Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Powerdyne people in here (old and new)

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2003, 04:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Powerdyne people in here (old and new)

I am lookiing for a smaller pulley. probably about a 9 psi or 11 psi pulley i know that there is not a company that makes one. Does anyone know someone that has specially made one for them or something. I am only getting about 2.75 psi worth of boost from my 6 psi pulley

i need much bigger
Old 12-11-2003, 05:18 PM
TECH Addict

without heads/cam/headers you should see 5-6psi.

have you checked for belt slip? look for belt dust. even with heads, mild cam and mac headers you should still see about 5psi. If your only seeing 2-3 you have issues somewhere. Are you using the stock induction pieces like powerdyne provided or have you ditched that for a pipe with a k&n cone filter on the end placed in the cavity where the fog light is? If not I would do that right away. That is worth 1-2 psi.

you can get a 2.9" pulley made by ASP. thats as small as you are going to want to go or you will be snapping the internal belt left and right. with the 2.9" pulley and the Katech tensioner that replaces the factory one you should be able to see approx 8psi.

I know this kit inside and out so you can trust what I say is correct. I don't have mine installed anymore but you can hit up my buddy Jason (Jrios) for pics and details and such. He is the one overspinning with the 2.9" pulley. I always just used the 6psi pulley and would see 5psi even with my heads/cam/headers.

There are also other little things like re-routing the radiator hose away from the discharge tube on the blower so that you don't unecessarily heat the air.

If you plan to overspin the blower your going to need to either add an intercooler or water/alky injection. It's too far out of it's efficiency range to try to run without it. We tried and it pinged even with 14 degrees advance. With the water/alky we run 19 degrees advance at TQ peak and the car has made a best of 478/455. This was done on 91 octane gas. If you have higher octane gas you may be able to get away with a little bit more.
Old 12-11-2003, 07:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Ok that is awesome help. I really appreciate it. Could you please get me a some photos of how you did an intercooler on the car. I also need a way to get a hold of asp is there a website or a phone # to get a hold of them.

I checked for belt slipage but I see none. But I am really not sure how to check for belt dust either. any help with this would be awesome as well. You were telling me about the cone next to the fog lights. I really like the fog lights and really do not want to do that. Is there another way to do it like mabe cut a hole in the air dam and run a pipe from there or something.

Actually can you get me any pic of the installation that you have. cause I really want to change some of the stuff that i have on it know.
Old 12-11-2003, 07:29 PM
TECH Addict

sorry you have a TA so I should have said locate the filter in the area where your blinker and that open hole is. I have a formula so it's where my fog light is.

i have asked jason to snap a bunch of pics of his setup so you can see how it all works.

just do a search on the web for ASP pulleys and you will find their info. I personally don't know it.

for the belt dust look for black powder around where the blower pulley is.

does the boost build fairly quickly to 3 and just stay there? I have to believe it's slipping or using the powerdyne was of running the inlet air is just REALLY terrible. I don't know since I never tried it that way. I went straight to the straight pipe and cone filter. Just sooo much better doing it that way.
Old 12-11-2003, 07:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

ok if i was to route it there where would I get the tube to do that and what did you do with the lid on the top
Old 12-14-2003, 12:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

hey blackbird were you able to get your friend to take any pics or anything
Old 12-14-2003, 01:35 AM
TECH Addict

i asked him take pics of everything. haven't heard back yet. I will bug him again.

are those new dyno numbers at the bottom of your sig???

if so I am guessing you are making about 5psi and your guage is bad or the line is crimped or something of that nature.

no way you can make 400rwhp on 2.75psi.

i would suggest looking into the accuracy of your guage.
Old 12-16-2003, 03:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Blackbird
i asked him take pics of everything. haven't heard back yet. I will bug him again.

are those new dyno numbers at the bottom of your sig???

if so I am guessing you are making about 5psi and your guage is bad or the line is crimped or something of that nature.

no way you can make 400rwhp on 2.75psi.

i would suggest looking into the accuracy of your guage.
The place that did my tunning said that i was not getting that much boost they sasid the the most that the car is seeing is 3 1/2. I have looked into the gauge but it seems to be working just fine. I might turn it in to get it replaced but I am not sure.

The #'s on the bottom are new. Are they any good? I am new to the whole powerdyne speal. I went powerdyne cause everyone is going pro charger right now. I just wanted to be different. And i did get an e-mail from jiros and I sent him on eback I really apreciate all of your help
Old 12-16-2003, 01:59 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does powerdyne sell a 9lb pulley? My friend is upgrading the bearings and internal belt in his powerdyne. Isn't the powerdyne a b10a or something and its very similar to a b11?

-Corey
Old 12-16-2003, 02:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by sevanseriesta
The #'s on the bottom are new. Are they any good? I am new to the whole powerdyne speal. I went powerdyne cause everyone is going pro charger right now. I just wanted to be different. And i did get an e-mail from jiros and I sent him on eback I really apreciate all of your help
Those were almost the exact numbers I made with the PD on a totally stock setup (except for SC, fuel pump, and 36 lb injectors). I was seeing almost 7 psi at 6000 rpm, though.

Personally, I thought it was a great setup, but the belt slip will always be the weak link (because it is unfortuantely back-side drive). I had a solid tensioner, and it would still slip on me past 6300. I would think you would have to change the belt often or the slipping would get worse. Mine started dropping off at 5500 after about 5000 miles. It went like a bat out of hell until it got there, though! If you are going to run it as a daily driver, I would change out the belt every two months or so. Get a solid tensioner from Ka-Tech, and jrios has the part numbers for the shorter belts (more room for tightening!).

Good luck with your setup, I have install pics if you need them too.

-Geoff
Old 12-18-2003, 05:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by White_Hawk
Those were almost the exact numbers I made with the PD on a totally stock setup (except for SC, fuel pump, and 36 lb injectors). I was seeing almost 7 psi at 6000 rpm, though.

Personally, I thought it was a great setup, but the belt slip will always be the weak link (because it is unfortuantely back-side drive). I had a solid tensioner, and it would still slip on me past 6300. I would think you would have to change the belt often or the slipping would get worse. Mine started dropping off at 5500 after about 5000 miles. It went like a bat out of hell until it got there, though! If you are going to run it as a daily driver, I would change out the belt every two months or so. Get a solid tensioner from Ka-Tech, and jrios has the part numbers for the shorter belts (more room for tightening!).

Good luck with your setup, I have install pics if you need them too.

-Geoff
Hey geoff that would be awesome if you could send me some pics of your set up as well. jiros did send me everything and I am looking for some part #'s. I am needing a lot of help I am trying to do everything on my own because it is cheaper but if I have to give it to mc racing to make the adjustments I might just do it.
Old 12-30-2003, 03:40 PM
Launching!

Is there a way to setup the pd system where you won't have any belt slippage? I'm also looking at the PD setup as it'll save me $$ for the amount of boost I'm looking for. I only want to hit about 6psi only. No more than 8 as it's a daily driver.

The alternative I'm looking at is ATI however it's all about the funds.
Old 12-30-2003, 03:52 PM
TECH Addict

if you only want 6psi belt slip won't be an issue.

I never had problems and if you really want to make sure, the belt tensioner from katech seems to work pretty well. using it my buddy jason is able to use a 2.9" pulley and hit 8psi with no slip. which is amazing since the PD uses the backside of the belt.

Quick Reply: Powerdyne people in here (old and new)