Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

EPP FI cam users inside please..

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2009, 04:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default EPP FI cam users inside please..

My builder just called and said my EPP cam is all wrong for my setup. Can someone shed light on this for me. I thought alot of rear mount guys use this cam. He said something about the wrong split or needing negative something. Said he wouldnt use this cam in any turbo app is something not right here.

Here are the specs of the entire build

Someone let me know if this cam will be ok on the rear mount 383 or I got to do something with it. It is brand new.

01 WS6, GCRE built 383 stroker, TC78 rear mounted, FMIC, devilsown stg2 methanol, tial 38mm wastegate, TIAL 44m BOV, SPEC stg 3, Callies Compstar Crank & Rods, Wiseco -15cc dished, LS7 lifters, ls2 lifter trays, Stock heads, Comp Cam trunion rocker upgrade, Dual Gold Shimmed Valve Springs, Texas Speed Chromoly Pushrods, EPP FI cam@.050 232int 240exh Lift .595int .608exh Lobe Sep 115.0, Ported Melling, Rollmaster Dual Timing, ARP throughout, Racetronix 79# injectors, Dual intake 255 Walbros, stock feed and rails, SLP Y-pipe, stock rear and tranny. I know the rear is not going to like what Im going to throw at it will replace it soon after tune.
Old 10-28-2009, 04:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

from what i have seen is a reverse split cam is best with turbo cars and the epp cam is more of a blower cam
Old 10-28-2009, 05:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I thought the rear mount guys run this cam. Ive seen like 6 or 7 people using this.. Maybe Bob from EPP can chime in.. Is there a better cam for my app.

Check out this thread look at the poll numbers, what isnt right here..
https://ls1tech.com/forums/forced-in...-boosting.html
Old 10-28-2009, 07:53 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Umm... What I have the epp blower cam 813 hp 710 tq 17-8 psi WTF is he talking about that cam works. It sounds choppy as hell but it works. I have been down the reverse split road and made more power with this cam. I see u r in pensacola Im in GA do I need to drive my rearmounted car to his shop and show him it works??? I think u either need to find another tuner or school him some.
Old 10-28-2009, 08:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

These guys know there stuff Im not doubting that. They placed 2nd in a shootout event and graduated from SAM. Surprised me to when he called, because I know guys on here run them with success. He was pretty shocked and didnt say it wouldnt work. He said he didnt think it was right for the setup. Now I give him benefit of the doubt as there are only 2 rearmounts in my town that I know of and Im one of them. He was talking about going a reverse split, but said the EPP cam was more of a blower cam which he only saw the spec card he didnt know it was a EPP cam.. I said this is what alot of the rear mount guys use. When its all together I will drive it by so he can take a look. Just surprised me cause the builder is definately knowledable in engines, maybe just not rear mount turbos and he was warning me cause it was a blower cam he thought and he knows Im turbo..At least he called and was looking out for me. Just wanted to make sure I was still heading in the right direction

Last edited by vipvegas; 10-28-2009 at 08:12 PM.
Old 10-29-2009, 05:29 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by vipvegas
Said he wouldnt use this cam in any turbo app is something not right here.
Here is the first car we ever used our cam in, which just happens to be a turbo Corvette we built. http://www.exoticperformanceplus.com...Car.php?car=26

Here is an STS Camaro we built that we also used this same cam in. http://www.exoticperformanceplus.com...Car.php?car=32

Bob
Old 10-29-2009, 07:24 AM
TECH Resident

My tuner was a bit concerned with the fact that it said BLOWER as well, and i am trying to use it on a turbo setup. But he saw the cam card, and said he'd make it happen and it looked fine. It was a little bit of a challenge, had to bore the throttle plate a hair and work with the IAC - but its working GREAT. top end is stupid good and it sounds SOOOO mean: (post 35) https://ls1tech.com/forums/street-ra...pra-t74-2.html

my goal was to get that american muscle sound and have boost
Old 10-29-2009, 10:19 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I know the cam is bad, I listened to many clips, and also saw some of Bobs builds. Just didnt understand the logic behind him not thinking the cam would work well with my setup. I told him to proceed and put the bad mamajama in.. Thanks for replying Bob, also the link to Scotts camaro his video clips dont work or are inaccesible.

Thanks Guys
Old 10-29-2009, 10:41 AM
TECH Resident

some ppl just stick to what they know - maybe hes intimidated by the fact that hes gonna have to spend extra time fiddling to get it dialed in?
Old 10-29-2009, 10:45 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I have to run out and see the builder today to drop off an engine oil pickup tube girdle, I will get to the bottom of this or a better explanation from him.
Old 10-29-2009, 11:19 AM
Restricted User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by vipvegas
I have to run out and see the builder today to drop off an engine oil pickup tube girdle, I will get to the bottom of this or a better explanation from him.
Pin him down on what the cam "should" look like. Just to see what he is thinking.
Old 10-29-2009, 01:10 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It will not be ideal with a TC unit though.

Here is something for you I posted on PT.net regarding smallish exhaust housings on LS engines. All with LS6 cams BTW.

Run file 9...5.3l L33 stock long block with LS6 cam and dual springs. S468 BEP turbo at 19psi w/ A2A intercooler. Through a 4l80e and 35" tires on 20" wheels.

Run file 11....370 8.5:1 engine on pump fuel. Stock 317's and a LS6 cam with dual springs and a LS6 intake. TC76 with a .96 a/r I think the turbo was starting to fail here as boost comes on quicker with a good turbo. 13psi peak, through heavy 22" wheels.

Run file 14.....LQ9 stock long block with LS6 cam and dual springs, with LS2 intake and TB as it was in a GTO here. S374 BEP turbo at 2:1 pressure ratio/19psi on race fuel.
Attached Thumbnails EPP FI cam users inside please..-ls6-cam-dyno.jpg  
Old 10-29-2009, 01:12 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Exotic Performance Plus
Here is the first car we ever used our cam in, which just happens to be a turbo Corvette we built. http://www.exoticperformanceplus.com...Car.php?car=26

Here is an STS Camaro we built that we also used this same cam in. http://www.exoticperformanceplus.com...Car.php?car=32

Bob
And that is what lead me to use this cam lol. I remember when I spoke to bob about it in the middle of baghdagh lol!
Old 10-29-2009, 02:31 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by OUTLAWZ RACING
Umm... What I have the epp blower cam 813 hp 710 tq 17-8 psi WTF is he talking about that cam works. It sounds choppy as hell but it works. I have been down the reverse split road and made more power with this cam. I see u r in pensacola Im in GA do I need to drive my rearmounted car to his shop and show him it works??? I think u either need to find another tuner or school him some.
Im with him!! haha. This cam works GOOD and still chops..
Old 10-29-2009, 05:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Im also going with the 1.15AR TC78 instead of the .96, should help with backpressure a little and wont give out on top end. Hellbent you are the second person that says this isnt great, could you explain a little in detail I understand reversion but this is the first Im hearing of a problem with this setup. Also what would you change, I have the option to switch turbos if needed, Reggie Wynn at Turbonetics is the man said he would swap me exhaust housings to a bigger AR or upgrade me with a little cash to a new unit as mine is still in box. I spent months trying to plan and get my build together, and at the time everyone including a few big sponsors said the setup looked great and should make 700+. What you think. Remember this is a DD. Thanks

Am I the only person with a TC78 on a rear mount 383 strokers. Im not seeing many 383's to begin with less rear mount??

Last edited by vipvegas; 10-29-2009 at 05:44 PM.
Old 10-29-2009, 06:47 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If its a DD shooting for 700whp then I would defiantly look for something smaller. Unless your decision is based only on having that muscle car chop? You can make that power and get better fuel economy and drive ability using a much smaller cam.
Old 10-29-2009, 07:48 PM
On The Tree

I now own Scott's car and I'll tell you, this cam works well
Old 10-29-2009, 07:51 PM
EPP
FormerVendor

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by OUTLAWZ RACING
And that is what lead me to use this cam lol. I remember when I spoke to bob about it in the middle of baghdagh lol!
I remember that! Bob

Quick Reply: EPP FI cam users inside please..