Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Wsss6 - MPT70 Front Mount Build

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2009, 02:23 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here's what the hardline looked like. I had it held together by tape in some places because I was still mocking it up.

I considered using that 45 degree fitting but seeing how tight everything is and how much trouble it would be I don't think I'll use the hard line idea. I called Rob at Modular Turbo and he set me up with a drain system that I think will work pretty good. Got my turbo, wastegate, and feed line with inline filter from him as well. Thanks Rob.

Not sure if anyone noticed, but I have been building this thing with a 40 mm wastegate from OBX I got off ebay. They sold me by saying they had a lifetime warranty and parts made from inconel. I took it apart and I didn't like anything about it. Build quality was poor, holes were eccentric, diaphragm wasn't reinforced, squares weren't square, ect. It might work fine, who knows, but I decided to get a JGS 40 mm to replace it with. I made another whoops with this though by accidentely putting down my parents house in St Louis as the shipping address. Dang.

I started putting things back together and clearance looks good everywhere. I had one issue with the pipe I have going from the intercooler to my throttle body, I forgot to account for the lower radiator hose so they hit each other. I'll spend today fixing that, then I'm really just waiting on the drain and new wastegate to show up so this thing can fire up and stop taking up all the space in my basement. A few more pictures.

Injector on left is stock, injector on right is a Ford 42lb/hr.

Old 12-14-2009, 06:04 PM
Teching In

I went by the local GM dealer and they quoted the Cobalt BARO sensor (GM Part #12580698) at nearly $100. I called a few other dealers and got prices varying from $90-110. An irish parts store had it for $83, and an advanced parts store had it for $160. What the hell? A website for GM parts (thats direct) had it for $63 after shipping but says it takes 7-10 days to go out. What am I doing wrong? I've seen in build threads that people got them for around $50, am I looking in the wrong places?
Old 12-14-2009, 07:10 PM
Restricted User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Great work!!!
Old 12-14-2009, 10:32 PM
On The Tree

Were did you find that piping to make the hard line?
Nice build! It will be worth the wait for parts when you get to drive it.
Old 12-15-2009, 01:15 AM
Teching In

The aluminum piping for the oil drain I got from a place called Family Center, not sure if they're only local or what but its a sort of farm supply store. I saw similar stuff at Lowes but it was more expensive and thinner walled. I bought it as a six foot long straight piece and cut off sections and put them through a pipe bender to get what I wanted.

Got the feed on, fixed the problem I had with the intercooler pipe, and made a "mid-pipe". I'm not sure how I'm going to connect this mid-pipe to the catback, probably take it to an exhaust shop I guess. Still waiting on the drain to come in. I've got a busy couple days ahead with school so I'm not sure how much I'll be able to do till thursday.

The "mid-pipe":
Old 12-15-2009, 08:04 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

isn't that the downpipe?
the midpipe generally refers as the pipe from the manifolds to the turbo. and the downpipe is the exhaust after the turbo
Old 12-15-2009, 12:08 PM
Teching In

I guess I'm not really sure what to call it. I made a pipe that takes a 90 off the turbo and points toward the opening in the K member, that's what i was calling the downpipe. Then this piece goes from that downpipe piece to the catback. So maybe downpipe(2)? Whichever.
Old 12-15-2009, 12:54 PM
TECH Addict

Lol, its still a downpipe, you just have it in 2 sections :p
Old 12-27-2009, 02:06 PM
11 Second Club

any updates
Old 12-27-2009, 07:45 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by TX RED
any updates
Old 12-27-2009, 08:53 PM
Teching In

Sorry for the lack of updates, I haven't accomplished enough to warrant a new post. I ended up getting the car towed 105 miles back home.

I did figure out the oil drain and have that wrapped up assuming I can get the right part in a timely manner. I need a -10 AN to 1/2 NPT adapter, should just screw it in when it gets here and be ready to start up. I've been biding my time reading tutorials in EFI Live and sorting out my new LC-1 wideband, which seems like it deserves a build thread of its own, lol.

Few odd and ends I can work on while I wait too. I really like how Tally TransAM used a stock LT1 upper radiator shroud, I'll try and source one of those to get that stock-ish look.

A reference picture from his build:
http://i958.photobucket.com/albums/a...d/114_1525.jpg

I also should probably wire in my fans, even though its about zero degrees outside.

So yeah, not much to post. When its up and running I'll be sure and get some good (not cell phone) pictures up and a video or two.
Old 12-28-2009, 02:39 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Wsss6
I did figure out the oil drain and have that wrapped up assuming I can get the right part in a timely manner.
sorry its coming
Old 12-28-2009, 05:19 PM
On The Tree

Why didn't you return your oil to some other location that wasn't such a pain in the ***? I've seen STS systems that return oil to the valve cover, more specifically the oil tube in the valve cover you pour oil into. I think that was kind of cheesey tapping into plastic like that, but I don't see why you couldn't tap right into the valve cover? I could be totally wrong too. If it were an old small block chev you could just run your oil line to the valley, through the bottom of your intake. But we all know the valley on an LS engine is dry and no drain, so thats not an option. Just my thoughts. Pretty bad *** build man!! I like the fact that you guys weren't affraid to dive into a project like this. That's my problem, I've got all the same equipment at my disposal that you do, and I'm a certified TIG welder too!! At some point a guy's just gotta say here we go and start building!! Hats off to you for doing that!! Are you really going to drift this car and not drag race it? I would at least make some T.O. passes at the strip just so you can find out, and brag about numbers!! Good Luck!!
Old 12-28-2009, 05:34 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by ten5nova
Why didn't you return your oil to some other location that wasn't such a pain in the ***? I've seen STS systems that return oil to the valve cover, more specifically the oil tube in the valve cover you pour oil into. I think that was kind of cheesey tapping into plastic like that, but I don't see why you couldn't tap right into the valve cover? I could be totally wrong too. If it were an old small block chev you could just run your oil line to the valley, through the bottom of your intake. But we all know the valley on an LS engine is dry and no drain, so thats not an option. Just my thoughts. Pretty bad *** build man!! I like the fact that you guys weren't affraid to dive into a project like this. That's my problem, I've got all the same equipment at my disposal that you do, and I'm a certified TIG welder too!! At some point a guy's just gotta say here we go and start building!! Hats off to you for doing that!! Are you really going to drift this car and not drag race it? I would at least make some T.O. passes at the strip just so you can find out, and brag about numbers!! Good Luck!!

it has to be a gravity drain ie below the turbo.

STS kits use a pump so its not an issue on those cars.
Old 12-29-2009, 02:07 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by ModularTurbo
it has to be a gravity drain ie below the turbo.

STS kits use a pump so its not an issue on those cars.
My mistake, I was not aware of that!!
Old 12-29-2009, 02:25 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by ten5nova

Just take the plunge, its really not that hard. As far as the equipment, as long as you have a saw, vice, and a welder I'm pretty sure you can do it. Having CNC equipment was nice but not necessary, especially if you buy the right parts in the first place lol. Now that I have a decent idea of what I'm doing I think I could do it much faster. The big reason my build took so long was school and other priorities, but if its not your daily driver who cares if it takes three months working on it a few hours each week? I see a lot of things I would do different now and I think some time in the near future I'll redo everything, that is once I take a little break from working on it and get to drive it a little.

And to all those who are about to start a build please please please DO NOT CUT UP YOUR CAR. Why would you? Pull the studs out of the truck manifolds and use short bolts that thread into the steel flange you have on the other side. Also, if your turbo is small enough, fit it in there so that you can use your stock radiator and not cut the upper support. Its possible (and easy) to keep your car intact, so why not do it?

Thats just my $0.02, I guess its your car so do whatever you want to it.
Old 12-31-2009, 08:18 PM
On The Tree

I shouldn't talk like I've never built anything, I put a 5.3 in my 77 Nova, had it in my 64 Nova for a while. I had to fab motor mounts, trans mount, and alternator bracket for both installs. I sit around and plan things too long, then I psych myself out, and change my plans, and generally be an idiot. The best advice I can give anyone when starting a new build is to stick with one plan!! It's not about having the fastest car in town or at the track, it's about building what you are capable of building and can afford!! My next project is to turbo the 5.3 in my Nova. I will probably go blow-through, rather than EFI just because it's probably cheaper in the long run. I'm not shooting for any particular numbers, but more than anything would like to post a thread on the "how much power on a stock short block" sticky!! I'm thinking around 10 lbs of boost with 50-75 worth of spray for faster spooling. Oh yeah, this WILL be on leafs, CalTracs, and 255 drag radials!! Stock suspension rules. Again, bad *** build, good luck, and seriously, get a set of drag radials, and take it to the drag strip at least once!!
Old 01-03-2010, 10:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

damn dude youve got some kinda patience lol lets see this bad boy in action!!!
Old 01-11-2010, 03:50 AM

Get this thing on the road!!! Pretty exciting build, cant wait to get my turbo(s) installed!! You've definitely inspired me to do my build.
Old 01-16-2010, 07:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

[QUOTE=Wsss6;12407048]

did you hook the criuse control back up or no? im having issues with my cruise cable and alternator bracket/alternator occupying the same space at the same time.

Quick Reply: Wsss6 - MPT70 Front Mount Build