call him,so he could xplain to you more about it.
I'm the one that Jake call for the xtra motor...sorry I'm keeping it..good luck
Old 09-24-2009, 07:16 AM
Restricted User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by turbo_ase
LOS....

Hey buddy I have the MSII the one that runs the coils.You could go to Jake[PBTH]or you could call him,so he could xplain to you more about it.
I'm the one that Jake call for the xtra motor...sorry I'm keeping it..good luck
Oh ok, cool. I spoke to Jake at the track that Friday night but had a block in my possesion by the following Tuesday. Machine work is done and I ordered pistons yesterday. I'm hoping that the short block will be ready by next Friday. I hope to be rolling in a month or less. As I mentioned before, I will likely be the local fbody test bed for the MSII. I have way more time than money. Initially I am going to continue to run the stock PCM and see if I can scale the map to run more than 15 psi. I'll need a little time to recover from the rebuild and sell off some old stuff before I tackle it though. Damn 98 PCM!

I'm pretty sure that Steve (twin TC78 build in question) will be using the BS3 though.

Did you buy Darin's mustang?
Old 09-24-2009, 03:07 PM
Staging Lane

yeap....I was going to do the same set up well copy his set up,but when jake tell me that it was on sale I jump on it,well pretty soon I will join you at the track or see you on the streets....

Orlando
Old 09-25-2009, 03:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

MoTeC
Old 09-25-2009, 08:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Will fast and BS3 run low Z injectors? I'm in this same boat. Don't know what I'll do yet.
Old 09-25-2009, 10:49 PM
Restricted User

Originally Posted by Firechikn
Will fast and BS3 run low Z injectors? I'm in this same boat. Don't know what I'll do yet.
I believe that all 3 will control low imp inj. It's the ignition that is tricky.
Old 09-26-2009, 08:32 AM
9 Second Club

Received 180 Likes on 155 Posts

How is ignition tricky ?

If an ecu cant control ignition on one of these engines, then its ***** and wouldnt work on most engines.
Old 09-26-2009, 08:46 AM
Restricted User

Originally Posted by stevieturbo
How is ignition tricky ?

If an ecu cant control ignition on one of these engines, then its ***** and wouldnt work on most engines.
Apparently, controlling the stock coils is more complicated than a distributor. They all control them. The MSII uses a wasted spark method that I believe fires on both the compression and exhaust strokes. The FAST needs another module that, from what I have read, causes some sort of delay that can create issues which basically makes the FAST a non-option. Not sure if the BS3 controls the stock coils using wasted spark or if it works like the stock PCM. I know that most of the guys going over 180mph in the 1/4 are using distributors.
Old 09-26-2009, 08:50 AM
9 Second Club

Its no different to trigger an LS coil than it is ANY other coil with a built in ignitor, of which many modern coils are like this.

If the ecu cant do it, its ***** so definately look to a different ecu. Certainly all of the ecu's Ive mentioned will do it no problems at all, and they are all fairly easy to use, and keenly priced
Old 09-27-2009, 07:46 AM
On The Tree

you'd be surprised how many afetrmarket EMS only run coils in wasted spark!

Its mainly due to the fact that they only have drivers for up to 4/6 coils.
Old 09-27-2009, 08:18 AM
Banned

iteresting
Old 09-27-2009, 11:35 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by toretto
you'd be surprised how many afetrmarket EMS only run coils in wasted spark!

Its mainly due to the fact that they only have drivers for up to 4/6 coils.
Thats no problem. Makes no difference if its wasted spark or true COP/one spark per compression. I run mine wasted spark with 8 LS1 coils.
Old 09-28-2009, 07:25 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 98Z28CobraKiller
Apparently, controlling the stock coils is more complicated than a distributor. They all control them. The MSII uses a wasted spark method that I believe fires on both the compression and exhaust strokes. The FAST needs another module that, from what I have read, causes some sort of delay that can create issues which basically makes the FAST a non-option. Not sure if the BS3 controls the stock coils using wasted spark or if it works like the stock PCM. I know that most of the guys going over 180mph in the 1/4 are using distributors.

BS3 controls stock coils just like OEM.

still a few of us using COP...
Old 09-28-2009, 01:33 PM
TECH Apprentice

Default MS can run stock coils..

Yes MS can run the stock coils, I wrote a step by step write-up specifically for the LS1 so anyone can do it. If you want, send me your e-mail and I will send it to you. I did alot of reading/looking and if you do the same you will see that MS is the way to go if you are doing it yourself....
Old 09-29-2009, 04:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Originally Posted by bigturboz28
Yes MS can run the stock coils, I wrote a step by step write-up specifically for the LS1 so anyone can do it. If you want, send me your e-mail and I will send it to you. I did alot of reading/looking and if you do the same you will see that MS is the way to go if you are doing it yourself....
is the writeup available in this forum?
Old 09-29-2009, 08:08 PM
Restricted User

Originally Posted by bigturboz28
You have a PM with my email. Thanks in advance!
Old 10-27-2009, 07:12 AM
Teching In

guys I have a few questions...

I'm running a twin 87mm turbo set-up on my new build 427 LSX with All-Pro 6-bolt cathedral port heads, super victor, fabricated elbow, 102mm TB, 8 x 160lb Low imp injectors.
we are looking at going with the GMPP front-mount distributer drive and an MSD ignition box, not ecu controlled spark. This is really for ease of use at the track as I prefer old school, it's not a true road car but a pro-street 71 camaro.

my questions are: what fuel contoller would be best for our combination, have any of you had any experience with or know of any similar builds using the distributer drive. I was using the origional GM ECU & HP tuners with my old 346 LS1 twin-turbo set-up and found it tiresome as I'm no tech guru. I need something that will control the fuel delivery, run 8 x low imp injectors, be easy to tune, it doesn't need to control the trans and will only need to the most basic of data-logging etc. Simplicity is my main goal without going back to the dark ages and using a blow-through.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Old 10-27-2009, 07:55 AM
Banned

Is the only reason you need aftermarket ecu is mainly fuel control i.e. low impedance injectors. I know you can data log all of the usual in hp/efi live. Just asking.
Old 10-27-2009, 09:16 AM
Restricted User

Originally Posted by gogto
Is the only reason you need aftermarket ecu is mainly fuel control i.e. low impedance injectors. I know you can data log all of the usual in hp/efi live. Just asking.
The stock ECU is a great piece but is also a bit stuborn. You dont have control over the output ranges of many of the sensors. You also have to meet several conditions in order to enter certain modes of operation. The more and more "strip" you go, you need to have a little more control. The aftermarket pieces also do away with alot of tables that aren't neccesary which pertain to emissions controls, transmission controls, and modifiers that can sticky up the works. That and they usually have more ignition and fuel delivery options.

Quick Reply: Which Aftermarket Engine Management System?