Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

422 LSX Solid Roller, TFS 245's, Billet Wilson & Twin TC78's from KYTP

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2009, 09:51 AM
Restricted User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

We did some tuning yesterday. First time really working with the BS3. The real time stuff is nice but the inability to log for more than 30 sec is no good for drivability tuning. I also dont like that it doesn't give an error log by cell on the VE table for fueling correction. Apparently they also did away with the learning function that would make this type of tuning much easier in that it will get you close. Definetly geared for race only applications.

I got most of the part throttle cruising around pretty close but then when we went to make some throttle transitions by rolling into the gas a little, it was getting really really fat. Got out of it and the car started stumbling real bad. Took it back to the shop and it had fouled all the plugs. He had the NGK #9's in there with the non-projected tips. I suggested that we change to the #8's that I normally run. He inspected the plug boots at this time and found that a few were already burnt up even with the heatshield sleeves on them. He bought some new boots as the wires were too long and he was gonna remake them anyway. We also ordered some wrap for the headers and covers for the turbos. The under hood temps are pretty crazy the way that it is right now.
Old 12-10-2009, 02:31 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Having an issue with the coating flaking off the turbos. I purchased the twin turbo kit from Josh @ KYTP. He purchased the TC78's thru Jose @ Forced Inductions. I called and spoke to Jose first and he told me that he had been having some issues with his current coater and just kind of left it there. I decided to call Josh about it and he contacted Jose and apparently is not getting any resolution either. Josh has offered to recoat them on his own dime but I think that I will take the money and put it towards the $400 blankets that I just had to order.

As you can see, I've spent lots of money getting this thing to not only run well but to look good doing it. So this problem is not "OK".

Old 12-10-2009, 02:37 PM
Launching!

Or maybe Jose could send me 2 properly coated exhaust housings and then I'll send these back to him? Just no way that I am taking this thing back apart and having it down for another 2-3 weeks while the coating is being done.
Old 12-10-2009, 04:59 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by ls2formula
Or maybe Jose could send me 2 properly coated exhaust housings and then I'll send these back to him? Just no way that I am taking this thing back apart and having it down for another 2-3 weeks while the coating is being done.
Just curious and I haven't read the whole thread but was this a nitrous car before? Ive just seen video's of a nitrous car with a glide with your same username. Good luck with the car and hope you get that flaking problem fixed quickly!
Old 12-10-2009, 06:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Yeah, he was a nitros guy before this.
Old 12-10-2009, 07:16 PM
Restricted User

We got into some boost today. We were seeing about 8psi on the spring. Butt-o-meter says about 700 rwhp. Felt real strong. AFR's were all over the place and we didn't get to make as many adjustments as I would like but we didn't have much time.

PRI show tomorrow so it'll be a few days until we mess with it again. Getting there.
Old 12-10-2009, 07:38 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by ls2formula
Having an issue with the coating flaking off the turbos. I purchased the twin turbo kit from Josh @ KYTP. He purchased the TC78's thru Jose @ Forced Inductions. I called and spoke to Jose first and he told me that he had been having some issues with his current coater and just kind of left it there. I decided to call Josh about it and he contacted Jose and apparently is not getting any resolution either. Josh has offered to recoat them on his own dime but I think that I will take the money and put it towards the $400 blankets that I just had to order.

As you can see, I've spent lots of money getting this thing to not only run well but to look good doing it. So this problem is not "OK".

What was used for the coating?
Old 12-10-2009, 08:26 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Incredible how fast this thing has come together, sick build, very clean, and a sick setup. Bummer on the coating, but all things considered it's the best thing that could have happened of the 'things to go wrong'. Hopefully Jose' will take care of it, not cool otherwise.
Old 12-10-2009, 09:12 PM
Restricted User

Originally Posted by craig382ci
What was used for the coating?
It's supposed to be a ceramic/jethot type high temp coating but it hadn't even seen 1# of boost at that point in the picture. It's all gone now.
Old 12-10-2009, 09:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

freakin great. I've got the same coating from forced inductions. I hope mine doesn't do that.
Old 12-10-2009, 09:42 PM
Banned

Yeah the coating deal isnt cool at all, but will be taken care of by myself. Glad to see you found the boost. Have fun a PRI. Wish I could make it down.
Old 12-10-2009, 09:44 PM
Restricted User

Originally Posted by 'Trust'
Incredible how fast this thing has come together, sick build, very clean, and a sick setup. Bummer on the coating, but all things considered it's the best thing that could have happened of the 'things to go wrong'. Hopefully Jose' will take care of it, not cool otherwise.
There's other stuff but it's all in the process of being resolved or we have been able to resolve in house somehow. If it were easy, everyone would do it.
Old 12-12-2009, 09:13 AM
Restricted User

PRI was lots of fun. I picked up a smoking deal on a JGS 60mm wastegate for myself. The diaphragm-less piston design just seems better to me. Regardless, it'll be way better than the eBay gate I got on there now.

We stopped by the SwainTech booth and spent some time talking to those guys about their exhaust coating. That **** is REALLY thick compared to the Jethot type stuff. I'm pretty sure that Steve was sold on this. Depending on what kind of preholiday turn around they are willing to guarantee, will likely determine whether or not the hot side gets tore out next week.

On our way home from PRI we stopped at a service plaza on the turnpike and bought 40 gallons of E85 to play with also.

Gonna do a little more tuning this afternoon. Try to figure out the hard start. Would like for it to start with out having to give it any throttle. Just turn the key.
Old 12-12-2009, 01:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

hey post up some vids on that stuff. pm some details on that new coating your looking at. I might just have to do that to avoid the coating problem from FI. Hopefully it ain't too expensive.
Old 12-12-2009, 03:31 PM
9 Second Club

It dosn't sound like you have set up your + and - 02 correction's. The BS3 will add up to and take out up to 25% of fuel for you. We set mine up to take out only 10% of fuel and add the full 25%. Did you do the timing sinc as well. I learned the hard way and that is very important. If not, this will add ALOT of underhood temps.

Last edited by HUNTER02SS; 12-12-2009 at 03:38 PM.
Old 12-12-2009, 04:52 PM
Restricted User

Originally Posted by HUNTER02SS
It dosn't sound like you have set up your + and - 02 correction's. The BS3 will add up to and take out up to 25% of fuel for you. We set mine up to take out only 10% of fuel and add the full 25%. Did you do the timing sinc as well. I learned the hard way and that is very important. If not, this will add ALOT of underhood temps.
We got it adding 25% max and pulling 15% max. It's doing it but it's not instant correction and the idea is to dial it in so that the required corrections are minimal if any at all.
Old 12-12-2009, 05:03 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by 98Z28CobraKiller
We got it adding 25% max and pulling 15% max. It's doing it but it's not instant correction and the idea is to dial it in so that the required corrections are minimal if any at all.
It almost like a rollercoaster efect. The A/F when it's rich it takes out and then when lean it starts to add. Do the trace function and this will help you nail it down.
Mine up to 15psi. is pulling appx 3% out
Old 12-13-2009, 04:22 AM
Restricted User

Originally Posted by HUNTER02SS
It almost like a rollercoaster efect. The A/F when it's rich it takes out and then when lean it starts to add. Do the trace function and this will help you nail it down.
Mine up to 15psi. is pulling appx 3% out
Yeah, been using the trace function. I guess I'm just spoiled from the HPTuners stuff. You go out and drive around and log for a while. Come back, look at the percentage error in each individual cell in the VE table log, copy, multiply by percent on the ve table in the tune, and you've just corrected every cell that you normally hit driving around in one shot. Do this like 3 times and you should be within 0-3% of commanded.

I been tuning for a while and have done my share of street tunes with 8 and 9 sec cars that get driven daily. I can tell you for certain that the stock pcm with HPT or EFI Live is much easier to driveability tune than the BS3. For WOT tuning and operation, BS3 is far superior.

I did a little more tuning yesterday getting the 2 step dialed in and we're thinking that she is ready to make some shake down passes. Hopefully have some video of some low boost stuff here before christmas unless Swaintech can guarantee that they can coat the stuff and have it on it's way back to him before christmas day.
Old 12-13-2009, 04:51 AM
Restricted User

Scratch the track for next week. I have just been made aware of some new cold side issues discovered last night. Steve is in touch with Josh on this and trying to work towards a prompt resolution.
Old 12-13-2009, 06:45 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 98Z28CobraKiller
Yeah, been using the trace function. I guess I'm just spoiled from the HPTuners stuff. You go out and drive around and log for a while. Come back, look at the percentage error in each individual cell in the VE table log, copy, multiply by percent on the ve table in the tune, and you've just corrected every cell that you normally hit driving around in one shot. Do this like 3 times and you should be within 0-3% of commanded.

I been tuning for a while and have done my share of street tunes with 8 and 9 sec cars that get driven daily. I can tell you for certain that the stock pcm with HPT or EFI Live is much easier to driveability tune than the BS3. For WOT tuning and operation, BS3 is far superior.

I did a little more tuning yesterday getting the 2 step dialed in and we're thinking that she is ready to make some shake down passes. Hopefully have some video of some low boost stuff here before christmas unless Swaintech can guarantee that they can coat the stuff and have it on it's way back to him before christmas day.
Good info there.

I think you will very happy with Swaintech coatings. I run their coating on the turbine housing of my Garrett in my diesel pulling truck. EGTs run 1600 to 2000 degrees for 10 to 13 secs.
You can see the hot pipes glowing in this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mg5EoTqOzng

Two seasons of this and the coating is holding up fine

Quick Reply: 422 LSX Solid Roller, TFS 245's, Billet Wilson & Twin TC78's from KYTP