Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Turbo M6 to Auto Swapers come inside!

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2009, 01:34 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i believe on summit's site that have a 4l80e that's a 6 speed and of course price is north of 5k. theoretically speaking, if you were to have one of those bad boys with a reverse manual valve body couldn't you have the best of both worlds manually shifting and having great mpg and holding serious power?

on a side note, have any of you guys used those heavy duty clutches capable or holding 1500hp? the double or triple puck design. ive heard those clutces are fairly streetable.
Old 11-10-2009, 01:39 PM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In my old car I went 10.70's with the 6 speed and swapped in a PG and went 9.0's-9.20's . Also added some front shocks to help transfer weight.
Old 11-10-2009, 02:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The clutch isn't the problem, It's the fact that a T56 is an OEM manual trans, and no matter what you do to it, it will always have the same ammount of bearing supports, and a singular counter shaft. Therefore once you poor on the coals the gears FORCE themselves apart, so hard the shafts bow, and you lose gear mesh untill you're riding on the tips of the teeth, then the gears just blow upart. OR a non-slipper clutched Manual trans car is also inherently hard on drivetrain components, I only 60' in high 1.4s and I blew apart a 9" center section to pieces and twisted a 3" steel driveshaft into a pretzel. They are just ABUSIVE on the drivetrain whereas a torque converter can be hit as hard as you want and it will just release its energy over a longer period of time, like winding up a spring. And the car leaves much easier and happier and won't break a decent drivetrain.

The ULTIMATE setup IMO would be a twin shaft clutchless liberty trans which can take all the horsepower, and a good slipper clutch setup like they run in the pros, A clutch you dial in to slip slightly off the line just enough to get about 95% tire hook, and down track shortly after it locks up pretty hard so you get a great launch, and maintain more RWHP than the auto. But that of course would be about $15,000 to have that setup running in your Fbody, thought about, just too much for me right now. (Enlisted Active duty Army E5)
Old 11-10-2009, 02:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

P.S. Hunter how dialed in was your 6 speed combo though? Mine left pretty damn good and I was downright decent at rowing the gears.
Old 11-10-2009, 03:41 PM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by z28boysteve
P.S. Hunter how dialed in was your 6 speed combo though? Mine left pretty damn good and I was downright decent at rowing the gears.
LOL, I had a stock 10 bolt at the time, so I wanted to make sure when I left the track I would make it home.
Old 11-10-2009, 11:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

lol that's a bit different, I been leaving at 6,000 RPM on the two step and popping the clutch lol, I lowered the RPM too much trying to reduce tire spin and them sobs hooked! then everything fell out of the bottom of the car lol.... .litterally... pics in profile lol. Stock ford centers and mild steel driveshafts are a no-no in a 6 speed lol.
Old 11-11-2009, 03:36 PM
TECH Resident

^thanks for the info steve i just learned a bit.

btw, ill be getting discharged next yr. MOS?

you guys are kind of scaring me a bit, next yr i should be making around 550rwhp on my d1 but my main concern is when i go to put in a stroker in a few yrs to boost it im going to have to make a decision. maybe im better off with a ls7 440 for the street and selling my goods. i just have to have a 6speed. sorry for rambling in your thread...btw,
Old 11-11-2009, 09:58 PM
12 Second Club

If I wouldn't have gone turbo a 440 with a small shot would have been my 2nd choice.
Old 11-12-2009, 02:45 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Well it really depends on what you want to do with the car, an M6 is fine and can made perfectly liveable under 600RWHP as long as you have the goods to back it up like a 3 1/2" chromoly driveshaft, and a Good AFTERMARKET ford 9" with 35 splines and 5/8" studs.. more HP than that all the way up to 850 RWHP can be manageable by the 6 speed, but require more frequent maintnance. Anything over that.. well its a ticking time bomb then, it's not if you break it it's when... Unless you launch the car soft as hell, but then you're just going slow and its retarded lol.

Im a 63D by MOS, self-propelled field artillery systems mechanic. and by practice, well I've done everything you can imagine since the army would rather have a civilian do your job (at 3X your pay) so they can put you out there kicking doors.
Old 11-12-2009, 03:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I really dont want to take my 6 speed out, but its looking like I'll have too.

I have broke my 12 bolt 3 times in 20 passes after i switched to my 28" slicks and fully adjustable rear susp. damn clutch just hits way to hard. and for the price of a slipper clutch, I can get a built th400 and a converter and be on my way.

and I plan on making some damn good power with my 418 on spray.... and I dont think my six speed inc stage 4 trans wants to handle that power, let alone my wallet for all the broken parts.

I am pretty much done with it for right now, when i get my promotion, and my bonus, I might go back to a liberty 5 speed and a slipper setup. plus having to buy a house and a 3 month old at home, I just want to get it together and race it!!

I just want to go racing and be done working on the same old **** every week. Auto land, here i come! haha
Old 11-12-2009, 05:54 AM
TECH Senior Member

I pulled out the T56 and went straight to a powerglide when I turbo'ed the car so I can't really give you a baseline...but I guarantee it wouldn't have run in the 7s

Quick Reply: Turbo M6 to Auto Swapers come inside!