Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Finally started the twin turbo project!

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2010 | 02:44 PM
Restricted User

15" wheel and 28" DR. Loosen up the front a little and hold on!

That's a sweet ride BTW. That's the chassis for my dream build.

Was the track sticky? Doesn't look it.
Old 08-03-2010 | 04:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 98Z28CobraKiller
15" wheel and 28" DR. Loosen up the front a little and hold on!

That's a sweet ride BTW. That's the chassis for my dream build.

Was the track sticky? Doesn't look it.
that track is usually pretty sticky on saturdays (when frank ran)
Old 08-03-2010 | 04:26 PM
Restricted User

Originally Posted by Fireball
that track is usually pretty sticky on saturdays (when frank ran)
Gotcha. Not sure what brand tire he's running but in the fast list he said it was a 295/45/17. Also looks like he could use some preload on the passenger side. Not sure what sort of suspension is under there.
Old 08-03-2010 | 04:36 PM
9 Second Club
15 Year Member

Nice, real nice! 3500Lbs for a little Chevy II, what do you have in the trunk?
Old 08-03-2010 | 08:07 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by helicoil
Nice, real nice! 3500Lbs for a little Chevy II, what do you have in the trunk?
I never really considered trying to keep the car light since it's a street car. The 17" Boyd wheels are super heavy! mild steel roll cage, full interior, full exhaust, Dana 61 (alot beefier than a dana 60) etc.

I'd love to throw this engine in a 2800# car that hooks well and see what happens!
Old 08-03-2010 | 08:12 PM
9 Second Club

Gotcha. Not sure what brand tire he's running but in the fast list he said it was a 295/45/17. Also looks like he could use some preload on the passenger side. Not sure what sort of suspension is under there.
They are MT DR's . The car has never pulled to the right like that before so I'm not sure what's going on. My best guess is it has something to do with me pedaling. I never had to lift before. I'm going to stiffen up my rear shocks and put on my 27-10.5-15 et streets on the weld wheels for the next track outing and see how the bias ply's work.

Suspension is stock mono leafs with Cal tracs.
Old 08-03-2010 | 11:17 PM
TECH Regular

Awesome build

What rpm did you start to build boost at with the 347?

btw... 3.54 is as low as a D60 will go.
Old 08-04-2010 | 08:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

could go taller tires too. frank turn the boost up a few more pounds and go for 8!
Old 08-04-2010 | 08:44 AM
Restricted User

Originally Posted by Boosted One
They are MT DR's . The car has never pulled to the right like that before so I'm not sure what's going on. My best guess is it has something to do with me pedaling. I never had to lift before. I'm going to stiffen up my rear shocks and put on my 27-10.5-15 et streets on the weld wheels for the next track outing and see how the bias ply's work.

The bigger sidewall should help out.

I'm not talking about the car pulling, I'm talking about the car twisting.

I would not tighten the rear suspension though as it doesn't appear to be squatting. What you need is a drag/antiroll bar if you dont have one already. That's where the preload would come from. Hard to tell how much suspension travel you have up front because of the camera angle but it looks like you could stand to loosen up the front some if that is possible.
Old 08-04-2010 | 08:47 AM
Restricted User

I'm not talking about the car pulling, I'm talking about the car twisting. Not sure how that type of suspension would be preloaded side to side. On the fbody's it's done with a drag bar.

I would not tighten the rear suspension though as it doesn't appear to be squatting. Hard to tell how much suspension travel you have up front because of the camera angle but it looks like you could stand to loosen up the front some if that is possible.
Old 08-04-2010 | 09:43 AM
9 Second Club
15 Year Member

Got to run the car at the track today and had a fairly good outing. I'm having some major traction issues. My best 60ft was 1.57! I had to pedal it through most of 1st gear and short shift into second to get it to do anything. But it's not all bad, I still ended up with my best time to date. It went 9.32 @ 152mph! Needless to say I'm pretty excited about that. Boost was set at 15psi so once I get some more seat time and get the traction issue straight, I'll start turning it up.

Very cool build, nice one off combo, a real eye catcher. Really liking it.

Curious how your IAT's are doing so far? Are you running pump, or race gas?

Very impressive times so far, as I mentioned before I am getting more and more of the itch to copy this build for my deuce, if you get into the 8's I am really screwed because then I will have no choice but to abandon my 555 'pump gas' plan.

Old 08-04-2010 | 09:50 AM
Restricted User

WTF!?!?!?! Does everyone have one of these laying around?
Old 08-04-2010 | 10:32 AM
9 Second Club

I'm not talking about the car pulling, I'm talking about the car twisting. Not sure how that type of suspension would be preloaded side to side. On the fbody's it's done with a drag bar.

I would not tighten the rear suspension though as it doesn't appear to be squatting. Hard to tell how much suspension travel you have up front because of the camera angle but it looks like you could stand to loosen up the front some if that is possible.
ahh, I got ya. Your'e right, when the car did hook before it would lean hard to the right rear. I am planning on adding an anti-roll bar this winter. I'm pretty restricted on travel on the front so I'll have to figure out some way to deal with it. Front shocks are set to 90/10 right now.

Frank
Old 08-05-2010 | 04:20 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by helicoil
Very cool build, nice one off combo, a real eye catcher. Really liking it.

Curious how your IAT's are doing so far? Are you running pump, or race gas?

Very impressive times so far, as I mentioned before I am getting more and more of the itch to copy this build for my deuce, if you get into the 8's I am really screwed because then I will have no choice but to abandon my 555 'pump gas' plan.
Thank Helicoil! I'm not too happy about my IAT's at the higher boost levels, but they could be worse. Run started off at 95* they at the end they were 141* (it was in the low 90s outside) I was running pump gas with some 110 mixed in (for peace of mind).
I'm on a mission to get this car to 60ft. I want to try and run 8s with the 17" wheels. I ordered some new split mono-leaf springs for it. I noticed some exessive spring wrap when playing the video back.

That is going to be a very cool project! Nice looking car! I say you strap some 91s on the 555 and call it a day
Old 08-05-2010 | 06:41 PM
9 Second Club

I don't think 8's will be far off. Cooler temps are coming......
Old 08-06-2010 | 07:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

Are you spraying meth/water? i keep hearing more and more about the latency of water and im starting to think ill get a kit once my setup goes on, think that over if your concerned about your IAT's, that or a bigger FMIC lol.

60ft, thats gonna need a healthy sway bar fer sure
Old 08-06-2010 | 11:31 AM
9 Second Club
15 Year Member

WTF!?!?!?! Does everyone have one of these laying around?
LOL! First love Chevy II's, then came the LS interest. Got that nice bullet for the Chevy II but have lost interest in it all together really, keep being tugged on to put an LS in it. Just a better fit IMO, but I need to find a buyer for this monster first.

Thank Helicoil! I'm not too happy about my IAT's at the higher boost levels, but they could be worse. Run started off at 95* they at the end they were 141* (it was in the low 90s outside) I was running pump gas with some 110 mixed in (for peace of mind).
I'm on a mission to get this car to 60ft. I want to try and run 8s with the 17" wheels. I ordered some new split mono-leaf springs for it. I noticed some exessive spring wrap when playing the video back.

That is going to be a very cool project! Nice looking car! I say you strap some 91s on the 555 and call it a day
Ha, ha don't have the bank roll for that kind of power, or the chassis. Gotta draw the line somewhere. I want to be able to drive it and run in the 8's when I race it, that's all. Only has a 8.50 moly cage. I used ladder bars and coil overs on the rear along with the mini tub and then an Alston front clip. It has some nice chassis parts on it, enough to stick a mid 8 run. The BBC is all set-up on the car now, headers, motor plates, N20 fuel system, radiator, etc. There just isn't room in that engine bay to twin turbo, or single turbo the BBC without giving up streetability. N20 was the only thing that fit. Even with an LS in there the turbos and centrifugals are hard to do. Your package is nice and simple, and came out clean. Doesn't look like it broke the bank either.

I would add a meth kit to yours and call it good, maybe add a little race gas here and there. It helped my hindered twin 4.5" coolers on my Camaro a bunch. The next step (different I/C arrangment) would not be pretty. That is a nice package as it is.
Old 01-08-2011 | 06:11 PM
On The Tree

Any updates on this build / car?
Old 01-08-2011 | 08:58 PM
9 Second Club

I wish I had a better update, but the car is totaled. I'm in the middle of building another car right now. I'll start a build thread soon. I have allot of work to do this winter
Old 01-08-2011 | 09:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Damn, very sorry to hear about that..... your car was so nice!

Quick Reply: Finally started the twin turbo project!