Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Will my APS kit hold up?

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2009, 01:30 AM
TECH Regular

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Will my APS kit hold up?

Im running a regular APS kit on my 408 setup with 9.5:1 compression. Its set at 10lbs of boost right now and I'm pushing about 690-700 to the wheels. I think its time to raise the boost a little bit and see what this thing can really do. What is the safest way to run this setup? I mean whats the highest I can turn the boost up on pump and meth. Or should I get the turbos rebuilt to hold more juice?
Thanks in advance.
Old 09-28-2009, 09:33 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well how long have you been running them at 10psi? It seems very hit and miss. Some guys had failure very quickly with theirs and some have gotten a few more miles.

I would keep it at minimum for now until you are ready to upgrade them to LG turbos or some other replacements.

I have been running mine at 7.5 gate minimum for about 5000 miles on my 408 no problems so far aside from factory internally cracked one which let coolant into oil which could have wiped out new 408 if hadn't caught it in first few minutes of start up. I have ran my turbos with just oil cooling no water since then As said so far so good. Car is down now for two or three weeks and might be up again for a few this season before putting it away till spring. I may put in lg turbo upgrades or put in ebay center carts that got or may keep hoping the aps keep working but not really into pushing the aps higher don't trust them.

So thats why its hard to tell you want to do. Some of the aps might be knock offs and some might be genuine maybe thats why some peoples have lasted longer. Hugger z got over 20k on his but he keeps boost at stock levels I think.
Old 09-28-2009, 09:59 AM
TECH Regular

I have an AMS 500 controller which is set for two stages. I would like to run at 10lbs right now, and run 14lbs with meth or race gas. I have about 400 miles on the whole kit. If i were to do an upgrade, what else do I have to look at besides the LG motorsports upgrades. Please let me know if there are other companies that offer better turbos.
Old 09-28-2009, 10:59 AM
TECH Veteran

Just buy the lg upgrades plug and play.Course you need bigger injectors likely,fuel system support. thats about it.

I got some replacement centers off ebay kando dynamics.They have good positive feedback and say they are genuine mits when asked them directly. I didn't install them yet. This guy named lowbird is running them for quite awhile so far with good results. YOu can search his name on here. Will sell them I think for now car is away for winter soon.
Old 09-28-2009, 11:02 AM
TECH Regular

Sounds good. Thanks for the input. I have all the correct fuel upgrades so I am not worried (120lb injectors, new lines, nasty fuel system with all. tank, etc..). Ill def. do a little more research before settling in on something.
Old 09-28-2009, 02:50 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yeah mine lasted a while at 10psi then it lasted a day or two when we put it up to 14psi and put it on the dyno only got a little over 2000miles or so on stupid aps turbos. Just get the LG turbos and be done with it dont risk anything going wrong with your car. Just my .02 cents.
Old 09-28-2009, 09:48 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by OneMean01
yeah mine lasted a while at 10psi then it lasted a day or two when we put it up to 14psi and put it on the dyno only got a little over 2000miles or so on stupid aps turbos. Just get the LG turbos and be done with it dont risk anything going wrong with your car. Just my .02 cents.
Yeah I was leaning towards that way also. Its probably the safest way to go. Also, OneMean01 do you have photos of your build/setup?
Old 09-28-2009, 11:16 PM
Staging Lane

well i have the same setup, 408 and twins. You cannot bring the boost up anymore because the turbos won't be efficient. The most i can get is about 11 lbs.
Old 09-28-2009, 11:25 PM
TECH Veteran

They will boost over 11 ,his inlets are sucking shut. For how long they will boost over 10 as said its a wild card. If you want to play russian roulette take them up there. But stent the inlets first unless you have the upgraded ones already.

The same turbos have gone way higher in vettes and gtos and other builds even with 402/408 motors. Whether they were all knockoffs is hard to say. Maybe they did give genuine ones for the vette and gto guys then started to shaft the f body guys mabye not all the f body kits ,again who the hell knows. We got zero straight answers from APS aka Peter on the subject.

I consider mine a time bomb and keep them at 7.5. So far the time bomb has not gone off and its end of the season in a few more weeks. I would not be greedy with the aps ones. Be happy with your 10 or lower it down and save up for upgrades.Maybe some more upgrade options will show up over winter. It would be nice to get some garette gt35 or equivalent ,BB turbos are still nicer then non BB turbos.Especialy nice in stick cars as they hold the boost better between shifts. Course since auto now dont care as much.
Old 09-28-2009, 11:34 PM
Staging Lane

true they CAN boost over 11 lbs. But the thing is just like you said it is a time bomb. The 408 motor is too big of a displacement for the tiny 20g turbos. dispite what APS says
Old 09-29-2009, 02:56 PM
TECH Regular

That's what I've pretty much heard from everyone on here and others on forums and friends. One of my friends suggested New Era Autocraft. He told me they could rebuild them for much less than LG. But I've talked to LG and they told me that LG gives you brand new units but for 3k I think it's a little pricy. That's why I wanted to see if there was anything else out there.
Old 09-30-2009, 10:17 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by corpserodeo666
Yeah I was leaning towards that way also. Its probably the safest way to go. Also, OneMean01 do you have photos of your build/setup?
Yeah I wouldnt take the chance plus its just better to wait and do the work once instead of putting it together then screwing something up then having to take it all back apart again if you know what i mean. Yeah I have pics and info of my setup just tell me what you want.

Originally Posted by ws6taguy
well i have the same setup, 408 and twins. You cannot bring the boost up anymore because the turbos won't be efficient. The most i can get is about 11 lbs.
Like you said not worth turning it up past 11psi due to the turbos not being efficient. Yes the will go past that but the wont hold the power there. At 11psi you have a steady climb of power all the way to red line. If you turn it up past that they hit hard but loose power around 4500rpm or so, so your dyno graph would look like an upside down V which would make it pointless. This is what my graph looked like with the stock APS turbos at 14psi you can see that it hit damn hard but there is just not enough air flow from the turbos to keep it going.

Old 09-30-2009, 10:39 AM
TECH Regular

It would be awesome if you can PM me the specs of your build. Are you still an M6?
Old 09-30-2009, 11:08 AM
TECH Resident

KWIKSS killed his turbo with a Katech 402 on 10lbs with dyno time only.

-Wade
Old 09-30-2009, 12:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Both of mine (APS TURBO'S)died completly after a week of street playing after haveing it tunned some months back.I was only running 9 PSI at that Im done with my LG turbo upgrade with one of my custom mechanical scavanging pump kits.Im just waiting on a AN 10 coupler and have to fill the coolant which i think im going with the Evans coolant this time around and she'll finally done Just intime to put her away for the winter LOL
Old 09-30-2009, 12:45 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by barnat
Both of mine (APS TURBO'S)died completly after a week of street playing after haveing it tunned some months back.I was only running 9 PSI at that Im done with my LG turbo upgrade with one of my custom mechanical scavanging pump kits.Im just waiting on a AN 10 coupler and have to fill the coolant which i think im going with the Evans coolant this time around and she'll finally done Just intime to put her away for the winter LOL
Well know I have to ask this question. Why are the turbos so crappy. I mean the kit isn't that cheap, everything else seems to work fine but all I have been reading is how bad these turbos are. Besides does anyone know the warranty on these things also? I cant find info on them.

Quick Reply: Will my APS kit hold up?