Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Cheapest Place for an STS System for an LT1

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2009, 12:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Cheapest Place for an STS System for an LT1

I have a '95 Z auto that I would like to get a STS system for in the next month or so... where is the cheapest place to go?
Old 12-29-2009, 12:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ZGOBYBY
I have a '95 Z auto that I would like to get a STS system for in the next month or so... where is the cheapest place to go?
You could get it done cheaper yourself without buying a kit. A good shop could build your piping and tuck it away much nicer than STS. Ebay intercooler $150, MPT70 for $600, Wastegate for $300, BOV for $250, Oil lines and fitting $400, Oil pump $300. That gives you an idea, but a rearmount isn't that hard to do. You can do it better and cheaper than a STS kit.

Edit: You have a Camaro, why not get a KYTP front mount kit. Or an Ebay kit and just put a good turbo and wastegate with it.
Old 12-29-2009, 12:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Who is KYTP? Kentucky turbo...? I am set on a turbo, but the STS system looks the easiest to set up. If anyone else has any ideas... shoot. Thanks for the suggestion!
Old 12-29-2009, 01:01 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a RealQuick front mount system for sale here...https://ls1tech.com/forums/non-lsx-p...bo-system.html

Jerry
Old 12-29-2009, 01:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Who is KYTP? Kentucky turbo...? I am set on a turbo, but the STS system looks the easiest to set up. If anyone else has any ideas... shoot. Thanks for the suggestion!
Kentucky Turbo. STS is pretty easy, it just has some janky **** that shouldn't be used. Like their PCV system. It blew oil all over my engine bay when I had one. The oil pumps like to fail also.
Old 12-29-2009, 01:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Call josh over at Kentucky Turbo, very nice guy. You would be much better off with one of his kits. No need to re-invent the wheel with his setups and knowledge.
Old 12-29-2009, 02:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I guess I never considered them, since on there site it looked like mostly LS1 stuff. How were their installation and prices. This is going to be done in my garage.
Old 12-29-2009, 02:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

I guess I never considered them, since on there site it looked like mostly LS1 stuff. How were their installation and prices. This is going to be done in my garage.
Just give him a call.
Old 12-30-2009, 07:32 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TurboAv
Just give him a call.
So, as I figured, Josh does not do LT1 kits. I contacted him yesterday and he said that he only does LS1 stuff. Anyone else have any ideas on the cheapest place to pick up an STS kit... or a kit comparible in price and ease of installation?
Old 12-30-2009, 09:42 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Your only other choices would be Turbo Technologies out of tacoma washington ( i know for a fact they make an LT-1 kit). I have used them in the past for tuning on my old procharger set up when I lived in seatte, great company! And....... lt1boost.net. Those are the only other ones I know of. PTK made one of the best LT-1 kits but they are no longer and the kits that still do exist for sale by private parties are expensive.

Or its time to break out the TIG and get creative!

Last edited by 355TurboLT1; 12-30-2009 at 09:44 AM. Reason: accuracy
Old 12-30-2009, 10:14 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 355TurboLT1
Your only other choices would be Turbo Technologies out of tacoma washington ( i know for a fact they make an LT-1 kit). I have used them in the past for tuning on my old procharger set up when I lived in seatte, great company! And....... lt1boost.net. Those are the only other ones I know of. PTK made one of the best LT-1 kits but they are no longer and the kits that still do exist for sale by private parties are expensive.

Or its time to break out the TIG and get creative!
And where can I find some info on Turbo Technologies? I have looked at lt1boost.net, but would like to explore all my options.
Old 12-30-2009, 10:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

http://turbotechnologyinc.com/site/
Old 12-30-2009, 08:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

to be honest I don't know what the difference would be between the ls1 and the lt1 kits. does anyone know what it would be? because as far I as would suspect would be the MAF stuff and maybe how you would wire the pump up.
Old 12-31-2009, 09:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

I use to do "kits" but I found that every car is different, to get them to fit really well. My customer base shifted to custom built systems so the kits faded. Its risky, saying you ll do a kit, then have the end user not be able to really complete the install nicely. Then you as the fabricator get the brunt. The customer isnt happy, your not happy as the fabricator, etc.

Its easy for me to make alterations in a build, but an end user doesnt have the tools or experience to be able to see the easy solution to a mis aligned pipe, or drain line etc. The other problem is price.....its always bad when a custom says.....whos cheapest..? Really, because engine swaps are not cheap. Engine rebuilds are not cheap either.

When I do a system.......it includes....

a scan guage, injectors, fuel pump, intercooler, water /meth, turbo, pipes, clamps couplers, waist gate, bov (if needed), etc etc.....and I will not do it any other way. If you dont want to change injectors because of cost, no deal. If you dont like the look of the scan gauge......no deal. If you do not want to convert to an SD operating system........no deal.

Most stock engine turbo systems I do, also include head studs, heads sometimes, and a zo6 cam.......and of course substantial tuning. Its more then just getting boost to it, its having control of everything when the boost gets there too.

There is a difference in the 400-500 hp set ups and the 500-800 set ups. An sts lt1 will dyno 425 probably......so is it the cheapest?
Old 12-31-2009, 04:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

the STS kit for the LT1 and LS1 are pretty much the same except the MAF setup and oil pump but if i remember the manual tells you how to wire up both...
if it was me, id go with one of realquicks setups. i like the way jon does the hotside and he is a great knowledgable guy. if he did LS1's id buy one of his setups in a heart beat
Old 02-02-2010, 04:14 PM
On The Tree

how much are you willing to spend, I have an sts kit for sale
Old 02-08-2010, 05:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by qwickLT1WS6
how much are you willing to spend, I have an sts kit for sale
is it for an lt1?..does it come with anything extra...?
i now have an 93 lt1 T/A and looking into options..since i was an ls1 owner i have no idea where to start,i can tell a fmic setup on the lt1 seems a lil involved,i got away with the ebay kit last time and dont wana cut up engine bay this time...motor has 177,000 on the clock so.......lots of stuff to look into ,if an sts kit on a well broke in lt1 is sort of safe..on low boost i'll have some fun with it and plan for stroking and forging later

Quick Reply: Cheapest Place for an STS System for an LT1