Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

High boost head gaskets

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2009, 10:38 PM
9 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default High boost head gaskets

I heard from a very reputable source that they always use the stock GM MLS head gaskets on all of their boosted motors. I just want to see what others are running. I have been running Cometics but push water constantly. I'm about to put a new set on and am leaning heavily towards the stockers (LS7 .051) I am running ~19-20lbs of boost 10.3 compression.
Old 12-24-2009, 11:46 PM
8 Second Club

i ran 17lbs consistant on ls3 head gaskets. i did make some runs at 20lbs with no issues. i also have the ebay head studs!!! my motor is 9.0:1 though.
Old 12-24-2009, 11:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by T-Bones Goat
I heard from a very reputable source that they always use the stock GM MLS head gaskets on all of their boosted motors. I just want to see what others are running. I have been running Cometics but push water constantly. I'm about to put a new set on and am leaning heavily towards the stockers (LS7 .051) I am running ~19-20lbs of boost 10.3 compression.
Cometics seem to do very well in high boost LT-1s and have seen some LS-1's without issues. Need to assure a certain surface finish though.
Old 12-25-2009, 06:26 AM
9 Second Club

Received 180 Likes on 155 Posts

Stock GM gaskets work great for many people, and are cheap too !!

What more could ya ask for ?
Old 12-25-2009, 09:45 AM
On The Tree

L92 or the ls9 head gasket will work for ya.
Old 12-25-2009, 09:51 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have cometic on my talon which sees like 25psi. no issues. Block and head prep was important for cometics. I also used a bit of copper spray even though cometic said not to.
I used ls7 in my current build but was reading how the water jackets don't line up exactly. I have afr 225 heads with arp head studs. I have seen no water but so far have not gone beyond the 7.5psi level. Upgrading turbos and plan to push to 15 or maybe 20psi tops. Was thinking to go to cometic or ls9 if did change out or have problems with the ls7 ones.
My 408 is surfaced ok for the cometics according to builder.

Few other things to keep in mind are what heads are you running and too much timing can lift think just about head with just about any gasket. Thicker heads are better of course .

So what are you running for the rest of your setup..head studs, heads..timing..
Old 12-25-2009, 11:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

For moderate boost setups, the MLS have proven to work the best. On my previous TT T/A I ran 18psi daily driven and never had a head gasket problem. On my current setup, we're going into the mid 20s boost wise and are giving the SCE full Copper head gaskets a shot. We're currently dyno tuning and have only seen 18psi on a partial throttle run but I'll have more news in a week or 2.
Old 12-25-2009, 12:57 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by MY99TAWS6
I have cometic on my talon which sees like 25psi. no issues. Block and head prep was important for cometics. I also used a bit of copper spray even though cometic said not to.
I used ls7 in my current build but was reading how the water jackets don't line up exactly. I have afr 225 heads with arp head studs. I have seen no water but so far have not gone beyond the 7.5psi level. Upgrading turbos and plan to push to 15 or maybe 20psi tops. Was thinking to go to cometic or ls9 if did change out or have problems with the ls7 ones.
My 408 is surfaced ok for the cometics according to builder.

Few other things to keep in mind are what heads are you running and too much timing can lift think just about head with just about any gasket. Thicker heads are better of course .

So what are you running for the rest of your setup..head studs, heads..timing..
I have a Warhawk LS7X but currenty only have 4 bolt heads. They are ETP heads with ARP studs. Timing is at 24 degrees with Q16 and a little meth.

Last edited by T-Bones Goat; 12-25-2009 at 01:08 PM.
Old 12-25-2009, 01:49 PM
10 Second Club

I am running stock mls gaskets with arp studs
Old 12-25-2009, 08:47 PM
FormerVendor

Travis, I used to have water pushing problems with the Cometics. I did some brain picking of the "faster then I guys" and found that the torque specs ARP gives are too low.
I increased my head stud torque about 10 ft lbs more and I never pushed water again.
I also use the indian head copper spray on both sides of the gasket now too but the higher torque values really did the trick.

The new engine is getting o-ringed.
Old 12-25-2009, 10:27 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by Gforce Engineering
Travis, I used to have water pushing problems with the Cometics. I did some brain picking of the "faster then I guys" and found that the torque specs ARP gives are too low.
I increased my head stud torque about 10 ft lbs more and I never pushed water again.
I also use the indian head copper spray on both sides of the gasket now too but the higher torque values really did the trick.

My engine builder also recommended getting the o-ring setup when I get the motor freshened up. For now, it's just a set of gaskets. How much tq did you go to? 80lbs?
Old 12-26-2009, 12:47 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Gforce Engineering

This must be an issue that occurs with the LSX specifically as i have never run into anyone running a regular old small block (including the LT-1) pushing water with cometics even at crazy high boost levels.
Old 12-26-2009, 08:50 AM
TECH Senior Member

The cometics and gm mls are practically the same
just crank um down
Old 12-26-2009, 08:42 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 355TurboLT1
This must be an issue that occurs with the LSX specifically as i have never run into anyone running a regular old small block (including the LT-1) pushing water with cometics even at crazy high boost levels.
It is. You have twice the head bolts holding your **** down. I also torque a little tighter with ARP studs. I had some very minor "seeping" on my nitrous setup early in the game. With the engine still warm I pulled the headers down and re-torque to 85 (on all the studs besides the top), and never had another problem. I have used copper spray, and I have also put them on dry with no issues either way. I'm seriously considering the GM MLS gaskets on my turbo setup though. Still haven't decided yet.
Old 12-27-2009, 12:11 AM
9 Second Club

A lot of the go fast guys are running the ZR1 gasket if you have a 4" bore or larger.They will handle 20% more torque then a stock LS3 gasket and are twice as thick.
Old 12-27-2009, 02:52 AM
...with cheese.

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

GM MLS gaskets on a well prepped deck are hard to beat.
Old 12-27-2009, 12:19 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You ca increase the bolt/stud torque, but remember, once you meet the yield strength of the bolt, they cannot be reused. They essentially become torque to yield bolts. Sort of an expensive "throw away" part.

You can call ARP & get the max values for the fastener you use, but I would guess they are at approx 80% (wihout running any calcs) of the yield strength.

Quick Reply: High boost head gaskets