Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Meth injection??

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2009, 12:20 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Meth injection??

I have a 408 with a 91mm Turbo and I'm going to add meth injection.

My question is, Is there a difference between the various meth injection kits, Is one better than another and most importantly are there any I simply need to just stay away from.

I was thinking about going with the AEM kit from JEGS.

Any input would be greatly appreciated up front.
Old 11-09-2009, 01:20 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Look at cooling mist and snow performance. Get as much info as you can on all of them. I run the cooling mist VC2 and love it. Easy set up and easy to install.
Old 11-09-2009, 01:22 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Alkycontrol= very adjustable. Initial, gain, start psi, and has a prime button. Complicated to install, as there are a lot of gizmos

Snow= very simple. Start psi, end psi, and its just a gradual ramp. 2 *****, very simply
Old 11-09-2009, 02:38 PM
9 Second Club

I have the AIS kit from Rodney here....i have the 1.5 gallon tank that mounts in the trunk
Old 11-09-2009, 04:51 PM

I am a bit biased ( ), but we have some systems specifically geared for the LSX engines and GM sensors. The simple comment is right on the mark. No matter how advanced a controller is, if you need to be an MIT grad to use it, there's a problem.

We have several vendors on this site that know our stuff pretty well. Try giving AFR or TSP a call. LG has used our stuff in the past as well.

Call me anytime you have any questions about meth-injection in general too.
Old 11-09-2009, 04:56 PM
Launching!

I really like the cooling mist setup out of all of the others. I have installed quite a few different kits and found the cooling mist to be one of the easiest and best quality kits out there.
Old 11-09-2009, 04:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts

Whatever kit you go with, be sure to get a fail safe system that makes sense to YOU and that you understand. Low level, clogged line, loss of pressure, electrical issues, or whatever is on the market now.
Old 11-09-2009, 05:01 PM

Originally Posted by imma_stocker
Whatever kit you go with, be sure to get a fail safe system that makes sense to YOU and that you understand. Low level, clogged line, loss of pressure, electrical issues, or whatever is on the market now.
This is good advice if you plan on an aggressive tune to take advantage of the octane and cooling. The thing to be sure of is that the system cannot be fooled easily and that it can make a tune safe rather than simply shuting down the injection system. Shuting off the injection is the last thing you want to do under boost.
Old 11-09-2009, 05:10 PM
FormerVendor

I am a big Alkycontrol fan. I have seen these kits on cars now that have been running 4+ years with no issues at all. Ask people that use other brand kits with pure methanol if they have used their systems this long without failure. Some brands seem to go through pumps every couple years.
Old 11-09-2009, 05:15 PM
10 Second Club

I like my Alky Control kit. This was the only kit I was told to get by my tuner. I have heard nothing but good things about this kit from other people too
Old 11-10-2009, 06:08 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Frost
I am a big Alkycontrol fan. I have seen these kits on cars now that have been running 4+ years with no issues at all. Ask people that use other brand kits with pure methanol if they have used their systems this long without failure. Some brands seem to go through pumps every couple years.
That is a valid point. Do you plan on running pure meth? Some companies will not warranty their pump if you do this, indicating that the pump is not designed for this. Get a system that is designed for the mix you plan to run and you should be safe. BTW, Snow, which also sells the fluid, recommends a 50/50 mix.
Things to consider:
What size tank do you need? Larger ones are designed to be trunk mounted.
How much boost do you plan on running? Get a controller that is designed to handle that much.
Do you want/need another display in the cockpit? Some have one, some do not.
Do you want a simple control system, or are you into the more complex but more flexible systems?
Make sure you have a low fluid detection system in place, at the very least.
Go with the slightly more expensive progressive controller, which injects more fluid as boost increases.
Old 11-10-2009, 10:26 AM
9 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I love my Alky Control kit also...very high quality kit and works perfect.
Old 11-10-2009, 03:32 PM
On The Tree

Thanks for all the input, but one more question.

Someone mentioned pure meth vs. the 50/50 spray.

What are the pros and cons of both under high boost. Say 12-28lbs.
My tune won't be super aggressive since it's going to be a street/strip car.
Old 11-10-2009, 05:03 PM

Thats a big conversation LOL.

Many people recomend pure meth, and that can be very effective. We recomend 50/50 for a few reasons:

It's safe. Pure meth has a low flash point and it is possible to get a back fire into the intake. It's not common, but it is possible. Additionaly, pure meth burns clear. You can only see the radiant heat from a methanol flame in most cases. So be very careful there. The fumes are very bad for you too, specifically your optic nerve.

Water actually absorbs a lot more heat than methanol. In fact it absorbs about twice as much before it is evaporated. So from an exhuast valve POV, water is useful.

It's cheaper. A lot of our customers are using the technology not just because of how effective it is but because of how cost effective it is. Some of our customers also inject at a rate of about 2000CC/MN 50/50 water meth will generally provide more detonation resistance than most people need anyway, and its easy to get. Many people just use -20F washer fluid because it is 1/3rd methanol, 2/3rds water and some blue dye. Hard to beat 2 bucks a gallon.

Also, in a lot of testing, 50/50 seemed to work best in very high stress environments like supercharged high altatude fighter planes.

Now a lot of people have done great on pure meth or some other ratio, and that is fine, just be careful.
Old 11-10-2009, 05:12 PM
TECH Resident

someone posted in a similar thread that they saw meth/water injection put out spark on dyno pulls and they recommended 100% meth. Sorry I can't link to it, but it was someone from a shop that does dyno tuning. Snow, can you shed some light on this?
Old 11-10-2009, 05:56 PM
Launching!

i was thinking of getting the alkycontrol. my setup is stock ls1 with the heads done up, with a t60 on 8 pounds. my tuner said i shouldnt run meth because i would gain more power and might blow something. he also said that if it ran out while i boostd it would blow too??? i thought the timing pulls back automatically???
Old 11-10-2009, 06:01 PM
8 sec potential, 12 sec slip

I like my alkycontrol kit. Has always worked very well, included everything I need in one already put together kit (even includes a new modified washer fluid tank (with low level sensor I may add) so you don't have to find another spot to put a tank in your engine bay in the already crammed space). Julio also has the best customer service I have ever encountered. Also, the pumps they sell are 100% meth compatible. Doesn't mean you have to run 100% meth, but its nice to know you are not limited in options. I just bought 5 gallons of 100% meth from my speed shop about 3 weeks ago. Price was $18.32 and that will last me roughly 5000 hard miles with me beating on it like a redheaded stepchild
Old 11-10-2009, 09:01 PM
TECH Regular

Don't suppose anyone makes a modified washer fluid tank that does double duty as both a meth container and a washer fluid container? You know two separate tanks in the same body. I think that would be handy, or am I just crazy?
Old 11-10-2009, 09:16 PM
TECH Addict

^^^ you are crazy.
Old 11-10-2009, 10:27 PM
TECH Regular

Duh, I shouldn't post when doing too many things at once.

Quick Reply: Meth injection??