Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Vortech vs Procharger, Camshafts, and other FI questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2009, 02:11 PM
EPP
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree, go with the D-1SC. It comes with the wider 8 rib belt and the larger 4.5" twin intercoolers instead of the thinner 3.5" intercoolers. You have to be careful though, a D-1SC kit can be ordered as a P-1SC with the head unit upgraded to a D-1SC. You end up with a D-1Sc with the 6 rib belt and the smaller intercoolers. I have seen shops try to sell them this way so the customer thinks he is getting a great deal. Bob
Old 12-07-2009, 07:17 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Exotic Performance Plus
Thanks for ordering your parts from me, I appreciate it! Bob
Not a problem Bob, I appreciate you guys working with me to make sure that I had the right parts.
Old 12-08-2009, 11:33 PM
On The Tree

Well doesnt this sound like a nice little Vortech bashing session... If you want self contained get a V2 Vortech head unit its self contained just like the procharger. Since you have a TA you can get a V1 or V7 Vortech kits from RMCR performance like mine and make tons of power just like a procharger and it will fit under the stock hood with no issues. If you go with the Vortech and use the air-to-water after cooler instead of the FMIC you dont have to modify or cut up the car any. Just an idea but im sure with this much opposition your mind is made up...Check out http://www.rmcrperformance.com they sell the vortech upgrade kits.
Old 12-08-2009, 11:43 PM
On The Tree

Sorry, I meant to say the V3 is self contained. You shouldnt have any trouble getting 475+ with either kit, may have to restrict it a little to keep it at 475.
Old 12-08-2009, 11:45 PM
-Q-
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Actually, my mind is far from made up. The Vortech kits I've seen are much more cost effective, and I don't mind the look of them under the hood. The engine bay of a WS6 is far from something to behold anyways. I was hoping to get a little more feedback on the Vortech kits in this thread. That's the problem...just not as much info out there.

Do you know anything about the V9-G trim units? I know you have to tap the oil pan, but I don't know that it is that big of a deal, really. I was only planning on running 6-8psi anyways, so that kit kind of fits my needs. I'd appreciate any other info I could get on the Vortech stuff...
Old 12-08-2009, 11:46 PM
-Q-
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by TransAmatt99
Sorry, I meant to say the V3 is self contained. You shouldnt have any trouble getting 475+ with either kit, may have to restrict it a little to keep it at 475.
I just threw 475 out there as a number. I wouldn't turn my nose up at 500+
Old 12-09-2009, 12:38 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TransAmatt99
Well doesnt this sound like a nice little Vortech bashing session...
No..... just sounds like Procharger happens to be the choice based on those that have posted.
Old 12-10-2009, 07:30 AM
-Q-
TECH Fanatic

Bump for any other thoughts?
Old 12-10-2009, 07:41 AM
TECH Veteran

im currently in the same desicion making process, as of right now, i been planning a procharger all the way, but i dont know if thats just becuase all the people here use them.
I do know that a procharger setup is pretty expensive. lol
Old 12-10-2009, 10:24 AM
10 Second Club

I have had a Vortech since 2001. I upgraded from a g trim, to a T-trim, to a YSi and then a cog drive. I can tell you the non-self contained oiling is a non issue. I have never heard of anyone having a problem with it (consider that all turbos are fed engine oil). Also you don't have to do a separate oil change for the blower. At a cruise in it gets lots of attention because the blower is there for all to see vs a Procharger where you have to point out where the blower is. All the upper tubing comes off in 5 minutes (held on with hose clamps).
Down sides: You have to be careful with an air/water intercooler. It can't be hot lapped at the track without cooling the water first. Also you can't really get into a prolonged all out driving situation because again the water will overheat and overwhelm the heat exchnager easily (I have dual thermostatic electric fans on an aftermarket heat exchanger). The G-trim only pumps out 800 CFM and can't compete with a 1450 CFM D1SC.
There are a couple companies that sell upgraded Vortech kits, SpeedInc. and RMCR. I know from RMCR you can get options like a custom high flow aluminum air lid and 4" intake tube + a cog drive (I have them all). I wouldn't mind you going the Procharger route though because I like my car being different than most.
Old 12-10-2009, 11:25 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I with the member Transamatt99 RMCR dose a great vortech kit. The vortech kits are alot cheaper than the procharger, and that's how i will be going . but don't know top mount or low mount with a water intercooler from Frozenboost.com. GO VORTECH and dont think twice
Old 12-10-2009, 11:48 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by -Q-
Do you know anything about the V9-G trim units? I know you have to tap the oil pan, but I don't know that it is that big of a deal, really. I was only planning on running 6-8psi anyways, so that kit kind of fits my needs. I'd appreciate any other info I could get on the Vortech stuff...
When I bought my car it had the vortech V9-G on it. With a set of 317 unported heads, ls6 intake, stock tb, and full exhaust spun by a 2.95" pulley it put down ~8#'s which made 499rwhp on speed incs dyno. I would recommend taking it to a reputable shop to get the pan tapped but that is only a minor cost, and like 2001ws6vert said turbos are the same and you only have to do one oil change, tap it, hook up the lines and your all set. I also think that a v9-g compared to a p1sc is kinda like apples and oranges the v9 is a smaller capability head unit therefore you cant expect identical performance. However with that said if you went with a V1 setup it should have no problem of maxing out your stock bottom end so keep that in mind
Old 12-10-2009, 12:23 PM
-Q-
TECH Fanatic

A Vortech V9-Gtrim kit, brand new in the box with everything but a tune, just sold on Ebay for $2600. Now that is damned tempting, and the seller apparently has multiple kits for sale because he listed another today.
Old 12-10-2009, 12:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Go for that , then upgrade later when u want more !
Old 12-10-2009, 12:43 PM
-Q-
TECH Fanatic

OK guys, the seller from the auction just offered me a kit for $2600 buy-it-now. This seems like a really good freaking deal, but I just had shoulder surgery yesterday and I'm on some strong meds, so I may be missing something, LOL. Can you guys take a look at this link and give me some thoughts?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...=STRK:MEWAX:IT
Old 12-10-2009, 01:00 PM
TWS
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by -Q-
My 2001 Camaro SS has the V9-G kit. It is pullied for 9 PSI and it made 463 RWHP SAE and 475 RWHP STD. This is with a few add ons like 85mm MAF, Spectacle Solutions lid, and minor exhaust mods. However, the car still has stock exhaust manifolds and stock cats!

My 2002 Z28 has a Procharger D1SC kit. Since it was last on a dyno (years ago) I have upgraded to the 4.5" intercoolers, larger EPP recommended air filter, and the black anodized Procharger bypass valve. I also just recently upgraded to 8 rib pullies and an 85mm MAF. The car put down 479 RWHP before all of the upgrades to the kit. Now it should be North of 500 to the wheels. We are strapping it to the dyno on Tuesday.

The Procharged car is definitely meaner than my Vortech car, but I like them both a lot. THe D1SC is a bigger head unit and flows a lot more. It has more room to "improve" than my Vortech kit - which I have mostly left alone since install years ago.

Vortech:

Procharger:

Dyno pull, Vortech car:

http://www.fquick.com/videos/viewvideo.php?id=8799

I'm definitely not a "heavy hitter" in the FI community, but I think my input would be helpful for someone just starting out since I haven't progressed much further than that myself.
Old 12-10-2009, 01:23 PM
-Q-
TECH Fanatic

Thanks very much, that's good info. What do you do for air filtration/induction for the Vortech kit...does the kit come with a filter? I see you're running the SS lid, and I'd probably look at doing something like that as well if the kit doesn't come with anything.
Old 12-10-2009, 02:00 PM
-Q-
TECH Fanatic

Think I see the problem with the Ebay kit...that particular kit doesn't come with the aftercooler...
Old 12-10-2009, 03:07 PM
TWS
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by -Q-
Thanks very much, that's good info. What do you do for air filtration/induction for the Vortech kit...does the kit come with a filter? I see you're running the SS lid, and I'd probably look at doing something like that as well if the kit doesn't come with anything.
The kit, as delivered by Vortech, uses your stock F-body lid. I replaced it with the Spectacle lid and cut some Gates hose to make my own couplers.

The Spectacle lid is great. IIRC, I gained like 19 RWHP. Did 8 dyno pulls to verfiy. 4 with stock lid (and mine has been sanded smooth on the inside top, making it possibly better than a bone stock OEM lid) and 4 with the Spectacle lid.
Was maxing out the stock MAF, so went to ZO6 MAF and a custom retune.
Old 12-10-2009, 04:25 PM
Teching In

+100 on RMCR....and Vortech...GWS Vortech customer service though. If you DO GO Vortech...RMCR has awesome customer service and support.

Quick Reply: Vortech vs Procharger, Camshafts, and other FI questions