Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

boosting a 347(newbie)

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2009, 10:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

go with EPP and a procharger, way less headaches and things arent that packed under the hood. you will also have some of the best customer service in the industry. oh, I had that BBK intake and I had to get rid of it because i kept loosing boost thru that plate on the bottom no matter what I did to seal it
Old 11-22-2009, 11:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mightymike2000ss
Hey guys i've been looking around ALOT and i've decided its time for me to go into boost. im currently going to be running a 347 buy the end of winter, im getting my rebuild from texas speed. i have done alot of research and found the i will be running an sts kit.

the reason im posting this thread is because i have a few questions about boost as i am still a newb.

4)looking into sts kits, i was told i need to do something about the oil system what exactly does that mean? as well as running an intercooler, is there anyone that makes intercoolers for a rear mount?yes you can probably call STS to see if they have the components for it or you can fab one up like everyone else. I have a W2A one myself

all in all i should be able to be finished with my build at the end of this up coming summer, hopefully i can get some videos up and pictures of the build will its in process
ugh get the STS. You won't be disappointed plus I have been told that STS has now solved their issues with oiling but not sure because since I got mine I haven't worried about it. Seeing as though you are going to do a engine swap you can go ahead and tap the oil pan and not worry about it going to the valve cover. Wrapping the exhaust comes with all turbos it just differs in how much you wrap. If anyone says that the Kit won't make power then they are wrong. Paul Major proved that. People will give their opinions on it but for ease of install less fab work and being able to make power you certainly can. You said you researched the kit and I am sure you did so on here also and read the problems and solutions people have.
Old 11-23-2009, 09:50 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^^^ it don't matter how much you wrap or coat your rear mount setup, it will still be less efficient as a fount mount system.

and i think Paul Major's car is not front mount, isn't it ?
Old 11-23-2009, 12:36 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by elias_799
^^^ it don't matter how much you wrap or coat your rear mount setup, it will still be less efficient as a fount mount system.

Twin 88's in the trunk I believe.
Old 11-23-2009, 01:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

the kit works stop getting on here and repeating the same thing over and over again. The guy has done his research and this is what he wants. He didn't ask for opinions about what kit he should go with. I am not knocking front mount set-ups or anything like that or telling him he has to get the STS. Please stick to why the thread was started. I used Paul Major as an example that the kit works, makes power and can be fast if set-up properly. I am not saying he's car is gawd and can do everything a front mount can't or that it would out perform this or that. But with EVERY FI build you have to try to match every part you can to make the most of each kit. Yes the STS has con's but what doesn't what kit is just perfect in everybody's expectations with what they want with their car.
Old 11-23-2009, 02:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts

Thank you Mr. Fugitive those who never had a specific system shouldn't speak on it's behalf
Old 11-23-2009, 03:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Location: Home town Clive,IA current town FORT BENNING GEORGIA

yes i am going with an sts, just as soon as i can find a way to get an intercooler on it with out having cut much into my bumper, does sts make an intercooler kit for it?
Old 11-23-2009, 03:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

does anyone know how the exotic performance plus one is?

http://www.exoticperformanceplus.com....html?item=772
Old 11-23-2009, 07:47 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by The Fugitive
the kit works stop getting on here and repeating the same thing over and over again. The guy has done his research and this is what he wants. He didn't ask for opinions about what kit he should go with. I am not knocking front mount set-ups or anything like that or telling him he has to get the STS. Please stick to why the thread was started. I used Paul Major as an example that the kit works, makes power and can be fast if set-up properly. I am not saying he's car is gawd and can do everything a front mount can't or that it would out perform this or that. But with EVERY FI build you have to try to match every part you can to make the most of each kit. Yes the STS has con's but what doesn't what kit is just perfect in everybody's expectations with what they want with their car.
yea the kit works, just like if you throw in a blower in the trunk and run a huge belt from the front of the motor. it will still work, but is it the best way ? No.

you obviously have no idea of how a turbocharger works and what it takes to get it to work in the most efficient rage.

why do you think no car manufacturer snapped at the idea of having the turbo in the back ? not a single production car has the turbo's mounted in the back. and please do not say Porsche 911, because the motor is in the back too.

it is always an sts owner who does not like to admit that they bought the wrong turbo system.

and i really do not care about paul major. if you put together two motors side by side and one will have the turbo in the front as close as possible to the heat source and the other one will have it in the back. the one with the turbo mounted close to the motor will make power sooner and make more of it with the same setup.

so i will say it again, the whole point of turbocharging a car is to make power as efficiently as possible, so why get a rear mount system when the efficiency is killed ?
Old 11-23-2009, 08:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

hahah lets not fight now ladies hahah i have seen real good rear mounts i just want nothing in my engine bay. im trying to make it as clean *** possible..
Old 11-23-2009, 08:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

yea the kit works, just like if you throw in a blower in the trunk and run a huge belt from the front of the motor. it will still work, but is it the best way ? No.

you obviously have no idea of how a turbocharger works and what it takes to get it to work in the most efficient rage. stop assuming sh*t who says I don't tell me then in numbers and other data that it is less efficient not dyno numbers off of different cars with differen set ups make to completely identical cars and show me proof. Then no where did I say that anything out performs anything did I so STFU already

why do you think no car manufacturer snapped at the idea of having the turbo in the back ? not a single production car has the turbo's mounted in the back. and please do not say Porsche 911, because the motor is in the back too. because they have room to put it there a$$ so why mount it anywhere else when you don't need to duhr

it is always an sts owner who does not like to admit that they bought the wrong turbo system. I bought what I wanted and am satisfied have you ever owned one yeh no so again STFU

and i really do not care about paul major. if you put together two motors side by side and one will have the turbo in the front as close as possible to the heat source and the other one will have it in the back. the one with the turbo mounted close to the motor will make power sooner and make more of it with the same setup. Show me and prove it and if there is a 100rpm difference what difference does it make on a streetcar that someone just likes to have fun in

so i will say it again, the whole point of turbocharging a car is to make power as efficiently as possible, so why get a rear mount system when the efficiency is killed ? how much is the efficiency killed huh? if you don't have cold hard facts then stop bashing
So again stay out of threads with your opinions unless it pertains to what is being asked like I said he didn't ask for your opinion on the kit he did his research and chose this period
Old 11-23-2009, 09:13 PM
TECH Addict

all the proof i need is something we all learned in grade 4. hot air expands and that means that there is more of it. when air travels down a very long exhaust pipe(no matter how much it is wrapped or coated) it will still loose heat and that is why a turbo up front will produce more power, and it will make it much sooner.

also do you have any idea of how much response is killed by placing the turbo in the back and running long pipes to the inter cooler and then to the motor ? the shorter the piping is the more responsive the setup will be. all rally cars and drift car's are made like that, they even try to install the inter cooler the furthest in they can, to minimize the amount of piping used.

all i am trying to do is save this guy heartbreak, and i thought it was very on topic because other people warned him to stay away from the sts system. i just went further in detail to explain the serious flaws of the system.

you seem very immature, and as far you you stating that the reason why there is no production car made with the turbo in the back because of there is not room. all you need for the sts system is the removal of a muffler and you have all the room you need.

everything i have given you is a fact, you just can't seem to admit it or even argue it in a respectable manner, you just act like a little kid.
Old 11-23-2009, 09:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts

i'm with you 100% Fugitive! 100%. i've never had a front mounted turbo so i'm not going to compare what i dont know, but we know what a rear mount is capable of...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ciw8SRonn0M
Old 11-23-2009, 10:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

all the proof i need is something we all learned in grade 4. hot air expands and that means that there is more of it. when air travels down a very long exhaust pipe(no matter how much it is wrapped or coated) it will still loose heat and that is why a turbo up front will produce more power, and it will make it much sooner. good gawd ur slow yes this is what we know but does that couple of degrees make a diffence wen the system is ready to go and it heated up hmmmm I wonder like I said STS has it's cons but is just that the only reason as to not get a kit no like I said show me the numbers and data, how much heat is lost by it being placed there huh these are the things that need to be addressed!

also do you have any idea of how much response is killed by placing the turbo in the back and running long pipes to the inter cooler and then to the motor ? the shorter the piping is the more responsive the setup will be. all rally cars and drift car's are made like that, they even try to install the inter cooler the furthest in they can, to minimize the amount of piping used. in tenths and hundreds how much more responsive huh???? Have you ever thought hmm why isn't the sts kit just universal hmmm because they make it for the car to make if efficient

all i am trying to do is save this guy heartbreak, and i thought it was very on topic because other people warned him to stay away from the sts system. i just went further in detail to explain the serious flaws of the system. and what would be the heartbreak am I or other satisfied sts owners heartbroken???? I don't think so. Because you don't like it or it confuses you it's bad??? Don't knock it tell you try it is how the saying goes, and I am just saying stay on topic

you seem very immature, and as far you you stating that the reason why there is no production car made with the turbo in the back because of there is not room. all you need for the sts system is the removal of a muffler and you have all the room you need.again you may need lessons in comprehension what was mean was in the front of the car you say production this production that but have you seen a production ls motor with a front mount turbo????? I am immature because I look at both sides and don't judge without proper proof hmmm I see and making comments that say yes it does have flaw hmm yet again immature. If front mounts were the the end all of turbos there wouldn't be so many different kits and would have mastered one way of building it by now, the sts is just a variation for people period

everything i have given you is a fact, you just can't seem to admit it or even argue it in a respectable manner, you just act like a little kid. now to prove somthing there is the scientic method to do this everything looks good or bad on paper until you test it and hey I never said I was an adult I live being a kid because kids don't have closed minds like you.
now go break out some tools and prove it or better yet you make a turbo kit to keep everything stock that increases horsepower and torque and let's see what you come up with
Old 11-23-2009, 10:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

And for respect to the OP I won't argue anymore
Old 11-26-2009, 12:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

call some of the vendors on this site that sell and install them on a regular basis. thats probably your best bet. I have the EPP intercooler and obviously you wont have a front bumper anymore and you may want to cut some things out in the front to improve airflow. I have a billet grill for mine which greatly increased flow and looks pretty good too.
Old 11-26-2009, 01:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

so what exactly is need to run an sts, im buying the kit i dont need injectors or the programmer because i will be getting a dyno tune. but what exactly is need to run a safe sts turbo kit?
Old 11-26-2009, 01:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

adequate fuel supply, good tuner. seriously though, do yourself a favor and call Bob from EPP and talk to him before you jump into something before your ready. I was in your shoes several years ago and im glad I called him before I shelled out several thousand on my car
Old 11-26-2009, 01:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

does bob have a name on here where i can shoot him a p.m.
Old 11-26-2009, 02:09 PM
EPP
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mightymike2000ss
does bob have a name on here where i can shoot him a p.m.
I'm right here. Bob