Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Rear mount turbo can I run headers?

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2013, 06:36 PM
TECH Addict

Received 108 Likes on 91 Posts

im using resonators in place of my cats. im hoping they act as heat sinks and contribut to heat retention in the exhaust stream. that and help reduce harsh exhaust tones. im trying to keep my car deep and smooth with the turbo. if not not too big of a dea, ill just switch them out with some pipes. but im gonna test this out and see
Old 02-18-2013, 08:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by devilssled
Headers on a rear mount = lag city. Its one of those rare ocations where Stock is the best for ya.
This seems to be a myth a lot of guys on here keep going.
I have warped and coated pace setter LTs on my rear mount and it makes almost 900whp with instant spool.I think the better flow out ways the loss of heat by a long shot

Id rather have the restriction as far away from the heads as I can get it to help keep egts in cheek but thatd just me
Old 02-18-2013, 09:54 PM
TECH Addict

Received 108 Likes on 91 Posts

i think the smaller engines, 5.7L and under, benefit slightly more from the stock manifolds as well as the lower HP side of things. once you get a 6.0L or higher and 800+ hp goals, then id image that headers would do better in that area.
Old 02-18-2013, 11:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

1 5/8" headers on my s10 with wrapped pipe and spooled fine. alot of people dont realize that you can downsize the the ar housing on rear mounts. due to cooler and less dense gas your not going to have as much backpressure in that housing as a front mounted turbo. for instance, a front mounted turbo with .96ar will act similiar to a rear mounted turbo with .81ar. hotter gas/more dense = bigger ar. cooler gas/less dense = smaller ar. i think this is a key to spooling rear mounted turbos and often looked over by many people.
Old 02-19-2013, 12:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

also i have to mention that the least amount of bends the better. all bends should be mandrel bent and no bigger than 2.5" pipe. in water pumps for heating, we measure head pressure by amount of 90's and 45's and feet of pipe in the heating system. for every 90 degree bend equals 10' of pipe and every 45 degree bend is 5' of pipe. thats with water and air isnt as restrictive as that but you get the point.

Quick Reply: Rear mount turbo can I run headers?