Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

422 LSX Solid Roller, TFS 245's, Billet Wilson & Twin TC78's from KYTP

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2010, 08:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This isn't my car. This is Steve's. I have a different build thread. It's basically the same kit as his with a few differences. I'll post the pics up now. The kit is still at Josh's shop on his mockup engine bay btw. Chris
Old 01-04-2010, 12:21 PM
Restricted User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by AKMac
Thats cool. I wouldn't mind moving the radiator vertical, or deleting the ABS. But personally I would be a little bummed about taking away the A/C and P/S....until I hit the throttle!

Once again, nice build. It's hard to tell in the pics, but it looks like you even took the time to paint the engine bay a nice gloss!
Yeah, he filled and welded a bunch of stuff and had the engine compartment painted on the previous go-round with the nitrous.

The reason for not retaining the power steering was because the pulley was too big. The reason for not using a smaller pulley was not so much about over spinning it (the underdrive crank pulley is already spinning everything slower) but rather because we weren't able to find a pulley that would work. A custom pulley was ridiculuos money (about $400 from what we could get quoted).
Old 01-04-2010, 09:46 PM
9 Second Club

Received 277 Likes on 105 Posts

Originally Posted by 98Z28CobraKiller
On the first outing with these heads he had Cometics. Now he is running a Felpro. No o-ringing yet. He is running the newer ARP studs but they aren't larger diameter or anything. The car has been a best of 8.8 on nitrous so far so there hasn't been any water pushing issues yet. We haven't run it on the turbo setup yet so we will cross that bridge when we get to it.
Are you running the Felpro 26473's or 26472's? I hope they are black in color and not blue.
Old 01-05-2010, 08:21 AM
Restricted User

Originally Posted by helicoil
Are you running the Felpro 26473's or 26472's? I hope they are black in color and not blue.
I'm pretty sure they were black. I believe that the blue is for a smaller bore.
Old 01-05-2010, 10:30 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Badass build. Too bad about the coating company not holding there word. Looking forward to vids and numbers
Old 01-05-2010, 09:04 PM
9 Second Club

I'm pretty sure they were black. I believe that the blue is for a smaller bore.
Not true, blue were used for about a year and half on most all MLS applications from Felpro, anything from a Ford to Chevy. Black is what you want! The change back to black took place about 4 months ago.
Black ones will hold up to alot, there were some issues with the blue coated MLS gaskets across the board, they were then re-designed and to help keep it all straight on their end they changed the coating back to black for identification purposes. Actually, the coating has nothing to do with anything other than identifying the timeline for change, and of course cold engine fluid sealability (water).
Old 01-08-2010, 02:30 PM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow, Mike. Tha is above and beyond alot of other place's would do, especially running 8's! Prop's to you guy's!
EDIT, that go deleted quick.
Old 01-08-2010, 02:31 PM
Restricted User

Originally Posted by Mike@TEA
CobraKiller, Very Impressive build, you do nice work. I do not wish to highjack your thread here. But I do not feel you are giving TEA a fair shake in this and may be treating us a little unfairly. Steve's original heads were over 11 months old when they came back with the warranty issue and both heads had evidence of being milled from deck damage related to piston failure's aside from the water leak. Once we figured out what was wrong we had no problems in replacing the defective head even though we knew that he had been running 8's on nitrous. What is a suitable warranty period for a product used in an application such as his? Most companies would say "that's racing" or "no warranty on race parts" sorry about your luck. We did not, in the end Steve got a brand new pair of heads for $1000.00 which included a $325.00 set of Inconel exhaust valves that he wanted to upgrade to for use on a turbo application, plus 3 new intake valves to replace the bent ones out of his other heads. So call it $600.00 for brand new 6-bolt castings which is about what it would have cost to have the exhaust guides changed and freshen up his old heads if the chambers weren't too small to fit the new turbo application. The last time I spoke with Steve he agreed this resolution was fair and reasonable for both parties involved or so it seemed. In hindsight this may not be the case. I will talk to him personally about his bad taste. You also stated "(the top center head bolt on these 6 bolt heads is a HUGE pain in the ***)". I have never had anybody complain about this before, is that a TFS problem or just a 6-bolt LSX problem in general?
First, thanks for the kind words. Hopefully it runs as good as it looks once we finally get it out on the road.
Our reasoning was that the one head was defective from day one. That means that all the problems that resulted going forward can be associated to the defective head with the "shifted casting". Because everytime that we pulled the one head it needed to be resurfaced, we had to resurface them both to match. Being as though he bought them as a pair, he wanted them replaced as a pair. He didn't ask for any reimbursement on any of the time spent putting it together and taking it apart or any of the costs associated with machine work and headgaskets. These costs add up to well over $1000. But, like you said, that's racing and shame on us for not catching it earlier.
As for him being happy, well........, what was he going to do? Lay out another $3K with someone else and wait another XX weeks for a set of heads? It wasn't an option. You guys were holding all the cards and that was all that you were willing to do so he accepted your terms.
As for the extra top row of head bolts for the LSX, it's an LSX thing not a TFS/TEA thing. Sorry if it was unclear.
Old 01-08-2010, 03:03 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

I have worked with Mike while he was at Trick Flow and then at Total Engine Airflow. Being a racer himself he understands what we all go through.

Looking at the original post I think that Mike did everything that he could within the parameters of their business.
He worked to come up with somthing rather than sending another casting and calling it a day.

Can he make everyone happy all the time? Probably not. But I think that he did the best that he could. I figured the situation was resolved and both parties had moved on.

Your build is awesome. I hope to see the car run sometime.

Robin
Old 01-08-2010, 03:47 PM
Banned

First, thanks for the kind words. Hopefully it runs as good as it looks once we finally get it out on the road.
Our reasoning was that the one head was defective from day one. That means that all the problems that resulted going forward can be associated to the defective head with the "shifted casting". Because everytime that we pulled the one head it needed to be resurfaced, we had to resurface them both to match. Being as though he bought them as a pair, he wanted them replaced as a pair. He didn't ask for any reimbursement on any of the time spent putting it together and taking it apart or any of the costs associated with machine work and headgaskets. These costs add up to well over $1000. But, like you said, that's racing and shame on us for not catching it earlier.
As for him being happy, well........, what was he going to do? Lay out another $3K with someone else and wait another XX weeks for a set of heads? It wasn't an option. You guys were holding all the cards and that was all that you were willing to do so he accepted your terms.
As for the extra top row of head bolts for the LSX, it's an LSX thing not a TFS/TEA thing. Sorry if it was unclear.
I posted the quote in post 168 then pulled it down thinking maybe better to let sleeping dogs lie but too late now. I tried to make Steve happy and I thought we were pretty fair about it and both sides of the story should be told. Sorry I tried.

Last edited by Mike@TEA; 01-08-2010 at 04:06 PM.
Old 01-08-2010, 04:07 PM
Restricted User

Originally Posted by Mike@TEA
I posted that then pulled it down thinking maybe better to let sleeping dogs lie but too late now. I tried to make Steve happy and I thought we were pretty fair about it and both sides of the story should be told. Sorry I tried.
When I originally posted about our experience with TEA/TFS, I made it a point to keep it to a factual account of what transpired so that anyone reading the thread could come to their own conclusion as to whether or not TEA/TFS went far enough to make it right. It is our opinion that you guys did not go far enough for the reasons outlined. Others may think differently. Just to clarify, we only took issue to having to pay for the second casting which really can't cost TFS much. I also have made it a point to not bring it up again until now.

Mike, if you were in fact working your hardest to do the most that you could for us then I must thank you. It's not like TEA/TFS wasn't willing to do anything. You guys did compromise.What I can tell you is that when my AFR's were recalled, they replaced the valves, paid freight both ways, supplied new head gaskets, and cut me a check for $450 for labor and fluids. That recall was for scuffing on the tips of the valves. That's where my expectations were going into this.

To anyone reading this, I don't want to turn this into a big thing. We have said our peace and TEA has said theirs. If you have an opinion on this, feel free to exercise it at the time that you decide on a set of heads. I don't want to distract anymore from the thread as this is just a small portion of what we are doing here.
Old 01-08-2010, 04:18 PM
Banned

When I originally posted about our experience with TEA/TFS, I made it a point to keep it to a factual account of what transpired so that anyone reading the thread could come to their own conclusion as to whether or not TEA/TFS went far enough to make it right. It is our opinion that you guys did not go far enough for the reasons outlined. Others may think differently. Just to clarify, we only took issue to having to pay for the second casting which really can't cost TFS much. I also have made it a point to not bring it up again until now.

Mike, if you were in fact working your hardest to do the most that you could for us then I must thank you. It's not like TEA/TFS wasn't willing to do anything. You guys did compromise.What I can tell you is that when my AFR's were recalled, they replaced the valves, paid freight both ways, supplied new head gaskets, and cut me a check for $450 for labor and fluids. That recall was for scuffing on the tips of the valves. That's where my expectations were going into this.

To anyone reading this, I don't want to turn this into a big thing. We have said our peace and TEA has said theirs. If you have an opinion on this, feel free to exercise it at the time that you decide on a set of heads. I don't want to distract anymore from the thread as this is just a small portion of what we are doing here.
Fair Enough! I'm out.
Old 01-08-2010, 04:45 PM
Restricted User

Originally Posted by helicoil
Not true, blue were used for about a year and half on most all MLS applications from Felpro, anything from a Ford to Chevy. Black is what you want! The change back to black took place about 4 months ago.
Black ones will hold up to alot, there were some issues with the blue coated MLS gaskets across the board, they were then re-designed and to help keep it all straight on their end they changed the coating back to black for identification purposes. Actually, the coating has nothing to do with anything other than identifying the timeline for change, and of course cold engine fluid sealability (water).
Just confirmed that they were black.
Old 01-08-2010, 10:05 PM
9 Second Club

Just confirmed that they were black.
That is a good thing.
Old 01-08-2010, 10:53 PM
10 Second Club

Received 62 Likes on 28 Posts

You guys going to have a car at Dead Hookers the 16th?
Old 01-08-2010, 11:20 PM
Launching!

Badass build... I can't wait till mine is done!
Old 01-11-2010, 06:57 PM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You'll have to excuse me, I'm from the middle of nowhere in Montana where shitty bracket racing is all we have, can one of you guys explain to me the "Dead Hookers" races? I love the name, it's pretty clever. Where do they take place, and who sanctions them? Info appreciated.
Old 01-11-2010, 09:21 PM
Restricted User

Originally Posted by raymond mckinney
You guys going to have a car at Dead Hookers the 16th?
Unfortunately not. I'm not bringing my car and Steve's car wont be back together in time.

Originally Posted by ten5nova
You'll have to excuse me, I'm from the middle of nowhere in Montana where shitty bracket racing is all we have, can one of you guys explain to me the "Dead Hookers" races? I love the name, it's pretty clever. Where do they take place, and who sanctions them? Info appreciated.
It's a great play on words meant to mean that it is a well prep'd surface. It's a private track rental put on by www.need2speed.com in Bradenton, FL @ BMP. The next one is this weekend coming up.
Old 01-12-2010, 03:01 PM
Restricted User

Swain Tech is shipping the hot parts back today so we should have them by next Tuesday and then it shouldn't be long before we are shaking her down. I should note that the bill was on the lowest end of their pricing range for the different components. All the hot parts that you can see from the top of the motor (both headers, both of the v-band to T flange pipes, both exhaust housings and both of the 90* elbows for the DP) were under $600 plus freight.
Old 01-13-2010, 04:21 PM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Unfortunately not. I'm not bringing my car and Steve's car wont be back together in time.

It's a great play on words meant to mean that it is a well prep'd surface. It's a private track rental put on by www.need2speed.com in Bradenton, FL @ BMP. The next one is this weekend coming up.
Yes, I understand the wordplay!! That sounds awesome!! Does it draw a lot of cars, or is it by invitation? I wish I lived where real racing goes on!! You guys are lucky!!

Quick Reply: 422 LSX Solid Roller, TFS 245's, Billet Wilson & Twin TC78's from KYTP